The Home Improvement Thread

dev  null

If you use the "new white pipe" really cant remember what they call it.

Just remember it needs a insert inside the pipe before using a connector.

It will leak without the insert.

Cobra PEX if I am thinking about the same thing. The COBRA brand is layered(3 I think) and has aluminium in the middle layer. You do also get a cheaper brand from builders but not sure how good it is. Cobra PEX is brilliant as long as that little insert is in and the brass sleeve on the outside and you make the joints TIGHT.

post-58906-0-97807800-1472111884.jpg

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so we have a thermo solar panel and geyser. In summer we never have geyser on but autumn spring it gets touch and go and a cold shower for wife does not go down well.

Are those monitors/switches worth it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, so we have a thermo solar panel and geyser. In summer we never have geyser on but autumn spring it gets touch and go and a cold shower for wife does not go down well.

Are those monitors/switches worth it?

In short, yes.

absolutely. I have geyser wise as well. Such a pleasure to adjust the temp and times when it should go on an off.

We also switch it off on summer as the solar panels do more than enough to heat the water.

Get some of that new white pipe that replaces the copper pipe and an elbow. Then connect to your overflow and lead to the drain.

That's what I'm going to be doing. As soon as I saw it, it was in for replacement. 

It also gives a running total of the hours your element has been running for.

There are two options - one that controls the geyser and one that controls the flow of water in and out the geyser to the solar collectors.

Depending on the system one has, there's a controller for each.

We recently moved into a new place and I have a lot of work to do.

Gerald, in another thread somewhere you mentioned you used a Landscaper to a low maintenance setup for you.

Do you still have their details? Alberton based?

Nice Thread and I have a question. 

We has this single layer, staggered brick wall separating us from the neighbors. It has barb wire on the top and some thick creeper growing along that made a nice screen as we are slightly lower than the neighbors. Eventually the barbwire fell of and brought the creeper with it (this was when we have a few thunderstorms and bad winds). 

the wall is now really bear and we are rather exposed that side. I wasn't to put something up to act a screen. What could I use that is cost effective and relatively immediate. Was thinking of planting a row of trees/shrubs but not sure that would look good and would take long for the trees/bushes to form a screen. Also the lawn section is rather narrow so don't want to take too much away from the lawn.

Was also thinking some wooden sections but too much maintenance and expensive.

I have attached a pic where you can see the wall in the background and past the lonely tree is the very bare wall. Just ignore the bike in the picture  :D

Have a look at www.ufcc.co.za

We recently moved into a new place and I have a lot of work to do.

Gerald, in another thread somewhere you mentioned you used a Landscaper to a low maintenance setup for you.

Do you still have their details? Alberton based?

I used Mark Edward Landscape

Ask for Mark or Sue.

I see their website is no more.

• 2 weeks later...

Got some good things here and will be doing the following...or rather adding to the list of things to do:

1) Geyser timer, blanket and pipe insulation - Aiming for the end of this month

2) Privacy by adding something on top of the brick wall. I saw a house that had palisade fence on top of the wall (security) and then wooden slabs in between the gaps of the fencing for privacy. It looked awesome and would like to do that - need costing and maybe look at this later in the year.

3) Oil Lapa - Linseed oil/Woodoc 30/35 - In the next month or two.

Right, with the water restrictions, what do you do for water conservation. immediately a jojo tank comes to mind but rather pricey for me at this point. Re-directing down pipes to other areas of the house and to top up the pool. I saw this pic and thought it would be a cheap workaround:

post-57045-0-26793500-1473247029_thumb.jpg

Got some good things here and will be doing the following...or rather adding to the list of things to do:

2) Privacy by adding something on top of the brick wall. I saw a house that had palisade fence on top of the wall (security) and then wooden slabs in between the gaps of the fencing for privacy. It looked awesome and would like to do that - need costing and maybe look at this later in the year.

Right, with the water restrictions, what do you do for water conservation. immediately a jojo tank comes to mind but rather pricey for me at this point. Re-directing down pipes to other areas of the house and to top up the pool. I saw this pic and thought it would be a cheap workaround:

attachicon.gifwater-2.jpg

I have a similar setup to harvest rain water to my pool. But I've built a little settling tank, and only the overflow goes to the pool. The amount of dust and debris that comes off the roof with each rain shower is astounding! (they burn cane down here quite frequently...). I'd suggest some sort of filter/gravity settler otherwise your pool will be filthy in no time. Oh, and the rain water does a proper job of buggering the pH up, so keep an eye on that.

attachicon.gifwater-2.jpg

While I agree, It's a good idea. The only problem I have is, You are watering your garden while its raining? and all you really doing is moving the exit point of the gutter. Also would love to add a jojo but cash is a bit short at the moment, Had to buy a new set of LOOK KEO carbon blade 2 pedals last month :whistling:

EDIT: I see all those pipes go to the pool but I have seen some people with a similar setup where they drill plenty holes in the pipe and it waters the garden.

Edited by Long Wheel Base

I have a similar setup to harvest rain water to my pool. But I've built a little settling tank, and only the overflow goes to the pool. The amount of dust and debris that comes off the roof with each rain shower is astounding! (they burn cane down here quite frequently...). I'd suggest some sort of filter/gravity settler otherwise your pool will be filthy in no time. Oh, and the rain water does a proper job of buggering the pH up, so keep an eye on that.

Urrrmm...never thought of it making the pool dirty. Good point that cos then you spent more money on chemicals and running the pool longer to get it clean again which cancels out the saving.

While I agree, It's a good idea. The only problem I have is, You are watering your garden while its raining? and all you really doing is moving the exit point of the gutter. Also would love to add a jojo but cash is a bit short at the moment, Had to buy a new set of LOOK KEO carbon blade 2 pedals last month :whistling:

EDIT: I see all those pipes go to the pool but I have seen some people with a similar setup where they drill plenty holes in the pipe and it waters the garden.

Agree. you just moving the water around really and when it rains the garden gets water and the pool start to fill. That is why I think a jojo is prime so you have water when there is no rain for a while saving on using the municipal water. I too have no money at the moment...had a few priorities...new MTB tyres...lol

When I was a lightie I remember there was a craze where you filled up a 2 litre bottle with water, tightened the lid and then just slightly loosened it. Put the bottle in your garden and it slowly leaked water. I am talking probably 20 years ago. My folks tried it. The had 2 staffie's, It didn't work as the dogs just played with the bottles destroying them and dumping 2 litres of water in one spot at once.

• 2 months later...

has anyone done the exposed aggregate concrete and what sort of costs is it? I have emailed two places and just waiting for a response. Am looking at replacing a large amount of grass in front of the house.