Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

A quick snap shot of the works, I do not want to mention the project location or show more pics for now as we are presenting this snag list to the contractor and are awaiting his remedial works methodology and proposals.

What was the outcome Hairy?

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What was the outcome Hairy?

Main Contractor is meeting today with the joiner to discuss and resolve.

The same person did steel framed timber louvered screens on the project (after the staircase installation as this was part of the contract), and here the workmanship was far better, pretty damned decent actually ... granted the degree of difficulty is less though.

:clap: :clap:

Also remember that there is no shame in using the 60 grit gouge if making cuts will get you in trouble!!

It gets a lot easier after a while, turning is still my first love in woodworking and Im really enjoying it again lately.

I’ve contemplated getting a lathe, but the accessories (chuck and chisels) are just too much.

I do my turning on my drill press with rasps and files in the meantime until I can justify the expense. Got other big purchases planned, and turning work is not really in the work I do.

0d212ab23a7b3d42fab40f47308a7fab.jpgaa3745f541b9cc727ed6910af2deee1f.jpg

Edited by stefmeister

I’ve contemplated getting a lathe, but the accessories (chuck and chisels) are just too much.

I do my turning on my drill press with rasps and files in the meantime until I can justify the expense. Got other big purchases planned, and turning work is not really in the work I do.

0d212ab23a7b3d42fab40f47308a7fab.jpgaa3745f541b9cc727ed6910af2deee1f.jpg

Can you make a base plate with a rotating pin of sorts that you can fix to the bench for when you are doing your turning?

It should stabilise (and make things safer) the piece you are working on and letting you getting a more accurate finished product?

Can you make a base plate with a rotating pin of sorts that you can fix to the bench for when you are doing your turning?

It should stabilise (and make things safer) the piece you are working on and letting you getting a more accurate finished product?

The photo isn't too clear, but there is a bolt with a sharpened end with a bearing. The screw on the block holds the bearing down.

It's just a schlep to align the centers (coaxial/concentric) of the drill chuck and the "tail stock" and you usually find that out when you're halfway through the process and things look wonky.

Edited by stefmeister

The photo isn't too clear, but there is a bolt with a sharpened end with a bearing. The screw on the block holds the bearing down.

It's just a schlep to align the centers (coaxial/concentric) of the drill chuck and the "tail stock" and you usually find that out when you're halfway through the process and things look wonky.

Ah ok ... I was thinking of something like this to act as base plate and "pin" on your bench.

post-5403-0-18774000-1574771640_thumb.jpg

post-5403-0-73083900-1574771644_thumb.jpg

Ah ok ... I was thinking of something like this to act as base plate and "pin" on your bench.

To find CL of drill press and bolts would be simple ... drill into your timber base with a very small dia drill bit, use the hole as a central point for a compass and scribe a dia that is equal to the CL of the base place fixings?

To find CL of drill press and bolts would be simple ... drill into your timber base with a very small dia drill bit, use the hole as a central point for a compass and scribe a dia that is equal to the CL of the base place fixings?

Only if you drill bit is as long as the stock you're turning. Problem comes when you have to move the drill press table down to fit between the centers - it doesn't stay aligned unfortunately.

Only if you drill bit is as long as the stock you're turning. Problem comes when you have to move the drill press table down to fit between the centers - it doesn't stay aligned unfortunately.

mark out the CL of the material on the bottom and drive in a screw .... fit this to the drill press .... lower it till it is just above your "pin" and eyeball it to be CL of the screw head? 

if the screw is a phillips , the + could "auto locate" the top of your pin ... the mark out or fix your base plate/pin combo down.

just shooting from the hip here as I like what you are doing and somehow and finding this exciting!

mark out the CL of the material on the bottom and drive in a screw .... fit this to the drill press .... lower it till it is just above your "pin" and eyeball it to be CL of the screw head? 

if the screw is a phillips , the + could "auto locate" the top of your pin ... the mark out or fix your base plate/pin combo down.

just shooting from the hip here as I like what you are doing and somehow and finding this exciting!

Sounds like something to try out that could work.

I've also used a dowel on the chuck side before that helps with the center alignment, but then that hole also needs to be drilled pretty straight/square...and it did break off once.

Drill press turning works fine for door knobs and other small items, it's a bit of a challenge for longer handles etc. and a router or table saw jig would be better suited if you don't have a lathe.

nice mosaic pin!

where did you get your steel and pins from .... making a knife is looking to be my December hobby this year!

Pins i get from China as its the most cost effective... Locally its just too expensive. Steel I mainly use reclaimed material as its also the most cost effective way at the moment for me. Old saw blades, files, leaf springs etc.  If you need steel to practice let me know and ill hook you up.  :thumbup: