Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

oh MG, it is also battery operated !

Favourite tools are battery drill and impact driver, skilly and recipro saw - man you can do a lot with those wee fellas. And the 18v skilly is powerful enough for most jobs, but not so powerful that kickback is a problem (ie pretty good to get handy with a skilly with reduced risk). On long rips it bogs a bit, but definitely workable!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Guys, I need some help please.

There are a few items at a pawn shop in Durban North that I want, but the owner does not accept EFT - cash on collection only. 

Is there maybe someone that can go pick them up for me please?  I will send you an EFT (with a bit extra for your trouble) and then send a courier to pick it up from you.  Please send me a PM if you can help.

Saterday project, turning an unused backroom into a small workroom

Did a quick sketch up design Friday evening. Picked up the wood from Chamberlain Saterday morning and completed everything before the sun was down.

The metal sheet wrapped around table top took me 2 hours with a hammer.

The table is 2m wide but look smaller due to the panorama picture

All the material came in under R2kbb3e874056d19c98c5f336bcdc90b0f6.jpg

Edited by Jaws677

Hi Guys, hopefully someone here can help me.  I am looking for a live centre and a drill chuck for a wood lathe.  My headstock and tailstock are #1 mores taper.

I see Adendorff has a MT1 live centre for R300 but no drill chucks and MT1-B16 arbor in stock at the Cape Town branch. 

Tools4Wood has some options but that is R1200 for a WoodRiver chuck with MT1 arbor.  That is a bit out of my price range.

Is there any other place in Cape Town area that will have this stuff or maybe another online shop?

Hi Guys, hopefully someone here can help me.  I am looking for a live centre and a drill chuck for a wood lathe.  My headstock and tailstock are #1 mores taper.

I see Adendorff has a MT1 live centre for R300 but no drill chucks and MT1-B16 arbor in stock at the Cape Town branch. 

Tools4Wood has some options but that is R1200 for a WoodRiver chuck with MT1 arbor.  That is a bit out of my price range.

Is there any other place in Cape Town area that will have this stuff or maybe another online shop?

https://www.strandhardware.co.za/nova-drill-chuck-12-2mt

You'll need a MT2 adapter though. Give them a call, they have more turning gear than the other dealers.

• 2 weeks later...

post-2696-0-87097500-1565684481_thumb.jpg

post-2696-0-51454000-1565684497_thumb.jpg

Hey Guys

I got this work bench from my Dad many years ago.

He got it from a guy who had it for a few years before that.

The problem is it is a BIG bench, measuring 2.5m long.

Can any of you have any ideas on how to re-purpose this thing? I do not know if there is enough wood to make a table (we already have one). But could possibly do with an outside table - just not sure such a dark colour would work.

I suspect the top is meranti as the wood has that sweet smell and is slightly reddish. The legs may well be pine.

Any other ideas or suggestions?

For now I am going to keep it, as I just had to  re design our garage to accommodate the table  :blink: 

if you decide to maybe dispose of it let me know. I've been wanting a bench and was thinking of a 2.5-3m long bench.

attachicon.gif20190806_113751_resize.jpg

attachicon.gif20190806_113807_resize.jpg

Hey Guys

Can any of you have any ideas on how to re-purpose this thing? I do not know if there is enough wood to make a table (we already have one). But could possibly do with an outside table - just not sure such a dark colour would work.

I suspect the top is meranti as the wood has that sweet smell and is slightly reddish. The legs may well be pine.

For now I am going to keep it, as I just had to  re design our garage to accommodate the table  :blink:

Looks like old oregon pine to me. 

A planer will bring the wood back to life again ready for a new project. Just watch out for nails and screws - it'll ruin your blades/knives.

The world is your oyster...

Stefan, the base I think is oregon pine.

The top I am not so sure, will take some more pics later.

But I do not have the skills (although I wish I did) nor the time to take on a project like this.

But what to use this for ? I have no idea.

@mon goose - will really consider your offer if I cannot come up with any ideas. Just so much history and memories for me with that bench.

I think you are on the right track - Danish oil finishes yellowood quite nicely and wears very well - my yellowood table has survived 12 years and 2 babies without being refinished - although arguably it could use a refinish now - one of many projects on the list.

I bought my Danish oil in Strydom Park at Hardware Center - pretty sure they will still stock it - given that online they do.

http://www.hardwarecentre.co.za/?post_type=product&was=was&s=danish

As a matter of interest, will Danish Oil work on Rhodesian Teak (not sure if that's the correct name, but that's what the seller of the furniture items called it)?

Some of the pieces are kept indoors, and others (coffee table, directors chairs) are outdoors.

But I do not have the skills (although I wish I did) nor the time to take on a project like this.

@mon goose - will really consider your offer if I cannot come up with any ideas. Just so much history and memories for me with that bench.

Unless you have another work space or never ever do anything diy I would keep it as is but clean it up to look nice again. I have recently added similar sized bench in my garage hardwood top (no idea what wood Dad sourced it somewhere). If you want bit more options maybe section it into two smaller benches, would need to add extra legs etc. Then maybe add wheels too one of them, then you can use it as portable workspace (get the locking wheels).

If you already have a workspace, Friend turned a table like that(shorter one however) into baby changing station and now uses it as extra counter space in new house. His was one of those builders ones though and yours would look lot better cleaned up. 

Edited by Amberdrake

attachicon.gif20190806_113751_resize.jpg

attachicon.gif20190806_113807_resize.jpg

Hey Guys

You could remove the top and rework it.

Then mount it to the wall on hinges so it is a drop down work bench. That way it is not in the way when not needed.

I find large, flat surfaces accumulate crap as it becomes a storage/dumping area.....

You could remove the top and rework it.

Then mount it to the wall on hinges so it is a drop down work bench. That way it is not in the way when not needed.

I find large, flat surfaces accumulate crap as it becomes a storage/dumping area.....

If you want to make me mad you put stuff on my workspace...... everything has a spot and the spot is not on top of the bench.

You'd have to 'clean' up the wood to be able to identify the specie. My money is still on oregon pine though.