SARS & eFiling - What gives?!

Johan A Marais

I was also klapped last year for a return that I was never required to do. It was my first year working and I fell beneath the threshold to submit a return (sad, I know). I even got a nice letter from SARS telling me I didn't have to submit a return.

Anyhow, last year's payment was also in limbo, until I queried it and they told me that they require the return. Did it and got my money.

The lack of communication is what irks me most. You're always left wondering WTF is actually going on.

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did my return a few weeks ago. Simple RA and Medical Aid. Nothing fancy. Submitted additional medical claims. Documents for verification were required so I sent those. Notice of assesment as well as a statemeny of account were sent. Waited for payment but nothing came.... got a second statement of account showing that I owed them.....?!? Turns out that they had a second look at my medicals and rejected some stuff that I claimed for... I queried it and a nice chap explained that I can only claim for meds that were prescribed by a doctor and not paid by medical aid. I claimed for self medication.

Was paid out a few days later.

Last year my refund was held back. When I asked why I was told that my 2007return was not on record despite me submitting manually twice( in the days before e-filing).

It took me a week to find all the documents, redo on e-filing and submit documents. Payment then took another week.

This year I did my efiling. Next day I was notified that I needed to submitmy supporting documents. Within two days of submitting my documents my refund was paid out.

It was not large enough to cause SARS current cashflow crisis so I can't beheld responsible for your delays.

Edited by I FLY

I have the same issue. They want my 2006 return as it shows outstanding. I only registered in 2007 and have completed all returns since(also very straightforward) and received all pay-outs since then.

The company I worked for in 2006 doesn't exist anymore and I don't have docs from then, was earning peanuts and below tax threshold.

Anybody in the know?

I had a very similar thing. Had to go get a police affidavit saying the company had closed etc. then went in physically and got asked a few questions and thumb sucked a figure for how much I earned that year.

I have the same issue. They want my 2006 return as it shows outstanding. I only registered in 2007 and have completed all returns since(also very straightforward) and received all pay-outs since then.

The company I worked for in 2006 doesn't exist anymore and I don't have docs from then, was earning peanuts and below tax threshold.

Anybody in the know?

Just create the return and click submit. done.

Same problem here !

due a rebate for 2016 and phoned to query reason for the delay told that I haven't submitted for 2013 when I went in to the branch to submit.

now need an affidavit and all the documents so that I can resubmit for 2013.

urgggghhhhhh !!

Just create the return and click submit. done.

Without filling in any info regarding earnings etc.? No IRP5 info from the company on there either. Or am I being doff.

Without filling in any info regarding earnings etc.? No IRP5 info from the company on there either. Or am I being doff.

That's what I did for my old ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm also waiting for feedback, currently being auditted, audit to be completed around the first week on next month...

Eish, this is ridiculous....

Submitted my return, submitted supporting docs, received completion letter and NO refund... only to find out (after calling them) I need to go into a branch for an audit...  :cursing:

They clearly not keen on paying anyone without verification!

Just finished my 5 hour stint at SARS, for a 10 minute process at the counter. :cursing:

Sounds like this is SARS's version of enforcing FICA, and that everyone will go through the process, and NO, THEY DO NOT INFORM YOU ABOUT IT, you get told when you phone to find out why your refund is taking so long. And after you handed in all your supporting documents, it can take up to 60 days for the refund to happen.

I SMELL A BIG FAT, SMELLY RAT!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

it can take up to 60 days for the refund to happen.

Professional experience informs the following statement:

Don't hold your breath.

You guys are really making me worry.  I have completed my last tax return but in it is a rather healthy (in my opinion) return.  SARS is currently auditing it.  Should they want me to come and verify the docs in Person then I am pretty screwed sitting here in Europe.

i did all mine online and on the phone,

if there is nothing dodgy it is straight forward.

You guys are really making me worry.  I have completed my last tax return but in it is a rather healthy (in my opinion) return.  SARS is currently auditing it.  Should they want me to come and verify the docs in Person then I am pretty screwed sitting here in Europe.