Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

Wyk Satan!

I have the saw. But my bonus for December is already booked. I already bought my wife her carbon MTB on the special that Cycles Direct had on their 2016 Giant Anthem X Advanced 0's. So that is 41K already blown.

ah the perfect gift......especially if the frame also fits you :P

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its been a busy last two weeks for me. Was given about 15 old planes in various pieces and all in a bad way. I dont really have space to unpack all of them yet so they are on hold for now.

My brother in law took me to a place that sells broken down pallets from Mercedes Benz plant in EL. They arent pallets in the conventional way most people think of them, these have car parts on them so are pretty hefty. Picked up 8x 100x100x2300mm beams and 3x 144x35x2300mm planks for R310!! 

Its all pine but its very solid compared to the stuff we get here. So its all being put together and Im making a study as heck workbench from it. I was originally going to build a split top roubo but this needs to be multipurpose so its going to be a single laminate top instead.

This is a quick drawing I made in sketchup to get proper dimensions for cutting the wood.

post-4822-0-69092800-1504980321_thumb.jpg

Its taken many days worth of planing everything down to remove dings and get it all square but now Im ready to cut the joints and put the base together. Using mortice and tenon on some and dado/rabbet on others.

I made a crosscut sled for my table saw today to make the who process easier so tomorrow will be joining day.

I would put in some stretchers there to prevent racking.

Stretchers along the back at the bottom?

i had considered them but the back section of the bench will be bolted to the wall and the top will probably weight in the region of 120kg so I though that might give it enough stability.

At least I hope it will!

One front, and one back. Just use some bed-bolts or similar contraption to mount it to the legs. This picture provides an idea of how to do it.

TwMZa.jpg

I drew a quick section of what the top of those legs will look like, I realised it wasnt very visible from the first pic. Not even sure what to call those joints, probably some sort of M&T but I think they should be quite strong.

post-4822-0-78590400-1505065883_thumb.jpg

my latest 2, and I'm getting better at working around my setup's restrictions. I don't have a workbench, I don't own a table saw and there's hardly any space to work on at the moment. Would have LOVED a thicknesser planer to ensure the boards were all even and square, but I had to make do with what I have. 

Not short of tools, just places to use them.

1 - what was a mirror in the downstairs loo is now a medicine cabinet. Wood is old Bluegum, which has seen a fair bit of weather. 

post-3056-0-37800200-1505121187_thumb.jpeg

post-3056-0-49031800-1505121186_thumb.jpeg

2 - finally mounted my blinds in the kitchen. 1.8m x 100mm x 120mm enclosure for the blinds.

post-3056-0-61303900-1505121185_thumb.jpeg

My weekend project, beds on wheels for 2 Great Danes, they're 1000mm x 800mm, but still seem too small, though that's what the owner ordered.

With my poser models...

4c78204dd86a0d992aefbaff884ea733.jpg

With the new owner, apparently she has arthritis in her legs, so struggles to get around, hence the need for wheels.

59b380fb2708f1c2e98519c2bc8e4b48.jpg

On a separate note, my headboard project also saw some progress, been treated, light fittings have been bought, hoping to finish it this evening.

my latest 2, and I'm getting better at working around my setup's restrictions. I don't have a workbench, I don't own a table saw and there's hardly any space to work on at the moment. Would have LOVED a thicknesser planer to ensure the boards were all even and square, but I had to make do with what I have. 

Not short of tools, just places to use them.

1 - what was a mirror in the downstairs loo is now a medicine cabinet. Wood is old Bluegum, which has seen a fair bit of weather. 

attachicon.gifWhatsApp Image 2017-09-10 at 4.52.54 PM (1).jpeg

attachicon.gifWhatsApp Image 2017-09-10 at 4.52.59 PM.jpeg

2 - finally mounted my blinds in the kitchen. 1.8m x 100mm x 120mm enclosure for the blinds.

attachicon.gifWhatsApp Image 2017-09-11 at 10.09.50 AM.jpeg

straighten that blind would you please ......... freaking me out

My weekend project, beds on wheels for 2 Great Danes, they're 1000mm x 800mm, but still seem too small, though that's what the owner ordered.

With my poser models...

4c78204dd86a0d992aefbaff884ea733.jpg

With the new owner, apparently she has arthritis in her legs, so struggles to get around, hence the need for wheels.

59b380fb2708f1c2e98519c2bc8e4b48.jpg

On a separate note, my headboard project also saw some progress, been treated, light fittings have been bought, hoping to finish it this evening.

chat to the owner to buy a babies mattress, or similar, cut to the size of the new bed, make a "sleeve" like a cushion out of old towels and then another sleeve from whatever fabric .... that old puppy will appreciate the soft and comfy bed.

Anyone built a Murphy bed? Any suggestions to source a kit locally?

I'm building a semi murphy bed soon. Doesn't go into the wall, just tilts up and rests against it. They're bloody simple to make, really...