Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

Out in Bellville South, Hairy. Sort of Triangle Farm, Stikland, UWC area. 

Cool, thought you were out Woodstock way and I could possibly pop in one day ... but BS will be a bit of a commute over lunchtime :P

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool, thought you were out Woodstock way and I could possibly pop in one day ... but BS will be a bit of a commute over lunchtime :P

Now if you were on a motorcycle........ ;)

so a few weeks ago I Asked for some help on making a tool, to which my woodworking tools are not up too task.

Its a fret end file, something I need on an up and coming re-fret on 3 guitars soon, ( I seem to have a knack for buying project guitars that need new frets.)

Ed-Zulu was kind enough to respond, make and post the bit of wood I needed

(If ever you are in Joezy I owe you a beer)

the completed tool, complete with file

post-12682-0-33534300-1560837286_thumb.jpeg

And where it will be used

post-12682-0-62942000-1560837298_thumb.jpeg

A HUGE THANK YOU ED-ZULU

• 2 weeks later...

I made a honing guide for plane blades and chisels.  Hopefully I can now get them square and sharp!

I started with a block of c 110 x 75 x 40 and cut the front 45 degrees.  Then I drilled the holes for the threaded rod and the axles for the wheels.  I routed the recesses for the wheels on the router table.  Then back to the table saw to cut it in half.  Then I routed the clamping grooves with a dovetail bit and rounded over the bottom corner on the disck sander.  Epoxy the threaded rod in place, attach the wheels with short pieces of a 100mm nail (4 mm diameter) and assemble.  Coat of BLO.

Total cost:  R 15.00 for two cheap small casters for the wheels.  The other items was lying around in the garage.

Plane blades are clamped at the top and chisels at the bottom.

post-50518-0-15972400-1562312460_thumb.jpg

post-50518-0-29176300-1562312474_thumb.jpg

post-50518-0-16470300-1562312484_thumb.jpg

post-50518-0-91861700-1562312494_thumb.jpg

post-50518-0-36274900-1562312507_thumb.jpg

post-50518-0-64575100-1562312516_thumb.jpg

Edited by carrera4s

I made 3 extra honing guides from the remainder of the off-cut.  If anyone is interested, I will sell them for R 250 each. 

attachicon.gifHG7.jpg

I saw your first post during the week and wanted to ask how much to make me one.  I will definitely take one off your hands if you still have some left. That is if you are willing to send one down to CPT.  Will send you a DM.

I saw your first post during the week and wanted to ask how much to make me one.  I will definitely take one off your hands if you still have some left. That is if you are willing to send one down to CPT.  Will send you a DM.

100%.  It will be sent today!  One left.

Thanks, I gonna have to do the same thing then for something I gonna make.

I saw a post on Piterest that used the castors in the housing itself - but they used a fixed castor and then simply screwed the castors onto the body of the honing guide.  But I could not find fixed ones in that small size, thus I had to take them out of their swiveling housing and mount them "fixed" in the body itself.

So, the little plastic push bike we were keeping for the youngest girl suffered some terminal damage. The right hand handle broke clean off.

Instead of tossing it and buying another I thought it would be cool to build something.

Just good old plywood and pallet lengths.

The initial design didn't work out as the wheels were right under the seat so pushing their legs meant rubbing up against the wheel. I had to push the wheels quite far back but the low-rider look is pretty cool......

post-35569-0-76917100-1563190562_thumb.jpg

post-35569-0-86880400-1563190571_thumb.jpg

So, the little plastic push bike we were keeping for the youngest girl suffered some terminal damage. The right hand handle broke clean off.

Instead of tossing it and buying another I thought it would be cool to build something.

Just good old plywood and pallet lengths.

The initial design didn't work out as the wheels were right under the seat so pushing their legs meant rubbing up against the wheel. I had to push the wheels quite far back but the low-rider look is pretty cool......

attachicon.gifWooden pushbike.jpg

attachicon.gifWooden pushbike 2.jpg

Awesome ............. That chopper needs tassels on the handle bars!