Greg Minnaar

Mongoose!

3 hours ago, Shebeen said:

So many other brands seem to support their marquee rider once they retire (thinking Sauser) 

Think Steve Peat...

It is a different time in cycling financially however, lots of turmoil.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, Nick said:

Think Steve Peat...

It is a different time in cycling financially however, lots of turmoil.

That one too. Is peaty still involved with the team, maybe that's the space taken up already?

9 minutes ago, Nick said:

Too many legends spoil the broth. Good point.

answering my own question, Peaty is the team manager.

so reading between the lines.

scenario A: just no budget for team going forwrad under current setup. either cut 4 young riders or GM

scenario B:GM wants to move into rider/coach/manager role, but Peaty is there so he needs to go elsewhere and start afresh.

scenario 😄 GM offered big ca$h/upside to switch to a new project

scenario C seems unplausible, EXCEPT if it includes something like a kelly slater/chris froome sort of deal where he receives some equity in the bike brand company on hitting some metrics along the way. I can imagine a YT/canyon (or other youngish brand) able to scale up production on the GM signature model shifting units freeing u shares to make this happen.

or a combo of three

I can't see him joining Norco as the current rumor mill suggests. I don't see a brand like that having the budget for a rider of his stature. He's a Fox and shimano guy and Norco run SRAM. If anything that team looks to be scaling back not putting big money into a guy like GM.

Plus he's intimately involved with the SC brand here in SA. He's recently married and he REALLY has nothing more to prove. 

I reckon we'll see a retirement announcement with side projects announced soon.

@capediver and I bumped into him in Morzine. Just rolling through town like a regular dude. He'd heard about the Saffers getting rowdy the night before at Robbo's. That was a great night that I can't remember.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

2 minutes ago, Duane_Bosch said:

I can't see him joining Norco as the current rumor mill suggests. I don't see a brand like that having the budget for a rider of his stature. He's a Fox and shimano guy and Norco run SRAM. Plus he's intimately involved with the SC brand here in SA. He's recently married and he REALLY has nothing more to prove. 

GM IG mentions HotChilli partnership...so expect to see the GOAT on the Road and Gravelling....!?

https://www.instagram.com/p/C0enF97MGq4/?igshid=ZDBjMWI0ZjMxOQ%3D%3D&img_index=1

From Rob Roskopp 

"What a ride, Greg! I have so many fond memories over the years, on and off the bike. The Syndicate was so much more, it was our extended family. It's hard to watch what has happened to SCB. It all comes down to leadership. My biggest regret is putting people that lacked vision in place. We all make mistakes, but getting rid of key people that made the brand what it was, is just plain stupid! I understand why you wanted to leave. All the best going forward with your new ride. I'm excited to spend time with the family over Christmas and New Year's in SA."
https://www.instagram.com/p/C0fx7yUrvEp/?hl=en

Really good and insightful one on one interview with GM on The Roller Door; 
"The Goat moves on... Greg Minnaar holds more wins than any other athlete in the history of Men's elite downhill racing. He's been on the Santa Cruz Syndicate for 16 years, he's raced 7 genertations of the santa cruz V10, and he's put our bikes on the top step too many times to list here, and as you may have heard, his time on the team is coming to an end. On this episode of the podcast Garen and Greg talk about the early days of the syndicate, numerous competitors througout the years, how gregs stays young, and about some of greg's greatest moments with the Santa Cruz Syndicate. Remember, you can ask questions/ make comments by emailing podcast@santacruzbicycles.com"

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/celebrating-greg-minnaars-16-years-on-the-santa-cruz/id1670189778?i=1000637582151

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C0epVPPxSPU/

23 hours ago, Duane_Bosch said:

I can't see him joining Norco as the current rumor mill suggests. I don't see a brand like that having the budget for a rider of his stature. He's a Fox and shimano guy and Norco run SRAM. If anything that team looks to be scaling back not putting big money into a guy like GM.

Plus he's intimately involved with the SC brand here in SA. He's recently married and he REALLY has nothing more to prove. 

@capediver and I bumped into him in Morzine. Just rolling through town like a regular dude. He'd heard about the Saffers getting rowdy the night before at Robbo's. That was a great night that I can't remember.

how do you know someone has been to Morzine...