Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

This was a project that took way longer than expected.

3 months before birth, and 6 months there after.

Used Raw Blackwood boards which my dad purchased around 20 years ago in Knysna.

Using an electrical handplaner was a really time consuming and crappy job. Time to buy a thicknesser!!!

76 Joints took even longer.

It is a knock-down unit, so it can be dismantled and stored when he outgrows it.

The wheels will be removed when we don't have to get up every 4 hours to feed him.

Wow that looks great, love the wood. Its definitely worth it in the end but a whole lot of work to get something like that made.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This was a project that took way longer than expected.

3 months before birth, and 6 months there after.

Used Raw Blackwood boards which my dad purchased around 20 years ago in Knysna.

Using an electrical handplaner was a really time consuming and crappy job. Time to buy a thicknesser!!!

76 Joints took even longer.

It is a knock-down unit, so it can be dismantled and stored when he outgrows it.

The wheels will be removed when we don't have to get up every 4 hours to feed him.

That is a very old classic design very well done Tothehills.

We have one very similar to that in the family that gets passed around to whoever has little ones at the time........we don't really know how old it is, but it was used for my father, and he is now 82. Literally all the kids, cousins, grandkids, grew up with it.

You have made something very special. Great job!  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

Our study's cupboards / murphy bed is eventually finished.  Between some crooked solid wood pieces, skew walls, uneven & not level floor etc, it turned out a bit bigger challenge than it should have been!

The two doors on either side has some removable shelving space and a rail for hanging some shirts etc if necessary.  The cupboards at the top can only take light stuff - I forgot to design some proper support below it.  :whistling:

And two down lights act as bedside lamps - nice to read at.

The mechanism came from Hiddenbeds-sa.co.za and the wood panels was supplied by Wood@Ease.

I will add this to the tools4wood competition, so please go like my entry!

attachicon.gifKas 1 Klein.jpg

attachicon.gifKas 2 Klein.jpg

attachicon.gifKas 5 Klein.jpg

attachicon.gifKas 6 Klein.jpg

Just wow and respect. Your projects are always so beautiful and so precise!  :thumbup:  :clap:

Thanks DJR

That's awesome. How many babies did that cot see?

That is a very old classic design very well done Tothehills.

We have one very similar to that in the family that gets passed around to whoever has little ones at the time........we don't really know how old it is, but it was used for my father, and he is now 82. Literally all the kids, cousins, grandkids, grew up with it.

You have made something very special. Great job!  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

Our study's cupboards / murphy bed is eventually finished.  Between some crooked solid wood pieces, skew walls, uneven & not level floor etc, it turned out a bit bigger challenge than it should have been!

The two doors on either side has some removable shelving space and a rail for hanging some shirts etc if necessary.  The cupboards at the top can only take light stuff - I forgot to design some proper support below it.  :whistling:

And two down lights act as bedside lamps - nice to read at.

The mechanism came from Hiddenbeds-sa.co.za and the wood panels was supplied by Wood@Ease.

I will add this to the tools4wood competition, so please go like my entry!

attachicon.gifKas 1 Klein.jpg

attachicon.gifKas 2 Klein.jpg

attachicon.gifKas 5 Klein.jpg

attachicon.gifKas 6 Klein.jpg

Mooi man. I need something like that for my twins room. 3 kids and only a 3 bedroom house means space sometimes becomes an issue and right now building-on is not an option. Thanks for the links.

Thanks DJR

That's awesome. How many babies did that cot see?

I'm not sure, but in my time it put myself and 2 siblings through, then two kids each for each of us. That makes 10. Before me, my father had 4 siblings, and they all used it as well. That makes 15. I don't know who of my uncles and aunts used it for my cousins, but at least some did. Altogether there are 12 cousins. Before my father, I honestly don't know if it was new or already old at the time. Good question that, but a very poor answer, sorry!. Let me thumb-suck and say 21! :)

FINALLY, got the endless dragging project done! But you'll have to bear with me, I'm going to show it the same way.....in dribs and drabs!

Start with lots of pine planks - pre-made shelving, to be exact. Big mistake that. It was bloody expensive and really rubbish. Should have paid a bit more for decent plywood. Plan, measure, cut.  

post-17716-0-49588200-1567415576_thumb.jpg

post-17716-0-67604700-1567415588_thumb.jpg

Assemble, glue, clamp, sand, sand some more. I even got a couple of joins to look OK. You DO know that sanding is an infinite job........it is NEVER done.........you just stop when you GIVE UP! I suppose a cricketer would declare!

post-17716-0-66975700-1567415853_thumb.jpg

post-17716-0-93709600-1567415862_thumb.jpg

Edited by DJR

David wants it black, yes BLACK!

But dad, it must still look like wood! So, no paint allowed! Stain, stain stain, EBONY, everywhere, several layers and one permanently black index finger - until he's happy with the look! Then matte varnish, more sanding (the physio rolled her eyes when I told her what I'm doing with the broken shoulder, but said that if it isn't painful, then it is good exercise. I didn't tell her that I had to take a Voltaren to sleep that night.) More layers of varnish.

post-17716-0-91495500-1567416114_thumb.jpg

Edited by DJR

And suddenly it is DONE! A modular book case for David.

It can be assembled any way you want, shifted, moved, stretched, even made to go vertical. And yes, I know, I'll have to move the bike rail higher because I left the height of the castors out of my planning!  :blush:

The inspiration is from the paintings of Duch artist Piet Mondrian and Rietveld Schroder house in Holland, which also took its inspiration from the same source.

B.t.w. Taking pictures of something black against a black background is almost impossible!

post-17716-0-33529400-1567417021_thumb.jpg

post-17716-0-10421900-1567417048_thumb.jpg

Edited by DJR