Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another one, since you are still trying to find something to say...

http://www.holteyplanes.com/images/A6newp1pa.jpg

I found a word...bespoke?

Sjoe.. a lot of talent here.. keep posting pics that way I can just show them to hubby and say.. I want this, I want that, and this too.[emoji39]

Reading this thread is quite inspiring. I want not for tools or space. I have built my collection over the years and now have wonderful tools. My table saw, band saw and edge jointer are The green Electra Beckum made in W Germany, kitty spindle molder, an industrial 15 inch planer, dewald radial arm saw, wood lathe as well. My sash clamps are all record. Vises are record. My dedicated mitre saw is an industrial Makita.

I like Festool hand tools and I have managed to gather the router (love it) 3 different sanders and my cordless drill/ screwdriver, and lastly the jigsaw. Big compressor as well.

My great grandfather was a cabinet maker and I have his work chest in the workshop. Have not really looked through it as old tools don't really appeal.

Despite all my effort in getting my tools, I don't use them. My wife likes this furniture that looks rough and unfinished, gaps in the table top, doors that don't fit, smudged paint effects. I can't do it. Square and well finished are what I like to build.

Any how I need to look on indescribables for some ideas and make something. Last thing I made was my reloading bench.

Edited by RyanD

I get plenty of mdf from my work so I have lots of creations around the house here are some arm rest tray type things.

Nice! I've always found that a Camelbak works quite well in these situations.

made another smaller kist for daughter no 2 and then 1 of 3 plant pots. Quite rustic but with some paint it'll be cool. It's about 1m tall

So far I've spent R400 on palette wood and I've done

cladding on one bathroom wall

made 2 kists

made 1 plant pot

and I've maybe got through a 3rd of the wood.

only had to buy screws and a few 22mm square pieces for the corners.

so around R600 in total so far and lots of wood still to use.

post-1946-0-00651200-1464589944_thumb.jpg

made another smaller kist for daughter no 2 and then 1 of 3 plant pots. Quite rustic but with some paint it'll be cool. It's about 1m tall

So far I've spent R400 on palette wood and I've done

cladding on one bathroom wall

made 2 kists

made 1 plant pot

and I've maybe got through a 3rd of the wood.

only had to buy screws and a few 22mm square pieces for the corners.

so around R600 in total so far and lots of wood still to use.

Looks like you got some good pallets there!

I get plenty of mdf from my work so I have lots of creations around the house here are some arm rest tray type things.

What are you using as undercoat on that MDF?

I am trying to find an appropriate sprayable undercoat - something 2k compatible.

Tested my wood working "skills" this weekend.....

I have had a small bookshelf in my garage for well over 15 years that I have been threatening to strip for a very long time. Not very big. About hip high with 3 shelves. I decided that this was the weekend. I pulled it out and relieved it of the accumulated cr@p that it had been burdened with over the last decade and a half and proceeded to do an assessment.

Started of with the conservative approach and pulled out a scraper. That barely scratched the surface of the sh!tty cracked PVA top coat... Second phase involved using a 2 inch wood chisel as a scraper. Better, but still not the result that I was looking for. What it did do was reveal the decades of paint layers  :eek:

This called for drastic action... so out came the 4" grinder along with the last two remaining 150mm 80grit sanding discs that I had. Off came the guard  :ph34r: and the work began! (In hindsight a mistake as is evident by the smiley on my middle finger from contact with the disc through a set of working gloves.... Safety first kids :thumbup: )

Several hours later the wood was stripped bare and I stood back to admire my efforts. Broke out the orbital sander and started to smooth off the rough bits and take off the edges.

Paint had soaked into the knots as well as all the joints. I think I counted around 7 layers of paint as I was stripping and sanding. As worked progressed I quickly realised that this was not to be a restoration project. With that amount of paint that it had on it and what it was used for over the last few decades (garage storage) I decided that a "Distressed" look would be more suitable.

So the end result was a "Distressed" Bookshelf with a coat of Polyeurathene varnish that I finished too late last night to take any pictures.

I doubt that I will because it doesn't really warrant being on display in the public forum. It is simply an old piece of furniture that has been given a new lease on life in the bedroom of a teenager.