Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To say that is custom furniture that was built in that clip is not so accurate. 

Let the autosaw do something like this. :devil:

http://www.brandimpakt.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Awesome-Woodworkers-Workbench.jpg

http://cdn.goodshomedesign.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Awesome-Rustic-Furniture-6.jpg

5d77680c6f9cb4b75bcfabdbf4811ddc--lol-pi

Edited by IH8MUD

Kinda interesting, but CNC machines have been doing this for ages now, so it's about as useful as tits on a nun.

And why would you take the fun of operating power tools out of the equation?

I think this technology is aimed at the moment for non-woodworkers. People who would like odd shaped tables or chairs but who are intimidated by the mathematics and power tools involved.

I really like the automation steps this allows. Although not as useful now, the final destination would be to design custom furniture, email the CAD file to a workshop and receive an IKEA type box back for assembly.

I think this technology is aimed at the moment for non-woodworkers. People who would like odd shaped tables or chairs but who are intimidated by the mathematics and power tools involved.

I really like the automation steps this allows. Although not as useful now, the final destination would be to design custom furniture, email the CAD file to a workshop and receive an IKEA type box back for assembly.

Problem is woodworking (or making a table) on it's own is already beyond the realm of the average Joe, partly due to all the machinery required to build something, and the accompanying costs involved. Just to dimension lumber, requires 3 different machines.

To add robotics to the mix will be serious moola. 

For IKEA flat pack stuff, a CNC router is sufficient, however I can't see doing anything more complex without 5 or 6 axis robotic arms. 

I get it ... a way to make Ikea furniture, but just with a bigger price tag :P

There is also a big difference between carpentry and cabinet makers and joiners :P :P

ya. I don't think ikea falls into the heirloom category. That's actually what makes woodworking sustainable: items made well enough to want to look after it for generations. Ikea is sucking up a lot of wood inventory around the world.

one bonus about making your own presents...you get to have fun making them...then you dont have to blow tons of cash of presents.

one year i made 100 planters and went around to old age homes to hand them out to people who didnt have visitors. 

what an absolutely terrible task...will never do it again...i left there with a massive dent in my heart...i thought it would make me feel good about doing something nice for the people ...instead i felt so *** meeting these old people who have nothing left and nobody to visit them...they were so happy someone had bought a gift...i think i will make them again this year...but get some else to hand them out. 

Respect for you!

But giving them your time and attention was the bigger gift. Do it again, if you can.

Urgh been deliberating actually posting this for a while but figured it might be worth a laugh or two for some of you.

I made a youtube video of a pen I turned for a friend. It was a first video attempt so not the greatest quality but its been quite fun learning how to edit properly and I will probably do some more soon.

So if you are bored at some stage its over here:

Urgh been deliberating actually posting this for a while but figured it might be worth a laugh or two for some of you.

I made a youtube video of a pen I turned for a friend. It was a first video attempt so not the greatest quality but its been quite fun learning how to edit properly and I will probably do some more soon.

nice work

Zebrano is a nice timber when finished, we have done a good couple of joinery and interior projects with it before.

nice work

Zebrano is a nice timber when finished, we have done a good couple of joinery and interior projects with it before.

It finishes up really nicely and is super interesting to look at. Its a very flaky wood to turn though, worth it in the end.

enjoyed watching the video, thanks for making

It finishes up really nicely and is super interesting to look at. Its a very flaky wood to turn though, worth it in the end.

Can I ask why you do not butt the two timber sections together once you have book matched them, and then turn the shape on the late?

So doing you will get a nicely aligned grain?

Asking from a design perspective, as I have personally not turned wood on a lathe yet.

Can I ask why you do not butt the two timber sections together once you have book matched them, and then turn the shape on the late?

So doing you will get a nicely aligned grain?

Asking from a design perspective, as I have personally not turned wood on a lathe yet.

There's a bushing between the two pieces that is used as a guide to the final thickness of the wood. 

There's a bushing between the two pieces that is used as a guide to the final thickness of the wood. 

ah ok then!

enjoyed watching the video, thanks for making

Thanks for watching. First time just yakking at a camera and I was awkward as heck!