Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm I wonder if I could come up with a solution like that I could make myself. Its a little expensive but I like the idea.

Im sure if I picked Carrera's brain that he would have all kinds of great ideas :)

The Leroy Merlin version seems a bit simpler and cheaper.  Maybe not quite as space efficient as the Larson one, but certainly easier to replicate.  Seems like rails that the basket / tray run on - it will need wheels above and below the rail to prevent tipping.

https://leroymerlin.co.za/2bskt-crn-sld-r-agl-btm-58x106x76-8-81411482

post-50518-0-65709700-1612434173_thumb.jpg

The Leroy Merlin version seems a bit simpler and cheaper.  Maybe not quite as space efficient as the Larson one, but certainly easier to replicate.  Seems like rails that the basket / tray run on - it will need wheels above and below the rail to prevent tipping.

https://leroymerlin.co.za/2bskt-crn-sld-r-agl-btm-58x106x76-8-81411482

attachicon.gifLeroy Merlin Pull-out.jpg

Thanks meneer :)

I think I need to look at one and see how complicated the design is. Im still a while off from building the kitchen so its either a big pot drawer or something like this.

They are all similar with some differences.

1. liquid paraffin is the same as the basic mineral oil available in supermarkets everywhere but SA. It works perfectly for cutting boards.

2. The expensive stuff like Howards butcher block oil or butcher block conditioner are the same mineral oil mixed with drying waxes, so kinda like 2-in-1 shampoo.

3. Food grade mineral oil I havent seen available locally, I believe though that its exactly the same as liquid paraffin which is locally sold as a laxative.

Normally the recommendation is to soak in mineral oil and wipe off the excess then to finish and buff with a mixture of 50/50 mineral oil and bees wax. The waxing step is optional and gives a slightly matt finish on the boards.

I have used all combinations of liquid paraffin, Howards butcher block oil and Howards butcher block conditioner. They pretty much give the same end result so using liquid paraffin is the cheapest and most accessible option.

When I finished my pour over stand couldn't find my butchers block mineral oil, so I used baby oil. It's paraffin anyway.

2. The expensive stuff like Howards butcher block oil or butcher block conditioner are the same mineral oil mixed with drying waxes, so kinda like 2-in-1 shampoo.

3. Food grade mineral oil I havent seen available locally, I believe though that its exactly the same as liquid paraffin which is locally sold as a laxative.

Have found and am trialing this 

https://www.takealot.com/planki-oil-250ml-food-safe-mineral-oil/PLID71465099

It's actually a little bit more viscous than the Howards is my initial comment, and much cheaper. Haven't run price comparisons against pharmaceutical liquid paraffin though.

When I finished my pour over stand couldn't find my butchers block mineral oil, so I used baby oil. It's paraffin anyway.

Yup baby oil is pretty much mineral oil with some fragrances added. I used it once to make a yorskhire grit style abrasive paste, worked well but the scent was a bit weird!

I loved watching this.

I picked up an old Stanley 6 in a platteland pawn shop that I need to restore soon. Watching this just affirmed to me to not buy cheap planes. Or cheap tools when I don't have to.

You just entered the rabbit hole. Welcome. It's all downhill from here. If you do in future pick up a plane that says Made In USA, guard it with your life. Not many of those about in SA unfortunately.

Edited by Moridin

I loved watching this.

I picked up an old Stanley 6 in a platteland pawn shop that I need to restore soon. Watching this just affirmed to me to not buy cheap planes. Or cheap tools when I don't have to.

That is a properly slippery slope!

I have a fair collection of restored Stanleys now, Carrera4s does too.

Once you have one good one restored then you find yourself looking for models you dont have and the collection starts to grow...

That is a properly slippery slope!

I have a fair collection of restored Stanleys now, Carrera4s does too.

Once you have one good one restored then you find yourself looking for models you dont have and the collection starts to grow...

I'm looking for a No.7, but they seem hard to come by.

Here is my final product.

I gave the table 3 lairs of primer but the wood kept sucking it up. I didn't know what to do so I let someone professional spray it for me but he needed to sand the primer down before he could begin.

The table has a glossy finish.

It ended up costing me R3200 for everything. I went way over budget tho.

post-160029-0-12813800-1612798352_thumb.jpg

post-160029-0-49649500-1612798368_thumb.jpg

Here is my final product.

I gave the table 3 lairs of primer but the wood kept sucking it up. I didn't know what to do so I let someone professional spray it for me but he needed to sand the primer down before he could begin.

The table has a glossy finish.

It ended up costing me R3200 for everything. I went way over budget tho.

is it really a successful project if it does not go over budget.......