Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

I recently inherited a set of tools probably from the '30s/40's - Stanley Bailey plane; 2 Henry Disston saws; Marples chisels; levels/squares/hand drills/scrapers etc. Most of that is relatively meaningless to me but I've consulted with Dr Google on a lot of it and none of it is hugely fancy but all pretty good stuff.

Is there someone you could recommend in the Southern Suburbs of Cape Town I could take it to for some more info on it and possibly help with restoring the tools to full working condition (all in very good condition but edges are a bit dull mainly)?

...sadly I don't have the time, patience or skill to restore them myself 

Edited by Edge_Design

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Stefmeister, be a bit more specific?

In short, if it's a Ryobi question, STFA from it as you'll spend your life being frustrated.

I'm weighing up Minimax s400p vs Laguna 18bx. The minimax is obviously the better machine, but it's about a domino machine more expensive, which begs the question is the other one good enough or noticeably less gooder? 

I'm weighing up Minimax s400p vs Laguna 18bx. The minimax is obviously the better machine, but it's about a domino machine more expensive, which begs the question is the other one good enough or noticeably less gooder? 

That is an absolutely fantastic conundrum to have!

Sorry can't help here but if it was my money, the less expensive machine would do, but that's me

My attempt at woodwork. Funny enough I cannot make a shelf or cabinet to save my life.

Who need more shelves and cabinets when you can have a cool guitar!? Beautiful!  :thumbup:

Edited by DJR

Who need more shelves and cabinets when you can have a cool guitar!? Beautiful!  :thumbup:

I built a guitar in my lost youth, couldn't play it though.

However, the one you mention is in pretty good nick - not too much rust, apart from the blade and cap iron, but that should not be too difficult to clean up.  The Japanning (the black "paint" on the body) also seems to be in a good condition.  And you can always make a nice hardwood knob and tote if you want to.  So it will work well once cleaned and sharpened correctly (even with the plastic handles ^_^ ).

Thanks for the info, and the pics of the nice job you did on your restoration. Makes the rest of us look like amateurs again.....

If I am going to spend money and time buying and restoring a plane I would then like to get the older versions of the plane if I can pick it up for about R150 more than the newer versions.

I have never really looked around on Bidorbuy for tools until you posted the link.  After 2 hours I was still browsing and adding stuff to my watchlist.  Luckily I came to my senses and decided not to bid on everything.

It's a made in England version, so probably 1970s onwards i.t.o age, so definitely no collectors value there - no matter what some of these local sellers might tell you. Old doesn't mean collectible.

If you're just buying it to work with then the max I'd pay for it is R400-500. You can then fit a new Veritas iron/blade rather and have a very decent work horse, although the standard blade will also do just fine. Just check for too much pitting due to rust on the blade that could affect the sharpened edge. 

I've an old 1913 USA type 4 No.7, but hardly ever use it. The No.6 is more versatile.

I am not worried about the plane being a collectible, the idea is that it must be a working tool.  That said, I don't want to pay R100 less for a tool that does not have the same value as one that you pay a little more and with some TLC you have a more much valuable tool. 

That Veritas plane irons does look nice but it comes with a hefty price tag.  Maybe in the future that will be a nice addition to a old Stanley plane.

The Laguna 18bx is a really good bandsaw. The reviews I have seen of it rate it very highly and it has some really great features. Toolcraft just got stock of them last week.

I am not worried about the plane being a collectible, the idea is that it must be a working tool.  That said, I don't want to pay R100 less for a tool that does not have the same value as one that you pay a little more and with some TLC you have a more much valuable tool. 

That Veritas plane irons does look nice but it comes with a hefty price tag.  Maybe in the future that will be a nice addition to a old Stanley plane.

http://www.hansbrunnertools.com/Stanley%20by%20numbers/Tips.htm

Thanks for the info, and the pics of the nice job you did on your restoration. Makes the rest of us look like amateurs again.....

If I am going to spend money and time buying and restoring a plane I would then like to get the older versions of the plane if I can pick it up for about R150 more than the newer versions.

I have never really looked around on Bidorbuy for tools until you posted the link.  After 2 hours I was still browsing and adding stuff to my watchlist.  Luckily I came to my senses and decided not to bid on everything.

Restoring old planes and collecting them is an extremely slippery slope!

I can tell you that from personal experience(I have about 40 waiting in my restore pile) Im sure mr Carrera will tell you the same thing...

There is something special about having a bunch of well tuned and loving restored planes around though.

Restoring old planes and collecting them is an extremely slippery slope!

I can tell you that from personal experience(I have about 40 waiting in my restore pile) Im sure mr Carrera will tell you the same thing...

There is something special about having a bunch of well tuned and loving restored planes around though.

Jip, I see there are a good number of planes on BoB today...   :drool:

Jip, I see there are a good number of planes on BoB today...   :drool:

Please do not go and bid on the plane that I want to bid on...….

Please do not go and bid on the plane that I want to bid on...….

Did you see any nice tablesaws?

Did you see any nice tablesaws?

SA is a terrible place for finding second hand tablesaws.

I literally couldnt find anything within a few hundred km of me and then it was an old Delta unisaw that they wanted R20k for.