[Event] 2017 Cape Town Cycle Tour - Argus

Bianchisti

The fact that most of people in my start group could not wait to get out the shute with faces of relieve supports the decision to cancel, i really was not in mood to crash today and the unfortunately fact is there would have been many today..

There always next year, rather sulking at home, ready to ride tomorrow than sulking, broken in hospital

Edited by Karman de Lange

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Or smashing the trails at Conties on the MTB ... wind was unbelievable at the top of the hill.

The fact that most of people in my start group could not wait to get out the shute with faces of relieve supports the decision to cancel, i really was not in mood to crash today and the unfortunately fact is there would have been many today..

There always next year, rather sulking at home, ready to ride tomorrow than sulking broken in hospital

I think for the foreseeable future we will stay with the MTB races. At least they don't get cancelled when conditions gets tough. :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

Well, W2W day 3 has been cancelled due to terrible weather.

My mom drove me all the way to Worcester for a mtb race that was cancelled as well once (donkie jare terug)

NZ Enduro was cancelled this weekend as well.

Kind of the same thing the protesters are doing hey.. "I Demand" :-)

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

exactly.

Earlier warnings

Money back

Guaranteed entries

Alternative starts

Plans from B to Z

Control over the weather

A whole city disrupted for a full weekend for all the plans

Not much, just your basic clairvoyance & omnipotency requirements [emoji23]

Or basic services, place to stay and safety of a whole city and visitors?

Context much?

Kind of the same thing the protesters are doing hey.. "I Demand" :-)

Far from the same type of demands of course:

Addressing the harshness and tough stuff like poverty and socio-economic challenges etc vs 'incidental costs for my sporting hobby'

????'

Then again, you might be joking

Edited by 'Dale

all i see is the destruction of the things that made me proud to be a south african...in this case, a bike race that is part of the social fabric of cape town...replaced by chaos and violence and lawlessness and destruction of property that achieves NOTHING constructive...

what a crying shame.  i am so very sorry for all you guys and girls that made all the effort to train, enter and get to cape town.   

Well, we made most of our day: hiked up Lion's head, also a first experience, chatted with some other disappointed cyclists, had lunch and drinks at the Waterfront, and are relaxing at our flat now.

I am still very very gutted to have missed it but I don't see it as a waste of money or time. I love CPT and I love being here. We're still enjoying our holiday, we're healthy and we have a home to go to. Count your blessings.

2 years ago, I didn't think I'd be back here already. So who knows what will happen....

There always next year, rather sulking at home, ready to ride tomorrow than sulking, broken in hospital

True.. people did not hessitate 1 sec to get the heck out of there and to safety. I love cycling and it cost me quite a bit of money to be here (would have been my first) but I do not feel like spending time in Hospital thanx.

all i see is the destruction of the things that made me proud to be a south african...in this case, a bike race that is part of the social fabric of cape town...replaced by chaos and violence and lawlessness and destruction of property that achieves NOTHING constructive...

what a crying shame. i am so very sorry for all you guys and girls that made all the effort to train, enter and get to cape town.

Well I have Maluti coming, so my training was not in vane.. although quite a bit of money lost ( but I get a nice little holiday out of it ). Thing is, even if they knew about protests, and they most probably did, what do you do? Call In The Army? Riot Police? I'm sorry, but even if they had tanks there to "protect" us, I would still not feel save riding past the protesters.

exactly.

Earlier warnings

Money back

Guaranteed entries

Alternative starts

Plans from B to Z

Control over the weather

A whole city disrupted for a full weekend for all the plans

Not much, just your basic clairvoyance & omnipotency requirements [emoji23]

Or basic services, place to stay and safety of a whole city and visitors?

Context much?

Yup. They could change the date to accomodate weather a bit ( but then the whole season gets shoveled around ).

They could change it to Sat and have Sun as alternative ( but that would mean making sure the roads, authorities and infrastructure are sorted for two days). What would that do to entry prices, cost to the city and sanity of locals?

Money Back? Who carries the cost of already paid for services?

Maybe the only thing slightly viable is preferential entry and a slight discount for next year..

The rest they simply cannot control and its part of life in SA.

Cape Town Locals !! Im here till Wednesday.. Where and what times can I do a nice ride or two.. I'm 3km from the start so bear that in mind. It looks like wind will only really subside on Tuesday morning.

What is Suikerbossie and Chappies like on weekdays. Or which other rides can be done on weekdays and which times is best to do em.

From Greenpoint-ish the CTCT route backwards (and back) is a cheap thrill. Once you are outside Camps Bay traffic is not an issue anymore as the shoulder is broad. Turn around top of Chappies, or if you feel like climbing the Noordhoek side of Chappies go down into Noordhoek for coffee at the deli at the Farm Village. Chappies tolls cars so little traffic.

