Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

I read an interesting article that showed that box joints are stronger than dovetail joints (and is quicker to make with either the table saw or router table):

https://woodgears.ca/dovetail/dovetail_vs_boxjoint.html

https://woodgears.ca/dovetail/strength.html

But I think dovetail joints looks much better...   :D

Interesting, I love box-joints, have two jigs for the router and use them quite often.

However, I agree, a dovetail does say something about skill level and dedication to the trade and displays well.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting, I love box-joints, have two jigs for the router and use them quite often.

However, I agree, a dovetail does say something about skill level and dedication to the trade and displays well.

I still need to build a router table, limited space has prevented it for a while though. Some interesting box joint jigs for table saw too.

Next project finished:  Thien Baffle Dust Separator.

Apart from the paint scheme (which probably was not necessary), I had all the components as spares / left-overs in the garage (and I had to buy the 3 elbows - c R 25 for all three).

I firstly built the box which took a while (I also made notches that it can lock onto the Festool dust extractor) while the lid is held in place with 4 x 8 mm rods & home-made star wheels (with a nut glued into the bottom).

Building the Thien Baffle was actually quite quick.  I set my bandsaw table at the same angle as the sidewall of empty paint bucket to ensure the baffle will be horizontal once installed.  It is then simply attached with 5 screws from the outside. The baffle was designed at 240/120 degrees  (as per Mr Thien's original) but I just guessed how wide I should cut it out - but it seems to work better than I expected.

Attaching the inlet pipe was not too difficult either:  I firstly cut the 50mm drain pipe to roughly follow the outside diameter of the paint bucket and then traced the shape onto the bucket.  I then drilled a hole & the coping saw finished the job. The two bolts & nuts made sure the pipe stayed in place while applying glue with the hot glue gun.

The bottom of the bucket was simply cut out leaving c 20mm rim to attach it onto the box (which got the same sized hole).  Lots of screws & silicon ensure a tight seal.

The paint bucket lid got two plywood disks to support the extraction pipe, but the disks were kept relatively small since I wanted to retain flexibility in the lid for mounting & removal if necessary.

Lastly, to make sure the Festool hose fitted over the inlet pipe, I wrapped masking tape around the pipe until I got a tight fit. (Same was done where the pipe enters into the Festool Dust extractor).

The first test run showed quite promising results:  Around 85% efficiency on some pretty fine dust!

post-50518-0-08577800-1510687221_thumb.jpg

post-50518-0-59857900-1510688367_thumb.jpg

post-50518-0-04283100-1510688393_thumb.jpg

post-50518-0-82105600-1510688411_thumb.jpg

post-50518-0-09016400-1510688423_thumb.jpg

Edited by carrera4s

Wow that looks amazing as per usual with your work. 

I really need to do some dust extraction and been looking into various cyclone type setups.

Do you find much of a drop in suction power with this?

Wow that looks amazing as per usual with your work. 

I really need to do some dust extraction and been looking into various cyclone type setups.

Do you find much of a drop in suction power with this?

Thanks!  I have not noticed a drop in suction, but I am trying to figure out how to test it...  

The key thing is to make sure everything is sealed properly.  I suspect I might be losing some pressure on the lid/box contact since there is not a seal or anything in there - just wood on wood.  PS:  It also works with just the bucket - the box is simply for some more storage volume.  But one "test" I read with the bucket-only design is that efficiency drops very quickly as the bucket starts filling up.

Recently a friend asked me if I knew anyone who does woodwork who has a bench vice for sale.... long story short, I was surprised to see how expensive they are! It was more than 10 years ago, but when my grandfather passed away and we moved to a smaller place we left 2 of them behind (iirc) bc the new place didn't have a garage. Should have kept them! 

Recently a friend asked me if I knew anyone who does woodwork who has a bench vice for sale.... long story short, I was surprised to see how expensive they are! It was more than 10 years ago, but when my grandfather passed away and we moved to a smaller place we left 2 of them behind (iirc) bc the new place didn't have a garage. Should have kept them! 

Jirre! People like you should be relieved of your Manly Card.  :whistling:

Edited by Moridin

Jirre! People like you should be relieved of your Manly Card.  :whistling:

The consequences of being young and stupid  :blush: I did take as much of the tools that I could. 

Don't worry. I am still in the hunt for my grandpa's anvil. One big motherload of metal.

My dad, for some obscure stupid reason, gave it to my sister's loser ex husband. Claimed that he did not know I was interested in it. I almost throttled my own dad. Now I am sitting here close to Cape Town, and the ex is somewhere north of the Vaal. God only knows where, because my sis don't want to talk to him.  :cursing:

Little of topic.  :offtopic:

But Moridin's post reminded me.

Then I was still at school. 

But today I get sad thinking of all the tools, pto-welders, vices en forge-blowers my grand father just left behind when he sold the farm.  

No way to get that stuff today. 

And he did it twice!! :cursing:  :cursing:

Edited by IH8MUD

Did someone say anvil!

Nou maak jy my nog eers die bliksem in!

My gran's anvil looks like that English one. It is BIG. And I know it has a nice bounce. I worked on the thing when I was a kid. My gran used the reclaim nails and wood from old shipping crates, and I had to hammer the nails straight again. He used to get the shipping crates from SAA Cargo where he worked for a while before he retired.

Edited by Moridin