Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

I actually do have a Kreg Accu-Cut XL track setup (which I've only briefly used thus far), but I absolutely need a better quality circular saw. The repetition of the table saw is what's drawing me to it, but for the moment, practice with the track saw will have to do until more space and/or money is found!

Do they have "Men's Sheds" in your area, or some other form of community membership workshop?

I'm a member at one in my area. They have an awesome workshop with all the woodwork tools I could ever need, including a nice new R100,000 Sawstop cabinet saw.

For about R1000/yr and a 5min drive, it keeps me from buying expensive tools I really don't need to own.

That said, I still want to get the jobsite saw for home :lol:

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Random question for you guys, I need to sand the ends of some blocks, have been using a disk sander up until now (one of those Ryobi combo's), but need to put something a little more robust in place, which is better to use, belt sander or disk sander?  

Do they have "Men's Sheds" in your area, or some other form of community membership workshop?

I'm a member at one in my area. They have an awesome workshop with all the woodwork tools I could ever need, including a nice new R100,000 Sawstop cabinet saw.

For about R1000/yr and a 5min drive, it keeps me from buying expensive tools I really don't need to own.

This would be wonderful.... 

Random question for you guys, I need to sand the ends of some blocks, have been using a disk sander up until now (one of those Ryobi combo's), but need to put something a little more robust in place, which is better to use, belt sander or disk sander?  

I think there is a greater chance for grain tearout when using a belt sander for this.

I think there is a greater chance for grain tearout when using a belt sander for this.

Someone on here mentioned that a belt sander is a slightly less aggressive electric planer.

I think that was pretty accurate.

It takes a whole lot of getting used to and can take a lot of material off.

For jobs with more finesse required I use a random orbit with 40 and 60 grit paper, removes material fast but has a lot more control.

I assume you're talking about a stationary disc/belt sander combo?

Disc sanders can burn your wood if it builds up too much heat and dust extraction isn't good - your pads with also clog up quicker.

If you can set up the table square (assuming again it need's to be square seeing as you need to sand blocks) to the belt side, then you can just use a combination of the two. The belt specifically along the grain direction, and then 'grind' it down on the end grain with the disc, remove burn marks with the belt side again.

A belt sander can very quickly destroy the square. 

Edit: I should have included, use the disc and the fence/miter gauge.

Edited by Plentipotential

I assume you're talking about a stationary disc/belt sander combo?

Disc sanders can burn your wood if it builds up too much heat and dust extraction isn't good - your pads with also clog up quicker.

If you can set up the table square (assuming again it need's to be square seeing as you need to sand blocks) to the belt side, then you can just use a combination of the two. The belt specifically along the grain direction, and then 'grind' it down on the end grain with the disc, remove burn marks with the belt side again.

Yes, stationary combo. Based on all of the replies, seem the disk is the right way to go. Thanks for all of the responses.

• 2 weeks later...

I was on a bit of a holiday, so I missed this post.

Unfortunately, to my best knowledge we don't have such services. I would definitely subscribe to it though!

Anyhow, the table saw itch is still itching, even though I have no clue where I'm gonna put it...

I was on a bit of a holiday, so I missed this post.

Unfortunately, to my best knowledge we don't have such services. I would definitely subscribe to it though!

Anyhow, the table saw itch is still itching, even though I have no clue where I'm gonna put it...

As far as I know the closest thing we have is Made in workshop

Some very impressive tools, but the pricing structure is a bit apprehensive.

Never Have I used them, but its handy to know about if you like me with not much workspace, and not much tools besides a sander, a drill and a jigsaw,

As far as I know the closest thing we have is Made in workshop

That looks really cool.

If you know exactly what you need to do and get yourself ready then it could be worth it.

Things like wide beltsanders for live edge slabs etc would be awesome, if you had to pay someone to do that for you it would end up costing more Im sure.

That looks really cool.

If you know exactly what you need to do and get yourself ready then it could be worth it.

Things like wide beltsanders for live edge slabs etc would be awesome, if you had to pay someone to do that for you it would end up costing more Im sure.

The 30 day bundle for R 5,210 is bloody decent. That's less than you'd pay for the rent alone to have enough space for a small selection of tools.