Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

I had a Ryobi bandsaw...

I now consider myself a Master bandsaw setter-upper, my services are used up and down the street :cursing: ...I still celebrate the day I could afford NOT-Ryobi

I "inherited" a small table top Einhell bandsaw (Reckon it was made in the early 90's), the blade is only around 1450mm and took me ages to find someone that could make up the blades for me (Found some guys in Cleveland, JHB), once i did and fixed it up, it became one of the most used items in the garage (keeping in mind my RC plane addiction).

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've also been tempted to remove the shitty legs and mount it on a trolley or table, and extend the table. If the blade sorts out the issues I'm having with it, then I'll do that. Also - agreed on the fence. Shitty design and shitty implementation. 

something like this. 

http://www.finewoodworking.com/assets/uploads/posts/110729/DSC_0002.JPG

Which, if planned properly, I could mount on collapsible legs and lift it into the recess behind my carport when I'm not using it, using a pulley system. 

And no, I don't have space for it normally... 

Go to a bolt and nut shop and get Locknuts (Nylock) in the right size. One per bolt (little rod) and you'd be waxed.

Thanks

Apparently, Freud was bought by Bosch, so hopefully soon we will be able to get some decent saw blades in SA. Not sure if it is now their Precision Series. Many years ago I did buy a good blade from some place in Salt River, don't recall who they where anymore.

I by default refuse to buy TorkCraft, unless I can't find an alternative supplier.

Edited by Moridin

Does anyone know what this beautifull red wood is? It is harder than Kiaat, but not nearly as hard as yellow wood or Rhodesian teak. It has quite difficult interlocking grain, and the endgrain is quite porous. post-36242-0-79334800-1469727142_thumb.jpegpost-36242-0-31569700-1469727159_thumb.jpeg

Possibly african rosewood. I work with rosewood quite a lot on antique pianos that we restore and it is a bit darker than that.

something like this. 

http://www.finewoodworking.com/assets/uploads/posts/110729/DSC_0002.JPG

Which, if planned properly, I could mount on collapsible legs and lift it into the recess behind my carport when I'm not using it, using a pulley system. 

And no, I don't have space for it normally... 

Thaks for the idea. I just had a look at my saw, and at somepoint i should make me a table like that.

Possibly african rosewood. I work with rosewood quite a lot on antique pianos that we restore and it is a bit darker than that.

Definately not rosewood. This wood is little bit softer than rosewood and a lot more red. Almost a light beetroot kind of red. From images I have googled, it looks a lot like Rooi Ivoor, but it can't be, because Rooi Ivoor is a lot harder and heavier. Somerhing else that it almost resembles is Cocobolo, but the darker streaks in the grain pattern is not so evident as it is in Cocobolo. Edited by Sniffie

I am more of a bush carpenter than woodworker but find the books by James Krenov really interesting.  Worth a read IMHO.

That may be Padauk

I think you may be right. The grey weathered surface also ties in. I can also see a bit of orange in it, like Padauk. Excellent for outdoors use, which is why they used it for the Boomslang tree top walk in Kirstenbosch. Apparently also a fairly eco friendly and sustainable wood.

Making progress on the table, mistakes have been made, and lessons learnt, but I'm happy with the outcome so far.

Spreader to be done, final sanding, and then time to stain and seal!

b59aef1f06cbeccc60eefe4b716281a2.jpg

any chance you going to give the long edges of the top a wide underside bevel?

love those chunky legs.