Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

okay, okay, there's a bit more of a back story to it that takes a bit of the lustre out of the story. 

My old man bought it in a fit of the must haves, and after using it a few times decided it was too unwieldy for him, and with his Shopsmith, he didn't *really* need such a large saw. So he bought a smaller lighter Bosch pro unit, and asked me if I wanted the Mak. 

Brought it back home in my carry-on luggage. :P

sorry for seeing past the 'embellishment' :P but lekker dude. that thing is mint!

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got given, yes... GIVEN... one of these. Makita 5903rk

235mm saw with multiple blades. Rip, crosscut, multi and metal.

Now I can get rid of my pesky table saw. Grrrr. Hate that thing.

attachicon.gifIMG_5585.JPG

I've got one of them - its done a fair distance!   I see though the 'plunge saw' and matching track are an option,perhaps an upgrade, but the cut off is easy to use for just that, just dont expect a perfect cut.

I might also mention I have just picked up this big boy recip saw from Postnet - off Gumtree for R3k

http://www.makita.co.za/css/images/JR3070CT-Slider.jpg

One can get the battery powered version for about that price, but this guy has lots of power and duty cycle

Edited by kosmonooit

Came across this brilliant idea for a hammer:

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/J84AAOSwfVpYwjxE/s-l500.jpg

STILETTO 15OZ

Cast Titanium - list on eBay for about $180. Apparently amazing to use, real easy on the elbow.

Anyone interested into a group buy to bring down shipping costs? I could do it via my myus.com account, and on a cost basis, and postnet to postnet once here.

Came across this brilliant idea for a hammer:

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/J84AAOSwfVpYwjxE/s-l500.jpg

STILETTO 15OZ

Cast Titanium - list on eBay for about $180. Apparently amazing to use, real easy on the elbow.

Anyone interested into a group buy to bring down shipping costs? I could do it via my myus.com account, and on a cost basis, and postnet to postnet once here.

If that's a legit one, then i'm definitely in. Been eyeballing one for a long time.

If that's a legit one, then i'm definitely in. Been eyeballing one for a long time.

yea, seems so, US sellers and a branded item.

I'll work out a provisional , will put through my business, so there will be shipping & VAT but myus.com shipping costs / options are quite reasonable.

Because I had sell all my bass fishing stuff just to buy 1 bicycle...I only need a small space above the window for what is left of the rods [emoji12]

30686f22659d039616cfa63c70bcb8e2.jpg

Some of the bicycles now take up the rest of my office...

9616b85a28d5dd4e6b04c2affd408ea7.jpg

Busy designing a unit to support the bicycle wheels with a lock on the pedal and crank arm...so you just hook the pedal into the lock and the wheels are supported...no need for chains ...straps and wire.

.........the guy wanted to organize 80 fishing rods which were just standing against the wall in his garage

And I though I was bad with about a dozen or therabouts! For his sake I hope he never develops a cycling habit. :D  ;)

Hey guys, not sure if anyone can offer any advice?

My father in law has recently retired and was given a wood lathe that he wants to start using. 

The lathe etc is in good nick and works fine but he needs to get a set of turning chisels.

Any advice on what would be a good point to start? i.e complete starter chisel set or maybe individual ones of a higher quality etc.

Im pretty sure he doesnt know if he will more into turning bowls or other items so that doesnt provide a lot of guidance.

If there is somewhere anyone can recommend to get them from - preferrably online because we are based in East London!

My father in law has recently retired and was given a wood lathe that he wants to start using. 

The lathe etc is in good nick and works fine but he needs to get a set of turning chisels.

Any advice on what would be a good point to start? i.e complete starter chisel set or maybe individual ones of a higher quality etc.

Im pretty sure he doesnt know if he will more into turning bowls or other items so that doesnt provide a lot of guidance.

If there is somewhere anyone can recommend to get them from - preferrably online because we are based in East London!

R-B you should find some useful contact info here:

http://www.homehandyman.co.za/woodworkers-corner

Firstly get this book: Woodturning, A Foundation Course by Keith Rowley. It is very good at teaching the basics. The book has a DVD as well to demonstrate the basics.

Then have a look at mrwoodturner.co.za for the Hamlet chisels, or at toolcraft.co.za and look at the Narex chisels.

Robert Sorby chisels are also very good, but a bit more expensive. You can find them at strandhardware.co.za and hardwarecentre.co.za in Randburg.

A set works out cheaper per chisel than loose chisels & gouges etc. But it will set you back R 3500 to R 4000.

Unfortunately the very cheap Chinese sets are shaped all wrong with incorrect bevel angles etc. It is very difficult to learn with incorrect tools, so stay away. Hardware Centre sells a 'cheap' Chinese set, but at least those are shaped correctly. I think they are around R 2800 for a set, but maybe 8 chisels rather than 5 or 6 in the other sets.

Or, if you have friends visiting from the UK, you can get a set of Robert Sorby for around R 2200.

Edited by carrera4s

my advice would be to join the wood tuners guild/ association in his area...the fellas have a wealth of information and offer really good first hand experience...good chance he could get a chiesel or 2 from one of them.

there is one in east london.

he will also need a good chain saw to keep in his car ;)