Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We are using an old chest in the kids' playroom to store all his Lego

I added some trim to make it fitting for the room.

My wife wants to know if I can't please add the lego logo to each button

225c443770ca5cf5516b27a6bbee78af.jpg

Found this picture of a coffee table and really wanted to build one.

Then found out the millenial falcon lego model is R30k!!!!!!!!!

post-35569-0-88607500-1563195927_thumb.jpg

I've just been given a family "heirloom", a yellowwood dining room table (round, 1.5m with imbuia base) and a matching set of yellowwood riempie chairs.

It's been unused in the garage for years, and quite dirty. I believe the chairs and top were "sealed" but no more information on that.

My question is, what's the best treatment for this set? I'm thinking of stripping the sealer (Nitromors?), cleaning/sanding(?)  and then refinishing with Danish Oil (if I can find some).

Any comments or suggestions on getting this back to it's original condition?

Thanks

I've just been given a family "heirloom", a yellowwood dining room table (round, 1.5m with imbuia base) and a matching set of yellowwood riempie chairs.

It's been unused in the garage for years, and quite dirty. I believe the chairs and top were "sealed" but no more information on that.

My question is, what's the best treatment for this set? I'm thinking of stripping the sealer (Nitromors?), cleaning/sanding(?)  and then refinishing with Danish Oil (if I can find some).

Thanks

I think you are on the right track - Danish oil finishes yellowood quite nicely and wears very well - my yellowood table has survived 12 years and 2 babies without being refinished - although arguably it could use a refinish now - one of many projects on the list.

I bought my Danish oil in Strydom Park at Hardware Center - pretty sure they will still stock it - given that online they do.

http://www.hardwarecentre.co.za/?post_type=product&was=was&s=danish

Here's a pergola I built over a weekend; it makes an entranceway to my back yard at the top of a flight of stairs through a block retaining wall (which I also designed and built). Very rewarding thing to do and super easy. Really finishes off the entranceway. Stained it charcoal; added the red doors as I thought a pop of colour would brighten things up (my front door is the same shade of red).

I added the railings and 'backing' for the doors to the basic design; I find making doors a very rewarding activity, turning bits of board and plank into something useful - get plenty of practice doing rebates, too :).

post-1046-0-86151100-1563485064_thumb.jpg

post-1046-0-08297800-1563485167_thumb.jpg

post-1046-0-31400300-1563485241_thumb.jpg

post-1046-0-82681500-1563485283_thumb.jpg

post-1046-0-02352600-1563485297_thumb.jpg

Here's the video I referenced for this project if anyone else wants to have a crack; here, most of our timber is treated radiata pine, easy to work with.

Also, I used quickset concrete to place the posts, awesome stuff, you can carry on working an hour after chucking it in the hole, and you also literally just chuck it in the hole - no need to premix in a wheelbarrow or mixer or what have you. Really saves a ton of time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pJmVLQyd6U&t=27s

Here's a pergola I built over a weekend; it makes an entranceway to my back yard at the top of a flight of stairs through a block retaining wall (which I also designed and built). Very rewarding thing to do and super easy. Really finishes off the entranceway. Stained it charcoal; added the red doors as I thought a pop of colour would brighten things up (my front door is the same shade of red).

I added the railings and 'backing' for the doors to the basic design; I find making doors a very rewarding activity, turning bits of board and plank into something useful - get plenty of practice doing rebates, too :).

New Zealand security and access control: Ultimate Level.   :)  

New Zealand security and access control: Ultimate Level.   :)  

The struggle is real man, I have to try keep my damned beagle in...that, and that alone, is what gates and fences are for!

While I'm here, here's the latest addition to my AEG arsenal - got him last week, eager to put the wee fella to more work..which I'll be doing this weekend. Up until a few months ago, I didn't even know what these things were.

post-1046-0-50298500-1563487302_thumb.jpg

I see a red door and I want to paint it black.............

I see a red door and I want to paint it black.............

New paper pad please.

Snot, tea, rusk all over my note pad. Lucky I avoided the screen

Thanks

Woodoc, smooth as glass, with or without shine.  Yellowood, definitely clear 50?.  (Heat resistant)

Seal with three coats Woodoc clear sealant and light sanding in-between and three coats 50 also light sanding in-between. Use a decent brush. Woodoc interior or exterior (more UV protection) wood food once a year with a sponge and it will last a lifetime.

Don't play around with pieces like this.  Fantastic!

Have done a couple in my life and they still look new.