Slowbee

From small fly rod stands....

872163e633431cd734f61051e175de17.jpg

With a little reel storage

d6727b8504a3a49f5eeefcf54fcb73db.jpg

To double layer stands 6552a4c067fb54464a25d77430efaf60.jpg

We even need to cut holes in the centre for those extra just in case rods

1cb194154dfc079e193ade482678749f.jpg

DIY kit format to make postage easier and reduce volume.

bbbe83ce9d8074dc118d74695fa3c558.jpg

781508ad9e815c999f4e75fdb1bc4f95.jpg

Space restriction...above the window and they are out the way ...what's left of my fishing tackle...now that the other 3 walls have bicycles [emoji3]

5dd0bc99d022823448340e3dd3ea28bf.jpg

Simply wrap and they ready to...

b9a0a642f447d030d26c3513e4f2da99.jpg

Now I just need to figure out how to setup a website...arrange fumigation certificates...so that I can sell them worldwide...get a little capital ( maybe sell my bicycles) to invest in a cnc router...a laser cutter for custom logos and new templates and to brand the product.

Man it's frustrating having such active mind...and no trust fund to experiment

Edited by isetech

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From small fly rod stands....

872163e633431cd734f61051e175de17.jpg

With a little reel storage

d6727b8504a3a49f5eeefcf54fcb73db.jpg

To double layer stands 6552a4c067fb54464a25d77430efaf60.jpg

We even need to cut holes in the centre for those extra just in case rods

1cb194154dfc079e193ade482678749f.jpg

DIY kit format to make postage easier and reduce volume.

bbbe83ce9d8074dc118d74695fa3c558.jpg

781508ad9e815c999f4e75fdb1bc4f95.jpg

Space restriction...above the window and they are out the way ...what's left of my fishing tackle...now that the other 3 walls have bicycles [emoji3]

5dd0bc99d022823448340e3dd3ea28bf.jpg

Simply wrap and they ready to...

b9a0a642f447d030d26c3513e4f2da99.jpg

Now I just need to figure out how to setup a website...arrange fumigation certificates...so that I can sell them worldwide...get a little capital ( maybe sell my bicycles) to invest in a cnc router...a laser cutter for custom logos and new templates and to brand the product.

CNC routers are awesome but crazy expensive. Really like those racks, Im sure you can get something setup fairly easily on the website side. Look at Zencart maybe and see if it would suit what you want.

Payment gateways are normally the tricky part but you could go paypal for the international stuff and EFT for the local.

Fumigation certs are easy - you go and find a place that does CCA treatment of gum poles (or the like) and ask them to do a Bromide fume with certs. If your batches are big enough, it isn't expensive. Just check, some countries allow wood in if it has been painted (ie Gripseal or Woodoc Varnish)

Regarding the laser cutter - I've spent ~R50K over the past three years having my logo laser engraved in my products. It's worth it finding a guy that does it for a living and paying him to do that. A decent enough laser to do logos is R120K+. My guy's laser broke in November, he spent R84K to fix it. Due to a bad part he now has to fork out another R65K to fix the same machine. In my opinion it's not worth it to have your own machine, UNLESS you have an operator for it and generate a ton of work from it.

any suggestions on where to locally buy a machinist/engineer's precision square, sizes 100mm, 150mm, 300mm BS 939 grade B, or DIN 875?

Toolcraft offers Groz in 100mm only, and Nobex adjustable squares in various, longer lengths. I'm a bit skeptical of the accuracy of anything adjustable tbh, hence the quest for a precision engineers square.

Fumigation certs are easy - you go and find a place that does CCA treatment of gum poles (or the like) and ask them to do a Bromide fume with certs. If your batches are big enough, it isn't expensive. Just check, some countries allow wood in if it has been painted (ie Gripseal or Woodoc Varnish)

Regarding the laser cutter - I've spent ~R50K over the past three years having my logo laser engraved in my products. It's worth it finding a guy that does it for a living and paying him to do that. A decent enough laser to do logos is R120K+. My guy's laser broke in November, he spent R84K to fix it. Due to a bad part he now has to fork out another R65K to fix the same machine. In my opinion it's not worth it to have your own machine, UNLESS you have an operator for it and generate a ton of work from it.

I agree big machines are expensive!

If you can fit part into one of smaller A4 size machines, they are relatively cheap and inexpensive to run (no exotic gasses) and can do smaller logo's just fine.

That said it would still require some time to study using the stuff etc

any suggestions on where to locally buy a machinist/engineer's precision square, sizes 100mm, 150mm, 300mm BS 939 grade B, or DIN 875?

Toolcraft offers Groz in 100mm only, and Nobex adjustable squares in various, longer lengths. I'm a bit skeptical of the accuracy of anything adjustable tbh, hence the quest for a precision engineers square.

https://www.tools4wood.co.za/product-category/hand-tools/measuring/squares/

Woodoc 50 Marine matt

Damn, I was wondering if I was using the right thing. Initially I was using Rystix but didnt like the durability of it. I use nova marine on all wood. So I decided to give that a try on the decking. 6 Years now and I still do.

Thanks for the suggestion. Was looking offerings with more immediate availability. I find it surprising locally manufacturered stuff is not easily found. Any suggestions in that regard?

Our machine shop uses TESA measuring equipment. Their local agent is Micron but I am not sure whether they keep stock of squares. They are cheaper than Mitutoyo.

Do you need that accuracy for woodworking?

still going for this? I'm still onboard if you are. hopefully there are others?

Came across this brilliant idea for a hammer:

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/J84AAOSwfVpYwjxE/s-l500.jpg

STILETTO 15OZ

Cast Titanium - list on eBay for about $180. Apparently amazing to use, real easy on the elbow.

Anyone interested into a group buy to bring down shipping costs? I could do it via my myus.com account, and on a cost basis, and postnet to postnet once here.

Doing the costing now -I am preparing a shipment with myus.com

Woodoc 50 Marine matt

I just realized I used that on my patio table. 6 months later It was looking like shite again. That oke is going to be oiling regularly.

Thanks for the suggestion. Was looking offerings with more immediate availability. I find it surprising locally manufacturered stuff is not easily found. Any suggestions in that regard?

In Jo'Burg. Power Tool Plus 011 917 eight 2 five five. Groz R 837.00 for a 300 mm Engineers Square stainless steel, good quality. The Groz work shop quality one is about 1/2 that price. Ask for Bianca, tell her Warren sent you.

Doing the costing now -I am preparing a shipment with myus.com

Have a look at Postbox Courier and Aramex Global Shopper as well.

You can get a free membership for the Aramex one via FNB and some discount on the shipping. There is / was also a PayPal promo to sign up for $1. It works best for smaller non consolidated shipments though.

In Jo'Burg. Power Tool Plus 011 917 eight 2 five five. Groz R 837.00 for a 300 mm Engineers Square stainless steel, good quality. The Groz work shop quality one is about 1/2 that price. Ask for Bianca, tell her Warren sent you.

sweet! thanks PP!