[Event] The Bestmed Satellite Classic

Events Bot

Hard day out in AL break. Punctured at one of the roadworks sections and had to solo home. Road surface was terrible. Traffic on route was terrible.

Less participants than previous years from my perspective.

Kudos to the guy in the AL break on his momsen mtb with nobblies. 39k/h average on that thing. I was stumped. He should win the event on a road bike.

Edited by W@nted

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to say "Enter the Carnival City Macsteel" events, MTB, Road or a Trail Run, but there's a problem with online entries this weekend - at least until Cycle Events get back to the office on Monday.

We rode the route again today, and there's hardly a bad patch of road. Lots of sections with smooth tar. Sure, we don't have Hekpoort, but we do have better roads, marshals on every intersection, full road closure on the final 15Km, beer on tap at the finish, or gin if you fancy that and a host of other stuff.

Nope.  Raced it for a couple of years, but they keep moving the venue further and further away.  Bekker School was the last straw for me.  And despite me be ridden off at Hekpoort every year, it was "special" enough for me to return to the race.  Now with Hekpoort less of a feature in the finale, I see no reason to ride

Pity....

I used to love the Telkom Satelite.There was another race during the year that started and finished at the school.I quite enjoyed doing Hekpoort early on for a change

Hard day out in AL break. Punctured at one of the roadworks sections and had to solo home. Road surface was terrible. Traffic on route was terrible.

Kudos to the guy in the AL break on his momsen mtb with nobblies. 39k/h average on that thing. I was stumped. He should win the event on a road bike.

Was also in AL, got dropped on hekpoort, worked with reminants of Al until a breakaway BL caught us.

Only one bad section of road works being the first one, there had been emails and announcements and the rest of the road works there was a central part of road which was fine to ride. Signage on the road and marshalls at these points, so i was prepared for them, so had no incidents

Numbers did seem down, will put that down to the start being much further out.

A hard day out as always

Can I ask where the bad road surface was? I should be out that way soon and would appreciate a heads up...

Was also in AL, got dropped on hekpoort, worked with reminants of Al until a breakaway BL caught us.

Only one bad section of road works being the first one, there had been emails and announcements and the rest of the road works there was a central part of road which was fine to ride. Signage on the road and marshalls at these points, so i was prepared for them, so had no incidents

A hard day out as always

Can I ask where the bad road surface was? I should be out that way soon and would appreciate a heads up...

On the R560, heading towards the R24, after the Hekpoort turning i think.... was focused on the racing and hanging on, rather than landmarks!

Edited by shaper

A hard day out as always

Agreed. Marshalls were great, especially at the road works sections. Communications were good before the race. I am just a bit sour due to my puncture. ????

I still enjoyed the sufferfest????

As shaper said, heading towards the r24 the roadworks started

Shot man. It was tough on the MTB but good fun. Sorry about the bad luck.

Shot man. It was tough on the MTB but good fun. Sorry about the bad luck.

Thanks. Well done, super effort!

To me its better with the climb st the begining of the race. In general a smaller bunch riding from Harties to Magalies. That road is dangerous. I like the school start. Right next to Blackhorse brewery. Well organised and a good race. Hope more people enter. Marshalls good and only one dirty track piece otherwise middle of road had tar. Road Angels were very good helping cars overtake safely. Big thanks to them!

1st time doing the race and really enjoyed it. No issues for me regarding Marshall's etc. Was away in the 9 man AL break. Thought I was going to cramp in the last 20km but luckily they stayed away. Timo Cooper you are a machine on your mtb.not shying away and doing your fair share of work. Did you have a 38 up front I wonder??

1st time doing the race and really enjoyed it. No issues for me regarding Marshall's etc. Was away in the 9 man AL break. Thought I was going to cramp in the last 20km but luckily they stayed away. Timo Cooper you are a machine on your mtb.not shying away and doing your fair share of work. Did you have a 38 up front I wonder??

Well done! I forgot how much harder it is in a break! I must say, my legs were shattered when I had to get going after fixing my flat after 85km in the break. So that is 3 hubbers so far in the AL break????????????.

Again well done Timo!

To me its better with the climb st the begining of the race. In general a smaller bunch riding from Harties to Magalies. That road is dangerous. I like the school start. Right next to Blackhorse brewery. Well organised and a good race. Hope more people enter. Marshalls good and only one dirty track piece otherwise middle of road had tar. Road Angels were very good helping cars overtake safely. Big thanks to them!

Agreed. I also prefer the climb in the beginning of the race. Smaller groups are safer on the narrow roads. Our only traffic jam was after we turned left towards magalies park (after crossing the dam). There were cars stuck behind the ladies bunch, so we had to weave past the cars and oncoming traffic to pass the ladies.

Agreed. I also prefer the climb in the beginning of the race. Smaller groups are safer on the narrow roads. Our only traffic jam was after we turned left towards magalies park (after crossing the dam). There were cars stuck behind the ladies bunch, so we had to weave past the cars and oncoming traffic to pass the ladies.

Also preferred the start at the school. First time doing Hekpoort at the beginning and preferred the thining of the bunches.

What I didn't enjoy....gentleman in the Landrover jersey in AL who threw his gu wrapper out. When my mate asked him why he was littering his reply was "It will make my jersey pocket sticky". 

Apart from the one idiot enjoyed riding with the guys in AL...guys worked well together for the most part

Sjoe...you guys were flying. I Was in the bunch after hekpoort but I just tried to stick to the bunch. legs were wobly after 70km.