Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

Thanks. Been watching a few videos on YouTube. I have a metal lathe at home so I will have a go at making a mandrel and some bushings when I get a chance. That Mr Woodturner site looks like it could do damage to your credit card... Will start with a slimline kit and see how it goes [emoji1303]

Metal lathes are awesome, I would love one of those.

I did fitting and turning in school so I have spent a fair amount of time using them.

You could also quite easily turn your own bushings but they are very cheap so its probably just easier to buy them.

Mr woodturner has hurt my credit card on numerous occasions!!

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. Been watching a few videos on YouTube. I have a metal lathe at home so I will have a go at making a mandrel and some bushings when I get a chance. That Mr Woodturner site looks like it could do damage to your credit card... Will start with a slimline kit and see how it goes [emoji1303]

Hi Grebel,

Jip, Mr Woodturner has damaged my credit card on numerous occasions!

You can also look at:

https://proturningz.co.za/

They are new on the scene so I have not used them yet.  But they are a bit cheaper than Mr Woodturner on some items I checked.

So I just ordered two kits (a slimline and a comfort), some bushings and a couple of blanks (african blackwood, wild Olive and an amethyst acrylester). Need to make up a mandrel and see how this all turns out (pun intended).

Hey all, I am putting this here before throwing it on gumtree, marketplace, etc.

https://www.takealot.com/ryobi-work-bench-with-clamps-black/PLID38160068

I was thinking around R150, pretty sturdy for what it is.

I also have some wood to dispose of to a good home. 22mm full plyboard sheet with lots of sizeable offcuts. Lots of pallet planks ready for projects that just never transpired.

I will literally be giving these away to a good home with the workbench.

Based in Pretoria, will need to be collected.

I see a local made a 100k YouTube subscribers

Happy for him

he makes interesting content ... rather liked his spring loaded french cleat concept ... would like to see the same, but with a cam lock to the lower cleat ... could be far neater

I see a local made a 100k YouTube subscribers

Happy for him

Been watching his channel for a while now. He has some really good ideas.

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody here that have a little knowledge about Stanley planes?  I want to buy a no 7 jointer plane, but I have no idea if the plane I am interested is a good quality one or if it is one of the later Stanley planes that is of a lessor quality.  The plane I am looking at is this one here on gumtree: https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-hand-tools/durbanville/stanley-bailey-no-7-jointer-plane/1006760764730912533330409

Any help would be appreciated.  I do not mind spending some time restoring the plane so that is not an issue for me.

Anybody here that have a little knowledge about Stanley planes?  I want to buy a no 7 jointer plane, but I have no idea if the plane I am interested is a good quality one or if it is one of the later Stanley planes that is of a lessor quality.  The plane I am looking at is this one here on gumtree: https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-hand-tools/durbanville/stanley-bailey-no-7-jointer-plane/1006760764730912533330409

Any help would be appreciated.  I do not mind spending some time restoring the plane so that is not an issue for me.

Hi CJ Van,

RocketBoy is the expert, but I have also restored a few planes.

This specific one is one of the later ones, you can see that from the "ribs" on the body of the plane and that C12 007 number.  This one also have a plastic tote (rear handle) and plastic knob.   

The older ones (which are normally worth more), does not have the "ribs", nor that funny C12 007 number and definitely have proper hardwood handles (I think mostly Beech for the England ones). 

Look at this No 8 that sold on BoB yesterday:

https://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/458954856/Stanley_No_8_jointer_plane.html

This is a MUCH older one - the key way to know that is the "keyhole" on the lever cap.  That was the original designs but with impact on the blade, it sometimes came loose.  So later designs include a "kidney" shape.  And it have the nice hardwood handles (and no "ribs"). 

Also look at this No 7 on BoB:

https://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/457607267/Beautiful_Antique_Bailey_Stanley_No_7_Jointer_Plane_1892_1899_US_Pat_Apr_19_10.html#

Also the older version.

However, the one you mention is in pretty good nick - not too much rust, apart from the blade and cap iron, but that should not be too difficult to clean up.  The Japanning (the black "paint" on the body) also seems to be in a good condition.  And you can always make a nice hardwood knob and tote if you want to.  So it will work well once cleaned and sharpened correctly (even with the plastic handles ^_^ ).

PS:  I have previously restored one almost exactly like this (also the ribs and plastic handle) but I added a Hardwood tote and knob and then sold it for R 1200 on Gumtree.  

My Nr 7 that I sold - before restoring:

post-50518-0-79908400-1582816964_thumb.jpg

After restoring:

post-50518-0-35774000-1582816999_thumb.jpg

post-50518-0-88472300-1582817031_thumb.jpg

Edited by carrera4s

And you can always make a nice hardwood knob and tote if you want to.  

I also recently finished a Nr 6, this one was badly rusted (almost NO japanning left) and the tote and knob was some filthy softwood, so I made some a new knob and tote from African Rosewood.  I used the Lee Valley template for the tote.

post-50518-0-15275200-1582817328_thumb.jpg

post-50518-0-30335900-1582817386_thumb.jpg

post-50518-0-43021700-1582817394_thumb.jpg

post-50518-0-88189800-1582817403_thumb.jpg

I just bought a 2.4m long fairly solid wooden workbench for R200 off a guy on facebook market. Looks full of oil but for R200 I don’t mind putting a bit of effort in to try and clean it

Finally I'll have a bit of a work space in my garage

It's a made in England version, so probably 1970s onwards i.t.o age, so definitely no collectors value there - no matter what some of these local sellers might tell you. Old doesn't mean collectible.

If you're just buying it to work with then the max I'd pay for it is R400-500. You can then fit a new Veritas iron/blade rather and have a very decent work horse, although the standard blade will also do just fine. Just check for too much pitting due to rust on the blade that could affect the sharpened edge. 

I've an old 1913 USA type 4 No.7, but hardly ever use it. The No.6 is more versatile.