Don't try and order SRAM from overseas anymore...

Headshot

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kroner and exchange rate into Rands.

thanks for that interesting observation. Krone ONLY 2.24 times the rand, which means we are not being gouged at the distributor level.

But even a couple of years back when i was still shopping via CRC, there was already price parity on many components. It was only on big ticket stuff that the german retail pricing was absolutely crushing local retail pricing. Even crushed CRCs prices.

Edited by Capricorn

SRAM, Garmin et al however dont really care much, the SA market is minuscule compared to elsewhere. One bicycle store in the states can for example do the same business as the whole of SA.

I often hear about these huge US bikeshops that sell more bikes than our entire country.

Must be really amazing to see.

thanks for that interesting observation. Krone ONLY 2.24 times the rand, which means we are not being gouged at the distributor level.

But even a couple of years back when i was still shopping via CRC, there was already price parity on many components. It was only on big ticket stuff that the german retail pricing was absolutely crushing local retail pricing. Even crushed CRCs prices.

Remember CRC is also a manufacturer so they get rock rock bottom pricing.

I guess everything is relative. SA distributors seem expensive because grey imports are cheaper. The truth (in my opinion) is more that grey imports are cheaper because they're grey and distributor prices are normal.

I'll get my flame suit on :-)

got mine on. Its simply the truth. Grey imports are cutting out elements of the supply chain. 

Some bike "manufacturers" buy more than they actually need to attract bigger  discounts and then sell off their excess stocks. I remember one or two forum members would head over to HEurope once or twice a year to go and secure some containers of bikes parts and then sell those here at rock bottom prices. I'm all for lower prices as it makes it easier to enjoy this hobby but I do like my LBSs quite a lot...

Remember CRC is also a manufacturer so they get rock rock bottom pricing.

Yes CRC  was registered as a manufacturer. Now that they're part of Wiggle I'm not sure if that is still valid. they do still slap their housebrand labels of some parts and frames so likely its still true. Hence their component prices via their on line stores is the same as what your LBS cost price is plus the VAT

got mine on. Its simply the truth. Grey imports are cutting out elements of the supply chain. 

Some bike "manufacturers" buy more than they actually need to attract bigger  discounts and then sell off their excess stocks. I remember one or two forum members would head over to HEurope once or twice a year to go and secure some containers of bikes parts and then sell those here at rock bottom prices. I'm all for lower prices as it makes it easier to enjoy this hobby but I do like my LBSs quite a lot...

Yes CRC  was registered as a manufacturer. Now that they're part of Wiggle I'm not sure if that is still valid. they do still slap their housebrand labels of some parts and frames so likely its still true. Hence their component prices via their on line stores is the same as what your LBS cost price is plus the VAT

For me it is more than a Hobby ... cycle to work and back to earn a living vs driving a car ... so forking out for what feels like over priced spares does hurt.

Granted my "work bike" is a single speed in order to keep the running costs low.

I often hear about these huge US bikeshops that sell more bikes than our entire country.

indeed :ph34r:

I once tried to ship something to an Chinese Aramex global shopper address. Aliexpress does not allow for items to be shipped to an address in China. Did not try it on Wish or Alibaba. But Aliexpress and Aramex global shopper is a no go.

Nope.

I have ordered several items from Chinese Aliexpress sellers and had it shipped to my HONG KONG Aramex address, and then to SA from there. 3 weeks, but no issues.

I havent tried the Aramex Shanghai address.

Some bike "manufacturers" buy more than they actually need to attract bigger discounts and then sell off their excess stocks. I remember one or two forum members would head over to HEurope once or twice a year to go and secure some containers of bikes parts and then sell those here at rock bottom prices. I'm all for lower prices as it makes it easier to enjoy this hobby but I do like my LBSs quite a lot...

Yes CRC was registered as a manufacturer. Now that they're part of Wiggle I'm not sure if that is still valid. they do still slap their housebrand labels of some parts and frames so likely its still true. Hence their component prices via their on line stores is the same as what your LBS cost price is plus the VAT

They do far more than slap their label on anything. They have Vitus bikes, which is getting bigger and bigger as well as Nukeproof, which is also fairly entrenched as a brand. I have met a couple of their designers and there is zero doubt that they are serious manufacturers now. Or sure who owns what any more with the wiggle thing, but CRC is still definitely manufacturing Vitus

They do far more than slap their label on anything. They have Vitus bikes, which is getting bigger and bigger as well as Nukeproof, which is also fairly entrenched as a brand. I have met a couple of their designers and there is zero doubt that they are serious manufacturers now. Or sure who owns what any more with the wiggle thing, but CRC is still definitely manufacturing Vitus

Ya the Vitus thing was quite interesting. Vitus was a french brand that existed in the late 60's through early 90's then they closed up shop. CRC bought the rights to the name but the frames are basically open mould. So a manufacture is maybe a bit of a stretch but certainly a marketer of bike frames and that is enough to be listed as a manufacturer.

Perplexing to observe some of the comparisons of a national/regional market like South Africa to the US and Europe, which are continental markets. 

In many respects SA is held as an important market for a lot of brands, not just because of our lust for high end products (fact). But also because we do have a vibrant and large cycling calendar along with a pretty solid cottage industry of brands and innovations.
Have met with a number of brand and marketing directors as well as fellow media from various parts of the world. They're blown away by much of what we have here, the standard of events and tech knowledge are often mentioned.

If anything there are too many brand imports vying for the same market here. Not many national markets in Europe carrying the spread of brands we do.

Not only US but UK as well. I worked for a guy with two bike shop, one in Notting Hill and other in Kensington. My job was to build bikes, of any value, for the bike shops at his warehouse. Thats all I did.

I could barely keep up. Between the two shops, they sold between 20 and 40 bikes per week average.

Not only US but UK as well. I worked for a guy with two bike shop, one in Notting Hill and other in Kensington. My job was to build bikes, of any value, for the bike shops at his warehouse. Thats all I did.

I could barely keep up. Between the two shops, they sold between 20 and 40 bikes per week average.

I worked for a guy in Bellville who over December or whenever he ran a sale, would get in container loads of cheap bikes and these things sold in big numbers .... inevitably the higher end bikes also sold very well over this period too .... and that was about 1997, so things can only be better now for sales locally.

Edit ... the mechanics would work overtime like nobody's business to keep up with demand.

Edited by Hairy

I popped into a large bike shop in Spain a few weeks ago, and they sold Trek, Specialized, Giant, Cannondale, Orbea. They had a full range of mtb, road, city, you name it, in all sizes, colours and specs there on the floor. 

It was a nice shop - they had aircon, and new shoes for me!