Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice thread, even though it's hijacked!

If anyone's interested, I've done full step-by-step breakdowns of some of the stuff I've built primarily with handtools and traditional techniques.

they're at http://brettnetherton.imgur.com/

Good places for old tools: Milnerton market (provided you've done your research about buying old tools) and the Pawn Shop on Voortrekker Road, next to McDonald's. 

A great reference to building things the old way - and an amazing teacher - is Paul Sellers on Youtube.

And some nice woods: just next to Rare Woods in Epping, there's a warehouse where their commercially-unusable stock goes. It's open Monday, Wednesday and Friday, if I remember correctly. Geoffrey is the man to speak to (but do not call him Geoff!)

Bravo to all cycling woodworkers, and woodworking cyclists!

Some seriously nice work you turn out. Do you do this for a living?

My first order of business is to get my workplace sorted out.  Well, let's call it that, it is more a mess of stuff laying around to be sorted.  And then I have a leaky roof also.

First thing I need to do is storage, and I am thinking of building mobile work and storage stations.  Like this http://www.startwoodworking.com/post/roll-away-workshop 

Then I need to finish my workbench.  I have a Record 52 QR woodworking vise that I have been saving for it, as well as the Veritas Twin-Screw End Vice.  But at the moment every weekend we are MTBing with the two boys.

Priorities.  Maybe by the time the boys move out, it will be done.  :blush:

very nice.

I also recently started looking at doing something similar.  Keep us posted on how it works.  It looks way to clean for a work bench!

It's pretty basic, measured the space I had for a bench, googled some design ideas.....

Sure it's clean, or was...... that picture was taken a few minutes after completion.  :thumbup:   

Some seriously nice work you turn out. Do you do this for a living?

Thanks, Ed-Zulu. I tried making a living from it for two years, until January this year, but that pretty much ruined the bank balance. I've kept the tools, but don't have anywhere to work anymore. Such is life.

That Pool table is magnificent!

Thanks, my parents moved just after i finished school to namibia and they are moving back next year so after a LOOOOOONG wait i am finally getting it in my own home.

It was designed to be a dinning room table as well.

Hypothetically speaking, if one were to come across a large number of genuine, legal, 24 year old Yellowwood boards about 3m x 300mm x 22mm, what would one make with them? (Other than a table)

Serious question.

All I know is that a Philistine like me should not touch them with a saw :)

Hypothetically speaking, if one were to come across a large number of genuine, legal, 24 year old Yellowwood boards about 3m x 300mm x 22mm, what would one make with them? (Other than a table)

Serious question.

You buy them as a retirement policy!

Serious question.

Lucky man.A zillion years ago I made 3 coffee tables 600 x 600 with yellowwood tops from 300 wide planks.My son has them now

LE TURBO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

how you been ? its been some time, and it takes old fashioned wood to get you back !

My first order of business is to get my workplace sorted out.  Well, let's call it that, it is more a mess of stuff laying around to be sorted.  And then I have a leaky roof also.

First thing I need to do is storage, and I am thinking of building mobile work and storage stations.  Like this http://www.startwoodworking.com/post/roll-away-workshop

Then I need to finish my workbench.  I have a Record 52 QR woodworking vise that I have been saving for it, as well as the Veritas Twin-Screw End Vice.  But at the moment every weekend we are MTBing with the two boys.

Priorities.  Maybe by the time the boys move out, it will be done.  :blush:

Hi Moridin, I made a rolling cart for wood storage, both sheet and plank goods. Also put my table saw on a rolling cabinet with 3 x drawers, 1 deep and two medium depth for tools and storage etc.

Lumber cart plans check out Steve Ramsey on youtube...table saw I did on sketch-up but don't have the plans anymore. It should be specific to your saw in any case. Point is, rolling storage for any workshop is extremely functional and super practical.

The pool table was been a couple of years back, my final project at school. Dont have the space to make big stuff at the moment.

Have made some pallet couches, large table for outside braai (photo attached), couple of coffee tables, redid our kitchen and bedroom cupboards last year and i am planning a plasma unit as well but the wood prices are killing me.

attachicon.giftafel.jpg

attachicon.giftafel2.png

Pool table looks great :thumbup:

My Matric project was a wall clock and it's still hanging by my moms place.

I am really starting to like the idea of woodwork. Always been a steel work person up until recently when I built a dog box (Yeah yuck it up all you Gipettos out there but you gotta start somewhere...)

There is just something non Philistine about woodworking...

I have a few ideas that I want to do in wood but haven't got the foggiest idea where to get descent timber from. 

My most recent project was a headboard which ended up being made of stained pine as none of the timber merchants that I phoned in the greater Pinetown/Westmead area bothered to call me back with pricing....

For the time being I own a Skill Saw, an orbital sander (The rectangular one), an electric plane and a jigsaw. would like to add a router to that and that should do me for the time being. 

Looking to make a display type case for my wife next... Might just cut my teeth on pine again and colour wash it for the Shabby Chic look.....

Cover ALL your exposed skin with talcum powder (lots of it) before sanding - then when you are done, go straight into the shower and let the water do the first bit of rinsing before you touch skin with a hand.

And use a proper dust cartridge mask

You won't itch at all (I used to glass and sand surfboards as a kid - was the boss man's trick - and he HATED sanding too...

Another top trick to clean yourself and your equipment, is to use washing machine powder.

Make it into a paste and use it to clean your equipment, stops the itch. 

Another top trick to clean yourself and your equipment, is to use washing machine powder.

Make it into a paste and use it to clean your equipment, stops the itch. 

Can I suggest an anti-biotic if your equipment itches.... :) 4g Penicillin will stop the drip too..... :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: