Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

You can try these Facebook pages:

Houtwerkers Koop en Verkoop Blad

Garage Houtwerkers Groep

Houtwerkers Houtwerk

Woodworkers Forum South Africa

PS:  If there is a Stanley or North Bros Yankee Brace that you want to sell, I will definitely be interested.  It has this little PIN for the ratchet mechanism:

attachicon.gifYankee Brace.jpg

I buy them and refurb them regularly. Bid or buy and markets is a good source.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought this would be the right thread to ask in.

My folks are moving to a smaller place, so yesterday I was helping my dad sort out the garage at the old place.

He has a lot of tools, mostly woodworking stuff from his dad and his grand dad. Mostly hand saws, manual drills that kind of thing.

Any hand planes ???

And old chisels ?

Any hand planes ???

And old chisels ?

there could very well be a plane or 2. Next time I'm there I'll try and go through the stuff more carefully and get some pics.

One or 2 chisels, not a great variety, but I'll be keeping those.

There was also some very custom made tools as my grandfather used to do alot of copper art work. It looks like he made or customised hand tools to do the forming and shaping of the copper.

I buy them and refurb them regularly. Bid or buy and markets is a good source.

I often see the later models, but I have not seen the Yankee one in SA yet.  A few reviews says the Yankee ones' ratchet mechanism is just WAY better than the other ones.

PS:  I do have a 10" and 12" of Stanley 78s. 

Edited by carrera4s

k0t7X3Z.jpg

I'm still quite new to this business and this is one of my first jobs. Do you have any life hacks I'm thinking about buying table saw from the reviews here. I will need Table saw because I am already tired of constantly sawing boards.

Edited by Xianders

looks cool, I wanna make smth cool too. I found reviews on protoolsadviser about best dowel jig and ordered one on Amazon. Can't wait to receive my urchase, I think with its help I'll finish my wooden table faster.

Edited by greys

I recently had a very specific order for a pen from a colleague in London - he collects pens.  Rather than a round body pen, he wanted it hexagonal.  And he wanted the Cap and Body from two separate African Hardwoods.

The Cap is African Blackwood and the Body is African Rosewood.  The model is called Magnetic Vertex Supreme.  Gunmetal.  Rollerball.

The Cap "post" onto the body with a magnet - quite cool.

attachicon.gifHex 4 Small.jpg

attachicon.gifHex 1 Small.jpg

attachicon.gifHex 3 Small.jpg

Is he an engineer.........

Looking for recommendations. Bench top Drill Press, 13mm. Quality before price please.

Give Toolshop a call 011 792 4185 they have a great selection of tools there.

Also Toolcraft in CT, I have got quite a lot of kit from them, though their stock seems a bit low for drill presses

https://www.toolcraft.co.za/collections/drill-presses

That Bosch PBD40 looks/feels a bit dinky though

Edited by kosmonooit

sources on buying spiral bits in ZA? UC, UD, compression, and in 'standard' router sizes like 1/4" and 1/2" as opposed to CNC sizes?

sources on buying spiral bits in ZA? UC, UD, compression, and in 'standard' router sizes like 1/4" and 1/2" as opposed to CNC sizes?

Seen a few at Hardware centre. Toolcraft might also have stock. Otherwise try Amazon. They’re not cheap though.

Seen a few at Hardware centre. Toolcraft might also have stock. Otherwise try Amazon. They’re not cheap though.

i'll make a turn by HWC. but Toolcraft, nix or not much :(

Didn't want to go overseas,but it seems unavoidable. Infinity cutting tools is top of the list.

Does anyone know a supplier for pen kits in Durban? I am keen to try make one

Not sure in Durban, the only three suppliers I know are Toolcraft in CT, Strand hardware in PE and Mr Woodturner in JHB.

Mr Woodturner has a website you can order through and I have bought tons of pen kits from them.

Just make sure to order the correct size bushings with the kit you go for, you can do it without the bushings when you are more experienced but for your first few it would be a pain if you didnt have them.

Not sure in Durban, the only three suppliers I know are Toolcraft in CT, Strand hardware in PE and Mr Woodturner in JHB.

Mr Woodturner has a website you can order through and I have bought tons of pen kits from them.

Just make sure to order the correct size bushings with the kit you go for, you can do it without the bushings when you are more experienced but for your first few it would be a pain if you didnt have them.

Thanks. Been watching a few videos on YouTube. I have a metal lathe at home so I will have a go at making a mandrel and some bushings when I get a chance. That Mr Woodturner site looks like it could do damage to your credit card... Will start with a slimline kit and see how it goes [emoji1303]