What is the biggest bike and/or bike gear buy mistake you have made?

KCNC Crankset in the weight weenie pursuit. Thing nearly fell off after a few km's.

Then the headache of trying to get my money back.

That was the weight-shedding feature. Thought you said you were in pursuit of weight savings? You shouldn't complain about things like this.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Always thought Diamond backs were the bizniz in the 90's. so finally ponied up the cash to buy what i thought was my dream diamond back in ?2000?. They didn't quite get the alux frames anywhere nearly as cool as the chromoly ones and that was that. it had a mechanical front disk and v rear. both were always requiring adjusting.

It took me a long time to actually realise how crap it really was when I upgraded 5/6 years later. became a bit of a bike snob since (which is quite hard when you're also a cheapskate).

12LILGIANT-BLUE.jpg

Cute as a button but also the most counter productive thing you can buy your kid to get them to start riding. Mostly because it really hinders learning to balance on two wheels. 

Something they can learn very quickly at a very young age with a balance bike (which is also half the price). Thankfully she's got over it once she realized how much faster she could go on the balance bike.  

Not me, but someone else's mistake, buying a roof rack!

post-28269-0-90203200-1468669289_thumb.jpeg

Edited by @Joecoolls

First mistake, sellimg my 1 year old silverback alu road bike to buy a carbon bike. Sold the bike for R 3000. The first winter I had to put a tire on the new bike for the indoor trainer and take it of again when the weather is good, I could kick myself. That R3000 was small change for the effort.

Second mistake. Bought a Titan 26 er for R 4000. Salesman told me 29ers are crap and would never take off. Few months later a slower friend bought a 29er and I could not keep up. Spent over R8000 on wheels and other upgrades to get it faster. Eventually sold it for R6000 after 2 years of suffering. R6000 school fee.

So mine, tubular Dura ace 50mm rims. Just not practical, unless you ride for a pro team ... Expensive lesson.

unless you are an extreme sports fanatic or a teenager - they are pretty useless. I used one (not mine) for berg and bush once - while it was lekker fun..I was certainly glad I hadn't coughed up cash for it

time for THAT video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPwK5fN4Qfg

That's hillarious ⛷????????????

Powertap Joule GPS+. Though the powermeter are brilliant the computer is not!

Two things I really regret. The first was selling my 1988 Colnago Master in around 1996. The second was selling my Colnago Tecnos around 2001. Would love to still have those bikes. For the rest of the bikes I've had, meh.