You'll want to be very careful down from the top of Suikerbos into Camps Bay if it is windy, as the winds down the gullies are very gusty, and combined with the snaking of the road it can be quite scary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Allot of people wanted to, and was also capable to do it.

These 4 chose to ignore the instructions of the marshals / race organizers.

If they were part of the race, they should be treated the same way as people breaking the Tour's rules ( riding twice with now second entry for example) and be disqualified from future Tours...

You serious?

From Greenpoint-ish the CTCT route backwards (and back) is a cheap thrill. Once you are outside Camps Bay traffic is not an issue anymore as the shoulder is broad. Turn around top of Chappies, or if you feel like climbing the Noordhoek side of Chappies go down into Noordhoek for coffee at the deli at the Farm Village. Chappies tolls cars so little traffic.

You'll want to be very careful down from the top of Suikerbos into Camps Bay if it is windy, as the winds down the gullies are very gusty, and combined with the snaking of the road it can be quite scary.

Was checking it out and it looks like we might do the following..

From Greenpoint do the reverse up Suikerbossie and Chappies then through Noordhoek to Blackhill/Simonstown ( I want to visit the Navy Museum so we wil coffee/lunch somewhere there.. ) And then just come back the same way.

Wind looks dead quiet for around 09:00

.160eaadb7b6d280671f734f7fefac0eb.jpg

Edited by PietSw

Low Q pic that.. but its around 3kph over the peninsula

Perceptions of Johnny Foreigner ...... that's me.

I live overseas and am one of those who travelled a stupidly long way to take part in the race, and would probably be classified as a late finisher around the 4h 30min mark judging by last year, which was then my only time taking part.

FWIW this is what it has cost me approximately;

1,150 entry fee

30,480 air fares

9,405 hotel bill

1,900 car hire

800 transfers etc

2,000 Food & drink

Total 45,700 ZAR approx

Do I want my money back ? - No, none of it. But do I want an entry for next year - absolutely. And will I enter again ? Yes but begrudgingly and never again if I have to go in the public ballot. If I didn't get in next year I wouldn't enter again as there are better organised and more reasonable T&C's for other big events. And that's just shy of 50,000ZAR which the country would never see.

Until now I had sung the praises of the event with my cycling colleagues encouraging them to attend and so far one did - this year and boy will she be annoyed when I see her.

Would I recommend the race to others - yes, but with heavy health warnings about it becoming politically susceptible to protestors, with it being started in a stupid place and with it being at the wrong time of year. Most people, especially western softy European types like me will not want to be anywhere near a political protest in South Africa so you'll lose a lot of good will if those are not resolved.

I cannot judge whether it was the weather or other reasons that caused the cancellation as I understand none of the politics here, and barely some of the locations quoted. What I can do is tell you how the people spending the most money to get into the country feel about their treatment. Nobody wants to ride outside their capabilities so the cancellation brought some small relief given it was going to be a very long day otherwise. What I didn't like, regardless of the Terms and Cinditions was the brusque attitude to taking the money and run, without even considering deferrals. To me that says the bottom line is the only thing that matters to the organisers. Their reputation is trashed in my view, even if the event isn't. In Europe or the USA a class action suit would have been under way by now as the organisers knew the problems of the start line, and clearly had no contingency for much else. The weather is uncontrollable which is why major events take out insurance - which this event appears to not, given weather is almost guaranteed to cause some issues judging by people's comments.

And as to the luvvies trying to stop people complaining because of the terrible fire, the two events are utterly unrelated. Those affected need help and need it quickly - irrespective of the weather and whether the race was running or not.

Finally I just checked the T&C's of the London Prudential RideLondon 100 - cancellation by the organisers results in a fee refund in total. That's what a professional organisation does - it takes out insurance.

If the CTCC want to remain a Premier level event they are going to have to do things a little differently in my opinion because lots of travellers are going to give the CTCC a good hard look next time rather than just jumping in.

Was checking it out and it looks like we might do the following..

From Greenpoint do the reverse up Suikerbossie and Chappies then through Noordhoek to Blackhill/Simonstown ( I want to visit the Navy Museum so we wil coffee/lunch somewhere there.. ) And then just come back the same way.

Wind looks dead quiet for around 09:00

.160eaadb7b6d280671f734f7fefac0eb.jpg

Good plan. I you dislike uphill more than traffic you can hang left at Fish Hoek/Black Hill/Kommetjie intersection and go via Fish Hoek, skipping Black Hill.