Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

Take the steel work to a sandblaster, paint with Hammerite smooth. No primer needed.

That is the most ideal - but taking it apart is a bit more tricky !

Going to try do it all as one part, unless I can get hold of Mr Le Turbo

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing to do with woodwork, except that I managed to break my favourite hammer in the process, and skinned a knuckle. Well, most jobs worth doing involve a scraped knuckle, or not? Luckily, the little woodwork needed to repair the hammer, now allows me to sneak in and post this project here. B.t.w. it is an ammo bag, not a handbag. ;)     

post-17716-0-18186200-1578914340_thumb.jpg

post-17716-0-57919300-1578914354_thumb.jpg

post-17716-0-89089900-1578914364_thumb.jpg

post-17716-0-39802500-1578914379_thumb.jpg

post-17716-0-34449900-1578914391_thumb.jpg

Nothing to do with woodwork, except that I managed to break my favourite hammer in the process, and skinned a knuckle. Well, most jobs worth doing involve a scraped knuckle, or not? Luckily, the little woodwork needed to repair the hammer, now allows me to sneak in and post this project here. B.t.w. it is an ammo bag, not a handbag. ;)     

is that pink lipsticks in your handbag :P

nice work DJR!

I am slowly working on my first knife, a small peeler for the kitchen and she will be getting a set of (I think it is Iroko, sure smells like it) scales soon. They have been rough cut and I need to start making progress on the project ... taken way too long as I have been working without a vice and also buying basic tools as I go and need them (basics such as files for example).

What I have realised, Builders is a massive rip off ... always knew they were a little pricier due to their size and the "convenience" factor, but when I can buy a better file from Fawkes Brothers in P/Island for half the price of the builders rubbish the degree of ripping off becomes clear.

is that pink lipsticks in your handbag :P

nice work DJR!

I am slowly working on my first knife, a small peeler for the kitchen and she will be getting a set of (I think it is Iroko, sure smells like it) scales soon. They have been rough cut and I need to start making progress on the project ... taken way too long as I have been working without a vice and also buying basic tools as I go and need them (basics such as files for example).

What I have realised, Builders is a massive rip off ... always knew they were a little pricier due to their size and the "convenience" factor, but when I can buy a better file from Fawkes Brothers in P/Island for half the price of the builders rubbish the degree of ripping off becomes clear.

https://www.fowkes.co.za/

I have an old mini jointer that I'm looking to get rid of. 

It runs, probably needs blades or blades sharpening... 

I will post some pics a bit later but shoot me a PM if you interested... 

• 2 weeks later...

That is the most ideal - but taking it apart is a bit more tricky !

Going to try do it all as one part, unless I can get hold of Mr Le Turbo

anyone got contact details for Mr Le Turbo?

• 2 weeks later...

I thought this would be the right thread to ask in.

My folks are moving to a smaller place, so yesterday I was helping my dad sort out the garage at the old place.

He has a lot of tools, mostly woodworking stuff from his dad and his grand dad. Mostly hand saws, manual drills that kind of thing.

It would be shame to get rid of the stuff, I've taken a few things but I really dont have the space to keep tools that I'll most likely never use. I'd love to keep everything if I could.

Where could we advertise these tools ? I'm sure there are folks out there that would absolutely love to get their hands on them.

I thought this would be the right thread to ask in.

My folks are moving to a smaller place, so yesterday I was helping my dad sort out the garage at the old place.

He has a lot of tools, mostly woodworking stuff from his dad and his grand dad. Mostly hand saws, manual drills that kind of thing.

It would be shame to get rid of the stuff, I've taken a few things but I really dont have the space to keep tools that I'll most likely never use. I'd love to keep everything if I could.

Where could we advertise these tools ? I'm sure there are folks out there that would absolutely love to get their hands on them.

You can try these Facebook pages:

Houtwerkers Koop en Verkoop Blad

Garage Houtwerkers Groep

Houtwerkers Houtwerk

Woodworkers Forum South Africa

PS:  If there is a Stanley or North Bros Yankee Brace that you want to sell, I will definitely be interested.  It has this little PIN for the ratchet mechanism:

post-50518-0-80385000-1580711436_thumb.jpg

Edited by carrera4s

I recently had a very specific order for a pen from a colleague in London - he collects pens.  Rather than a round body pen, he wanted it hexagonal.  And he wanted the Cap and Body from two separate African Hardwoods.

The Cap is African Blackwood and the Body is African Rosewood.  The model is called Magnetic Vertex Supreme.  Gunmetal.  Rollerball.

The Cap "post" onto the body with a magnet - quite cool.

post-50518-0-73269700-1580713027_thumb.jpg

post-50518-0-86140800-1580713043_thumb.jpg

post-50518-0-02820800-1580713070_thumb.jpg

I recently had a very specific order for a pen from a colleague in London - he collects pens.  Rather than a round body pen, he wanted it hexagonal.  And he wanted the Cap and Body from two separate African Hardwoods.

The Cap is African Blackwood and the Body is African Rosewood.  The model is called Magnetic Vertex Supreme.  Gunmetal.  Rollerball.

The Cap "post" onto the body with a magnet - quite cool.

attachicon.gifHex 4 Small.jpg

attachicon.gifHex 1 Small.jpg

attachicon.gifHex 3 Small.jpg

wow, as always your quality of work is amazing!

Must have been quite tricky getting the sides all equal. Did you size it down after the tubes were in and then turn the tapers?

I hope you used a skew!! :D

wow, as always your quality of work is amazing!

Must have been quite tricky getting the sides all equal. Did you size it down after the tubes were in and then turn the tapers?

I hope you used a skew!! :D

Tx Rocket-Boy!

No skew on this one!  

Firstly glued the tubes in as per normal.  Roughing gouge on the ends then small spindle gouge to get the ends to the correct shape & diameter.  Then I built a jig to clamp the barrels on the workbench and used a Nr 4 hand plane to shape the hex sides.  I used an electronic angle finder to turn the blank 60 degrees each time to get the correct angles.  

Sounds easier than it was!   :eek: .  Next time I will build a router sled to use on the lathe so I can use the lathe's indexing for the angles...

Edited by carrera4s