Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

another great thread on this forum

I just finished my first year of woodworking's course and I love it! I missed quite a lot of classes (that's what happens when you spend 3 weeks in SA and get knee surgery afterwards)

This is my best work so far: a shoe kabinet! The doors will be painted white 

The lamps are a little project I made with my 12-year old nephew. 

post-58866-0-91291500-1497609743_thumb.jpg

post-58866-0-02027100-1497609751_thumb.jpg

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Because I had sell all my bass fishing stuff just to buy 1 bicycle...I only need a small space above the window for what is left of the rods [emoji12]30686f22659d039616cfa63c70bcb8e2.jpg

Some of the bicycles now take up the rest of my office...9616b85a28d5dd4e6b04c2affd408ea7.jpg

Busy designing a unit to support the bicycle wheels with a lock on the pedal and crank arm...so you just hook the pedal into the lock and the wheels are supported...no need for chains ...straps and wire.

post-86802-0-82438200-1497617773_thumb.jpg

yea, seems so, US sellers and a branded item.

I'll work out a provisional , will put through my business, so there will be shipping & VAT but myus.com shipping costs / options are quite reasonable.

still going for this? I'm still onboard if you are. hopefully there are others?

yea - just missed a consolidated shipment of IT goodies though. Let me get this one out the way then I will do the costing, there's a few other things on my shopping list.

I'm wanting to make a fold out sleeper couch that is big enough for two people. Has anyone made something like this and have ideas to share. I saw this picture which looks really cool. Would need to sources some decent wood for the frame. The top half folds over to form a nice big bed

post-1946-0-87542300-1497864719_thumb.png

Edited by mon-goose

So the other day I buy some prime American Cherry at a company that sells rare woods and pay about R34k per cube (rough) and that was einas. 10 x 1.8m planks R3k.

Then last week I go to a warehouse that sell builders material and looked at some Meranti - need some to repair a window frame.

Nearly had a stroke on the spot.

Meranti off the shelf - yes it was PAR but that softish stuff not the hard red one.

When I converted the price it worked out to R39 000 per cube.

Am I missing something - am I getting old or am I just plain nuts?

Edited by porqui

............Am I missing something - am I getting old or am I just plain nuts?

No, salted nuts! :ph34r:

So the other day I buy some prime American Cherry at a company that sells rare woods and pay about R34k per cube (rough) and that was einas. 10 x 1.8m planks R3k.

Then last week I go to a warehouse that sell builders material and looked at some Meranti - need some to repair a window frame.

Nearly had a stroke on the spot.

Meranti off the shelf - yes it was PAR but that softish stuff not the hard red one.

When I converted the price it worked out to R39 000 per cube.

Am I missing something - am I getting old or am I just plain nuts?

Somebody is smoking some good stuff, I just had a look at our prices, 38 x 152 Meranti (rough) is around R11 600 per cube.  I wish we could get R39 000 per cube!

Somebody is smoking some good stuff, I just had a look at our prices, 38 x 152 Meranti (rough) is around R11 600 per cube.  I wish we could get R39 000 per cube!

2.4m x 44mm x 69mm R358

another great thread on this forum

I just finished my first year of woodworking's course and I love it! I missed quite a lot of classes (that's what happens when you spend 3 weeks in SA and get knee surgery afterwards)

This is my best work so far: a shoe kabinet! The doors will be painted white 

The lamps are a little project I made with my 12-year old nephew.

Nice. What stock did you use. Is that birch or pine ply. What joinery method did you use?

Firstly get this book: Woodturning, A Foundation Course by Keith Rowley. It is very good at teaching the basics. The book has a DVD as well to demonstrate the basics.

Then have a look at mrwoodturner.co.za for the Hamlet chisels, or at toolcraft.co.za and look at the Narex chisels.

Robert Sorby chisels are also very good, but a bit more expensive. You can find them at strandhardware.co.za and hardwarecentre.co.za in Randburg.

A set works out cheaper per chisel than loose chisels & gouges etc. But it will set you back R 3500 to R 4000.

Unfortunately the very cheap Chinese sets are shaped all wrong with incorrect bevel angles etc. It is very difficult to learn with incorrect tools, so stay away. Hardware Centre sells a 'cheap' Chinese set, but at least those are shaped correctly. I think they are around R 2800 for a set, but maybe 8 chisels rather than 5 or 6 in the other sets.

Or, if you have friends visiting from the UK, you can get a set of Robert Sorby for around R 2200.

Awesome, thanks for the info. Busy looking at what is available, seems its a slippery slope once you get into it but looks like a ton of fun!

my advice would be to join the wood tuners guild/ association in his area...the fellas have a wealth of information and offer really good first hand experience...good chance he could get a chiesel or 2 from one of them.

there is one in east london.

he will also need a good chain saw to keep in his car ;)

Good advice on the chainsaw! I had to get a really big genny on to the back of the bakkie yesterday to run my electric chainsaw on some left over wood from a tree the municipality cut down. As luck would have it the genny wouldnt start on the electric start so I pulled for a solid 10 mins before I got it going!! one of my shoulders is barely functional today but it was fathers day and some nice wood was handed over after that.

Nice. What stock did you use. Is that birch or pine ply. What joinery method did you use?

Pine ply and joined with biscuits

Do you guys do MDF at all? I might be looking at getting a bunch of 6mm MDF (as used for laser cutting stuff) soon-ish.