SARS & eFiling - What gives?!

Johan A Marais

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 weeks later ....still waiting...donner

I submit a pile of medicals...so some nitpicker is obviously going through them all with a fine tooth comb...probably lexx

I am going to scan all my docs and go take a number and sit in the queue to see a SARS tax consultant and let them do it for me. Maybe I'll get passed over for audit this year.....

I am going to scan all my docs and go take a number and sit in the queue to see a SARS tax consultant and let them do it for me. Maybe I'll get passed over for audit this year.....

One of my colleagues was in the queue yesterday at 6:30 am. She got out at 2:30.

You can check the queue size at any particular branch on the SARS website. Just check it out before you go or take a day's leave.

Edited by Eugene

One of my colleagues was in the queue yesterday at 6:30 am. She got out at 2:30.

You can check the queue size at any particular branch on the SARS website. Just check it out before you go or take a day's leave.

One of my colleagues went to the Durban branch yesterday. He was in and out within 45 minutes[emoji106]

I submit a pile of medicals...so some nitpicker is obviously going through them all with a fine tooth comb...probably lexx

Off course. Ha ha.

A pile of medicals..... see running comrades is not good for you

Running a family less so!.. Bit Yes there were lots of physio invoices!

Running a family less so!.. Bit Yes there were lots of physio invoices!

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question.

My wife lost her job in 2015, and was unemployed for a few months during this return period. When she found employment again, it was under the tax threshold. But during this whole period, I paid money into her account so that her medical aid contributions (it's on her name) and Annuity payments stayed up to date.

When we filed her return, we got the directive that she owes nothing, and nothing is owed to her, even though there were medical expenses and the annuity payments were made.

Querying this, we were told it is because she is below the tax threshold. Can this be right?

Quick question.

My wife lost her job in 2015, and was unemployed for a few months during this return period. When she found employment again, it was under the tax threshold. But during this whole period, I paid money into her account so that her medical aid contributions (it's on her name) and Annuity payments stayed up to date.

When we filed her return, we got the directive that she owes nothing, and nothing is owed to her, even though there were medical expenses and the annuity payments were made.

Querying this, we were told it is because she is below the tax threshold. Can this be right?

If she did not pay any Tax , then she can not get a refund.

You only get rebate/refunds on tax paid.

R0 - Rebate = R0 Tax paid.

Otherwise if you do not pay tax and get a refund they are paying you. That is supposed to be UIF.

Showing my ignorance regarding this, but for every paycheck she did receive, there was P.A.Y.E deductions. Is this not her tax contribution?

Showing my ignorance regarding this, but for every paycheck she did receive, there was P.A.Y.E deductions. Is this not her tax contribution?

Yes, her PAYE deduction is her tax contribution. 

If she had tax deducted then she couldn't have been under the threshold.

Unless the months she was employed and contributing were in a different tax year?

Not quite. Most companies payroll is setup that you pay PAYE on the assumption that you will receive that salary for 12 months of the tax year. If you then only work 4 months in that tax year, the payroll system would have, in all likelyhood deducted 4 months worth of PAYE.

Come end of the tax year, you could be below the threshold and still have contributed PAYE. You can get this back from SARS, because as previously stated, that PAYE was deducted on the assumption that your monthly salary could be annualized for the full tax year.