Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

:cursing: , so now that you lot have hijaxed my thread  :clap: ....

other than nerd, is there any one else who can help ?  :blush:

Sorry about that. I use a marking knife and make a jig for a specific project, you can also use a carpet knife/slanley knife. Alternatively clamp all the pieces together and use a square to mark with a knife. I made this garden bench for my wife from Rhodesian teak, not a screw or nail to be found in it. Mainly mortise and tenon.

http://http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r156/war63423/Copy%202%20of%202008_1018Woodwork0005_zpsgmic3wzs.jpg

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Start by glueing up one side, then next etc...when the square is completed dry lay up of the pieces are done, then you work in one go. to get the centre done. 

Once dried, you start filling the gaps by filling with made off-cuts, but don't fill all the gaps, keep some for artistic purposes...

??????????????????????????????????????

I think I must be tired.... not following your process very well

Start by glueing up one side, then next etc...when the square is completed dry lay up of the pieces are done, then you work in one go. to get the centre done. 

Once dried, you start filling the gaps by filling with made off-cuts, but don't fill all the gaps, keep some for artistic purposes...

??????????????????????????????????????

I think I must be tired.... not following your process very well

Do the four sides first.

Then the middle bit :blush:

right Mr Show off pants boy with some fancy work there (I am not jealous at all ... :whistling: ) .... do you own a double pin mortise gauge ? ^_^

No. I use a knife and a jig which I make up for each project. Or. The tenon I cut on a Triton table saw in cross cut set up and the mortise I cut out using a router.

right Mr Show off pants boy with some fancy work there (I am not jealous at all ... :whistling: ) .... do you own a double pin mortise gauge ? ^_^

Nope. I use a single pin one, and mark from both sides.

Use the one you have

Thanks! The tops are Rhodesian Teak, 50mm thick, counter space total is 4mX600mm. The bottom stuff is, sigh, stained pine. I suggested to the client that we take industrial pine, from the  mills, and spray a matt black over them. Initially he agreed, but then reversed decision and asked me to stain it. I'd much rather have kept it to the rough-sawn pine than stain it, but I think it came out ok in the end.

I have seen a technique whereby the pine is burned with a torch that looks really nice.

Unfortunately the only thing I can show is a gate for my garden made from Balau and the base for my woodworking bench, al done with through mortise and tenon joints from pine.  I tried to do the top from pine also, but i just can't find pine beans straight enough.  And beech or maple is gonna hurt my wallet too much.  Still thinking of some ideas though.  

I have seen a technique whereby the pine is burned with a torch that looks really nice.

having worked in a factory that used 98% pine, I am off the stuff completely.

The resin, and the resulting sticky dust that gest left everywhere on everything is terrible...think of the ceiling of a fish and chips shop in town...

Edit: Post Friday beer typing skills

Edited by RocknRolla