Cyclists flying overseas with bikes on Emirates

I personally fly about 3-5 times a year overseas and half of those take my bike with in a bag. Either Evoc of the Scican (sp) I do only ever fly Emirates but I have never ever been charged for a bike in 5 yrs of doing so regardless of where I have flown into or out of in different countries. I have just landed last night from europe and again not even a eye lid batted.

My 1.2c

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally fly about 3-5 times a year overseas and half of those take my bike with in a bag. Either Evoc of the Scican (sp) I do only ever fly Emirates but I have never ever been charged for a bike in 5 yrs of doing so regardless of where I have flown into or out of in different countries. I have just landed last night from europe and again not even a eye lid batted.

My 1.2c

Thanks John, don't feel like been told i need to pay 200$ at check in.

I'm with John - never been charged to take a bike on a plane.

It's always good to read the specific airline's baggage policy, particularly when it comes to sporting equipment.

Lufthansa will allow you to take your bike bag as part of your luggage count, but you do need to make a booking beforehand (to reduce the risk of it being left on the tarmac at loading time, ala Sani2C ;) ).

Flying Air France to Majorca in December Getting there will include a transfer from Charles de Gaul to Orly airports and visa versa on the way back. 2 nights in Paris on the way back.

The Ball Ache vs Benefit equation has us renting bikes in Majorca this time. 125 Euro per bike for 8 days. For 2 x Spez Allez with 105. The Air France baggage policy regarding bikes is a bit vague but it seems we would have had to pay 100 Euro per bike per leg. So 400 Euro all in.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

So would the best bet be a bike box or a standard bike bag? I always think that the bags and cases look bigger than a box and may raise a few red flags. Need to get my duck in a row as I'm heading to the UK and hoping to tag a week to go and see Bonus in Spain and see what his trail are like. 

So would the best bet be a bike box or a standard bike bag? I always think that the bags and cases look bigger than a box and may raise a few red flags. Need to get my duck in a row as I'm heading to the UK and hoping to tag a week to go and see Bonus in Spain and see what his trail are like. 

I think I'm unique in this but I prefer a good ol cardboard box. They are lighter than bike bags and the bike bags are so cumbersome and ungainly that the wheels are almost completely useless IMO.

Just make sure you source a box waaaaay in advance and don't be shy with the packing tape. I used 3 full rolls on my last trip. 

For flying with bikes my recommendation is Qatar. Their baggage limits are clear on their website and there's no nervousness around whether the dollie at the counter will hit you for $100. There are also nice quiet areas in Doha airport where you can grab a lounger and a few hours of kip. Top Tip. Take a blanki coz the aircon is cold.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Just make sure you source a box waaaaay in advance and don't be shy with the packing tape. I used 3 full rolls on my last trip. 

:lol: Solid job, how long did it take to break back in? I was thinking the same TBH. I've never really taken a whole bike OS and usually bring back frames / kit in the frame box and no one ever blinks... plus there is a lot or room to cover in fragile stickers and write 'LCD TV inside' in several languages. Apparently that is the thing that gets handled with the most care by the baggage guys. I'm guessing 'care' is a relative term. 

Flying Air France to Majorca in December Getting there will include a transfer from Charles de Gaul to Orly airports and visa versa on the way back. 2 nights in Paris on the way back.

The Ball Ache vs Benefit equation has us renting bikes in Majorca this time. 125 Euro per bike for 8 days. For 2 x Spez Allez with 105. The Air France baggage policy regarding bikes is a bit vague but it seems we would have had to pay 100 Euro per bike per leg. So 400 Euro all in.

I was billed on Airfrance,, exactly that 100 euro per leg however a leg was considered from start to the end point even though we changed planes a number of times. Cost me 200 euro both ways.

With the hassle of having the bike bag, next time i seriously look at renting. These bike bags are a real ball ache when organising transport

I was billed on Airfrance,, exactly that 100 euro per leg however a leg was considered from start to the end point even though we changed planes a number of times. Cost me 200 euro both ways.

With the hassle of having the bike bag, next time i seriously look at renting. These bike bags are a real ball ache when organising transport

Ah ok. so it would have been 400 to fly our own bikes. That's too much.

The nervousness associated with flying a bike plus the hassles of dragging it around and in this case the cost made it logical for us to rent.

Happy to rent a roadie. We're taking saddles, pedals and GPS's and we've already send measurements to the shop so it should be sorted. There was a full spectrum available but we basically went as cheap as possible but with decent drive train.

In the bikeparks its a different story. 85 euro per day for a dh bike is just too much unless you have a mechanical being fixed at the shop.

Thanks John, don't feel like been told i need to pay 200$ at check in.

On economy you get 2 x 23kg. If you have a bike bag of 30kg and a normal bag of 16kg you good to go or any other alternative. 

Business is more and if you do belong to Emirates Skywards depending on Tier you get more additional for free. Example Im on Gold with them, regardless if I am flying Economy or Business I get additional 16kg of luggage allowance. 

Honestly I have no idea where you get charged that amount for Emirates.

I've travelled locally with my bike in a cardboard box, but for overseas travel have always opted for a bike bag. It's just so much easier wheeling a bike bag around than trying to lug a box everywhere - especially if you're relying on public transport etc...

Contact Ottille Quince for bike rentals - +44 7807 248735 in Majorca or any other type of service bike related. Tell her the male version from SA of her sent you. 

Another top tip.

The baggage trolleys in some airports in Europe are released with a 2 Euro coin. As luck would have it a 2 Euro coin is EXACTLY the same size as a R5 coin.

Contact Ottille Quince for bike rentals - +44 7807 248735 in Majorca or any other type of service bike related. Tell her the male version from SA of her sent you. 

Thanks. Where is he based?

I think I'm unique in this but I prefer a good ol cardboard box. They are lighter than bike bags and the bike bags are so cumbersome and ungainly that the wheels are almost completely useless IMO.

For flying with bikes my recommendation is Qatar. Their baggage limits are clear on their website and there's no nervousness around whether the dollie at the counter will hit you for $100. There are also nice quiet areas in Doha airport where you can grab a lounger and a few hours of kip. Top Tip. Take a blanki coz the aircon is cold.

Many fly with the cardboard boxes. In fact Canyon tell you to safe your box for future use when travelling with a video on how to get you bike back in the box.  

The other day I was at Munich airport to meet someone.  I saw someone walking out with a cardboard box.  He strapped a small skateboard with tape underneath the box to wheel the box throught the airport.  #Genius