Any Point buying a 26er

matteox

Hi There 

Wanted to know if there was any point in buying a 26er for recreational use , some road and mountain . I am not planning on winning the Epic .  I am 1.86m tall and 110kg  , 49 years young ......not that fit , but looking at getting back in the saddle after a 15 year hibernation .

Would buying a 2nd hand 26er be throwing money away ?

thanks guys , can do with some advise 

Matteox 

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yes, you can pick up a well spec'd 26er for cheap these days.

some of them you can sucessfully convert to 27.5/650b which is perfect for a low cost build.

I don't think it will be throwing money away. It will allow you to get a decently specced bike without breaking the bank.

I still regret selling my merida 96 26er...

At 1pm today I would have said no.

But.....

I went and rode a new trail this arvie. Recently opened to the public.

After overshooting my 20th switchback on my 29er.

I really would gave enjoyed a 26" mtb.

Bottom line Mate. Ride what you want. It is your bike, you have to ride it. Stuff the rest.

Enjoy!

My wife rides a 26" One Twenty and she loves it, I tried to get her onto a newer 27.5 and she refuses to part with her trusty steed. As long as you don't overpay for a 26" I can't see why you won't enjoy your ride. A lot of downhill riders are still on 26ers.

T

Still regret selling my Trance 26. I for one, certainly don't think you are wasting your money.

You are riding a bike after all. Enjoy it and smell the roses.

Welcome back in the saddle, so to speak. Given your long absence from riding and on your info regarding height, age and weight etc, ideally a 29r hardtail (in broad terms) would probably be better suited to what you want to do. 

Comparatively you're just as or more likely to find a newer/comparable 29r bike as opposed to a 26r. It's been a few years since the 'hype' so there are a few good deals out there, even new. 

Also there is a larger range of choices available as well as availability for spares like tyres and rims. Plus on the off chance you decide that it's not for you, it's far easier to resell. 

Either way, have fun and best of luck ....  :thumbup:

What kind of riding do you want to do. Here are some great reasons to buy a 26".

They are way way cheaper and that is because most were fooled by marketers been told that the 29er has made them redundant. You are not gunning for podium I take it. Also at your weight the 26" wheel will take more punishment, physics. A 26" will also teach you better handling skills as you can't just roll over everything.

I'm inclined to agree with DD but that's purely because j ride a 29er.

You can pick up a 29er for a good price just look around a bit however you can find a better speced 26er for probably the same money, it all depends on you.

One of the trails I ride I sometimes think of getting a 26er.

I am on a 26". Because I can't afford a new upgrade to 29". You won't throw away money. It has become slightly challenging to get parts for 26" wheels so be sure to get something (wheelset) that is a weight carrier so it doesn't need replacement.

Rolling resistance is overrated any way. Do I get dropped like a turd during a race by the 29" guys? Yes, I do. Am I unfit and not riding as much as I want to? Most definitely.

Do I enjoy riding MY bike and pushing myself to what I am capable? You bet ya.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

i had my ass whipped by a timer on a 26er with v-brakes up a climb in the Burger Mtb.

my wife rides a 26er at i prefer riding her bike at nixon bike park

. A 26" will also teach you better handling skills as you can't just roll over everything.

But then if you can just roll over everything why would you need handling skills?  :ph34r:

But in seriousness. As the others said, if you can get it for cheap why not? If you are planning to spend serious money, no.

I was pretty happy when I upgraded to a 29er. It just felt better and more fun to me. That being said riding in general has improved my life and mood, so I'm going to say get what you can and just have fun, I don't reckon getting a bike is ever throwing money away. Plus if you can get it really cheap you could always keep it and get a 29er aswell. Maybe, if possible, see if you can ride a 29er for a week and then a 26er (or vice versa) just to get an idea if one feels better and more fun. The possibilty to upgrade to 650b would be a bonus.