[Event] 947 Cycle Challenge 2016

SWAGG

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was going on the limit most of the way.. i should mention my age is 26.. So yeah mostly zone 4 all way, with not enough voomah to even kick at the end.

A buddy of mine, averaged 180bpm. More or less same stats as mine and same age.. But his HR is generally higher than mine on training..

Hence my asking, I am the same age and weight but 188cm. 

Also have a buddy who hits 180bpm just swinging a leg over a bike.

How was your training build-up to race day and the week of the race?

The GFs best friends wedding on Saterday, so the options was clear and minimal.

Ouch!!! Did you race with a sore head as well? :P

A bit late to the responses but here's my 2c on the race and the experience.

Had a tough first 50km sitting in front with not a lot guys in C wanting be in front. Had a better second section but struggled a bit by the time we hit Steyn City. Very happy with my 2:37 from C though. Just made me think how much of a difference your bunch's willingness to work has an effect on your ride. Being a MTB'r actually still something to figure out for me. Hopefully next year better seeding will allow me a sub 2:30. Was my first 94.7 and enjoyed it.

Second lap allowed me some sight seeing and taking in the environment. Max speed was around 77.8km/hr.

Hence my asking, I am the same age and weight but 188cm. 

Also have a buddy who hits 180bpm just swinging a leg over a bike.

How was your training build-up to race day and the week of the race?

The build up was not the best I must admit..

3 weeks before, so basically the week after Amashova, I did 3 tough sessions and felt quite abit of fatigue. I didn't recover enough and I cut down on training during the last 3 weeks to try and get some fresh legs..

Strava activities logged. Ebrahim Omer. If you wanna analyse some more ;-)

i was also in C but i think we were in the second group, did my best to catch up to the first group but working alone it just wasnt possible, out of kyalami i had two guys who helped alot and we pulled most of the bunch between the three of us till the end of the highway the one guy had a red kit on and the other was on a black giant propel, i was also on the exact same black propel, we buried ourselves and ride way too hard but it was just too much fun to stop, at the end of the highway a big group from D caught us and our group broke up.

interesting to note that the breakaways that lasted or got away from the groups happened from many different places and distances on the course, i always thought when the racing guys check the course out only 1 or 2 places would stand out as ideal to make your move and most would recognise those places. JA-Q001 said they broke away at the start of the M1, thats relatively flat and very far out.

A good course has multiple places :thumbup:

Yoh! There are some quick okes on the HUB. You guys are machines....

Quick question regarding A-batch, being a first time rider in this group and having been thoroughly schooled. (Main bunch dropped us before Kyalami). Is there any organisation at the front of A group? Or is it a case of guys busting lungs just to stay in the front.

Yoh! There are some quick okes on the HUB. You guys are machines....

Quick question regarding A-batch, being a first time rider in this group and having been thoroughly schooled. (Main bunch dropped us before Kyalami). Is there any organisation at the front of A group? Or is it a case of guys busting lungs just to stay in the front.

Sort of. Bestmed seem to have a few guys who work together and all who can try to stop them

Started VB, very nervous as my first 947 in the racing category and my 6th in total.

Dont believe I was/am race fit, looking at the numbers on my SportTrack i am about 15-20% down on CTL scores from earlier in the year.....

Finishing time: 2:33

Max Speed: 79.8

Ave HR:             176

Max HR              191

Ave Power:        195(2.7)

Max Power:     650(8.6)

NP:                    250(3.47)

20min Power:    231(3.21)

TSS:                 252.3

Ave Cad:            65

Current weight:  72

The build up was not the best I must admit..

3 weeks before, so basically the week after Amashova, I did 3 tough sessions and felt quite abit of fatigue. I didn't recover enough and I cut down on training during the last 3 weeks to try and get some fresh legs..

Strava activities logged. Ebrahim Omer. If you wanna analyse some more ;-)

Can't see individual activities but had a look at your overall stats.

looking at your training I think you might have gone out a bit to hard and thus suffered towards the end.

An increase in training will help in this regard, seeing as it pretty flat in boksburg you could concentrate on doing more climbing as for the same weekly distance I get a least double the climbing.

3 weeks is a long time before to ease up, Normally the last week is easy with Tuesday being the last day any interval is done.

With not being able to stick with the big groups.

Do you train in a group or on your own?

Thanks for the tips..

I did realise this year I have not done many hills, and probably why I suffered on the climbs..

Only reason for cutting down was, I was feeling burnt out and was not recovering well..

Been training majority on my own which makes sense why I can't stick when there are surges in the group..

Ah well, back to the drawing board, and better training for 2017 I guess..

The GFs best friends wedding on Saterday, so the options was clear and minimal.

I was DJing night before, on my feet all day, heavy gear carrying and 4 glasses of coke for the night ... 

1 hour sleep and straight to the race , cramped from Kyalami to the end , stopped 4 times to stretch ... 3h23 (fun factor = a gazillion)

It was a very sad day for me out there ... but would not miss it for the world  :clap: