Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

Pins i get from China as its the most cost effective... Locally its just too expensive. Steel I mainly use reclaimed material as its also the most cost effective way at the moment for me. Old saw blades, files, leaf springs etc.  If you need steel to practice let me know and ill hook you up.  :thumbup:

Then we should seriously chat!

Do you do your own heat treating?

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Though to be a chop and highly critical ... that pin should have been aligned with the top of the 5 star arm to the top of the handle  :ph34r:

:lol: Jaja make a couple and we can talk again about being critical. This is for me so dont really care about nitty gritties like that. These are purely for enjoyment and not masterpieces. Although it cuts my biltong like a hot knife through butter thank you very much  :P

Then we should seriously chat!

Do you do your own heat treating?

Jip, old school in the fire until i can afford to build a propper forge.

:lol: Jaja make a couple and we can talk again about being critical. This is for me so dont really care about nitty gritties like that. These are purely for enjoyment and not masterpieces. Although it cuts my biltong like a hot knife through butter thank you very much  :P

Start the knife making thread already would you!

Does anyone here know where I can source decorative wood grained plywood sheets at minimum size of 2.7m x 1.0m - around 15 - 18mm thick - I have a table project for my braai area, but before I start I need to find a suitable surface layer.

Anyone got a source?

Does anyone here know where I can source decorative wood grained plywood sheets at minimum size of 2.7m x 1.0m - around 15 - 18mm thick - I have a table project for my braai area, but before I start I need to find a suitable surface layer.

Anyone got a source?

Plywood sheets comes in at 2440 x 1220 mm. So 2.7m isn't going to work - only particle/fiber boards are that length. 

There should be a number of suppliers up north that can either supply the veneered boards or do the veneering for you, eg. http://www.pearlman.co.za/about/

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking for a hand saw to cut smaller pieces with. What saw would be worthwhile to get at a reasonable price? I was looking at the ryoba type saws on toolcraft, but most of them are out of stock.

I'm building a ring box using hand tools and I need to split the wood for an inlay and to later cut the lid from the base.

Pins i get from China as its the most cost effective... Locally its just too expensive. Steel I mainly use reclaimed material as its also the most cost effective way at the moment for me. Old saw blades, files, leaf springs etc.  If you need steel to practice let me know and ill hook you up.  :thumbup:

Please don't paint the wood.

I'm looking for a hand saw to cut smaller pieces with. What saw would be worthwhile to get at a reasonable price? I was looking at the ryoba type saws on toolcraft, but most of them are out of stock.

I'm building a ring box using hand tools and I need to split the wood for an inlay and to later cut the lid from the base.

Try hardware centre. The ryoba saw is nice, and value for money as it's basically a rip and crosscut saw in one, failing that a kataba saw is essentially the same but with only one cutting edge. Dozuki has a spine and very fine kerf and is best suited for joinery like dovetails.

Jip, old school in the fire until i can afford to build a propper forge.

This is much less expensive than you think for a small sized one you can use for knives - couple of refractory bricks and a bit of ingenuity and an lpg bottle.

Helped a mate build one so his kids could build some knives for a school project (ok - the forge was also a project for 1 of them)

He got the bricks free from one of the cement kilns when they did a refresh of the liner, but they are not expensive.

Edited by V12man

This is much less expensive than you think for a small sized one you can use for knives - couple of refractory bricks and a bit of ingenuity and an lpg bottle.

Helped a mate build one so his kids could build some knives for a school project (ok - the forge was also a project for 1 of them)

He got the bricks free from one of the cement kilns when they did a refresh of the liner, but they are not expensive.

There are a couple of examples where coffee tins and clay/whateva are used to create kilns too......but charcoal, the wife's hair dryer and a black metal would still be far more economical .... and then you can braai afterwards too!

There are a couple of examples where coffee tins and clay/whateva are used to create kilns too......but charcoal, the wife's hair dryer and a black metal would still be far more economical .... and then you can braai afterwards too!

Kids don't get marks for using the braai.... :) :) :)

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately I just blew my bonus on a KTM 1290 Super Adventure R.

I probably would have done the same! great bike that.