Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My daughter has a book collection of > 200 and her book case is full, so she wanted some extra space.  I built this one from laminated pine shelving with blind dado joints for the shelves. It is 900 wide x 2400 high. One coat of white Double Velvet so one can still see the grain through the paint.

One friend suggested that I advertise and sell them - do anyone have an idea what it could be sold for?  

post-50518-0-18762100-1494432120_thumb.jpg

My daughter has a book collection of > 200 and her book case is full, so she wanted some extra space.  I built this one from laminated pine shelving with blind dado joints for the shelves. It is 900 wide x 2400 high. One coat of white Double Velvet so one can still see the grain through the paint.

One friend suggested that I advertise and sell them - do anyone have an idea what it could be sold for?  

attachicon.gifBook Case.jpg

I Bought a 6 tier book case from FUR Furniture a few months back, cost R750 odd for a pine wood Book Case

GAME at the time was selling a 4 tier case out of chipwood for R1100

Balsa wood might be cool - won't it break easily though? Otherwise it may be too thick.

how about balsa laminated with veneer, or literally laminated veneers. could be stiff enough and strong enough without being as flimsy as balsa. Was initially thinking of those engineered laminates preferred on fancypants euro kitchen cupboard doors. those things are so beautifully thin, and hold a sharp edged chamfer in a way wood some times struggles with. But that would be price overkill.

Edited by Capricorn

attachicon.gifBook Case.jpg

Please attach that to the wall properly - seen what happens when kids climb a bookshelf and it topples on to them....  not good.

Please attach that to the wall properly - seen what happens when kids climb a bookshelf and it topples on to them....  not good.

That is the plan.  The photo shows it in the hall-way.  I am just leaving it there for the paint to harden properly before putting it in her room.

During our annual shutdown at work recently, there was some work done on our rail siding. Some rails replaced as well as some of the sleepers. A colleague of mine and I went and had a look at the stuff that was taken out and of the 12 sleepers that were replaced, we reckon we could re purpose these (the rest were in really bad shape) :

post-17843-0-25752800-1494491297_thumb.jpg

Mine are the three on the left. Length wise we looking at between 3,8m to 4,2m and they are 250x120 except for one which is 250x200.

The shorter one looks a bit dodge but I couldn't see that side as it was facing down. Hopefully the rot isn't too excessive and that bit will trim off. The others look ok but will only know once I start cutting.

Found a sawmill up the road that will cut them. R50 per cut @ 2m x 250mm wide.

Planning an outside table to seat 8 (2mx1,2m with two benches) Hopefully the wood inside is still good and usable... Sizes may change depending on the condition of the timber. otherwise it's going to be an epic bonfire! 

This is going to be a long term project as I still need to put up an awning to put the table under...

Edit: These things are HEAVY!!! 

Edited by Grebel