The 2017 Absa Cape Epic route: from whales to trails

News bot

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bottom line, if it was affordable everyone would praise this event, people pay to be amazed. Tough to amaze people by not increasing the distance and elevation every year, also if you are running out of fresh single track

Not sure where the tech bits are, but atleast you tried.

Like V12 said, nauseating video to watch.

Perhaps you would be kind enough to share some video of what you think is technical riding in a xcm.

Not sure where the tech bits are, but atleast you tried.

Like V12 said, nauseating video to watch.

I know I'm not going to change your opinion, and that you're having a great time trolling all the Epic fans...

But, have you ridden the old wagon trail over the Witzenberg mountain (that's the bit in the video). I'm not ashamed to say that I left a bit of a poo streak down that bit of single track in 2013.

How do you break a wheel like that on 700kms of dirt roads?

post-275-0-44691600-1475741088_thumb.jpg

Kristian Hynek - what a roadie - can't even ride on gravel without falling over.

post-275-0-93386800-1475741134_thumb.jpg

Local rider Andy Davies falling himself into hospital with a serious knee injury. Was in 20th place at the time.

post-275-0-76970800-1475741139_thumb.jpg

Edited by Velouria

I'm just trolling y'all.

Like I said, I have a lot of respect for those who can finish an Epic. It's not my preferred type of riding, but it caters perfectly to the marathon market in SA.

I know I'm not going to change your opinion, and that you're having a great time trolling all the Epic fans...

But, have you ridden the old wagon trail over the Witzenberg mountain (that's the bit in the video). I'm not ashamed to say that I left a bit of a poo streak down that bit of single track in 2013.

How do you break a wheel like that on 700kms of dirt roads?

attachicon.gifACE15_STG5_SC_M74A8124.jpg

Kristian Hynek - what a roadie - can't even ride on gravel without falling over.

attachicon.gifACE16_Stage03_NM_7417-810x540.jpg

Local rider Andy Davies falling himself into hospital with a serious knee injury. Was in 20th place at the time.

attachicon.gifIMG-20160315-WA0000.jpg

that last pic is the Widowmaker at Hoogekraal. The rock just below the top step is gone now, making it a bit more challenging,so Andy must rather stay away this year...

And how many times have you ridden it that you can make this assessment?

TransBaviaans is a roadie race - Epic is not - it's always full because it is a challenge - more of a challenge than any other mtb race in SA - from every aspect - distance, technical etc, and it is unforgiving - 1 mistake of any type can end your race.

So sure - some roadies do ride it - many of them drop out pretty quickly - as do many mtbers....

Perhaps ask some others for their opinions - try JCZA...  ask him about day 2 this year... there is a little decent he commented on to me...

edit - got the day wrong - day 2 - the segment on strava is called "extreme speed" - let me know how it goes when you ride it :)   (PS - you have to ride it both up and down)

No...

I still think the Freedom Challenge is far harder to 'race'.

The Epic is really not that difficult. Massages and hot food and sleep.... you don't have to carry anything...

I find stage racing (Epic, Lesotho Sky, Pioneer etc) an absolute holiday. You ride for 5 to 7 hours, then get fed, shower, rubbed down. You chat to your family, have a beer.... 

Try riding 22 hours a day for 12 days? With a pack on, in snow.

MTB races it is certainly 'up there' but it definitely is not 'tough'.

No...

The Epic is really not that difficult. Massages and hot food and sleep.... you don't have to carry anything...

I find stage racing (Epic, Lesotho Sky, Pioneer etc) an absolute holiday. You ride for 5 to 7 hours, then get fed, shower, rubbed down. You chat to your family, have a beer.... 

Nice!!  And I thought it was Thursday today.

I'm just trolling y'all.

Like I said, I have a lot of respect for those who can finish an Epic. It's not my preferred type of riding, but it caters perfectly to the marathon market in SA.

With regards this.... I have ridden the widowmaker (quite fast) on a CX bike. I have also fallen on gravel roads and slashed up by arms and legs due to trying to eat/drink at speed.

I have also broken a wheel riding down a tar road....

Showing accidents and and injuries does not prove anything.

The thing is, there will be haters and there will be those who love it.

The murky part is when races and the fanboys and girls make outrageous claims.

I think the Epic is rad and has it's place. Along with all types of bike riding. But making silly dramatic claims that are opinion to sell/big up/substantiate your position is just ridiculous.

I am in a bad mood today. Please excuse me... (shows himself out quietly)

No...

Of course - you can ride faster and just do 5 hours a day...... that seems like a better idea to me than racing the FC - treating it as a bit of a tour more than a race.

My brother in law has a blanket - so I have a very good idea what the FC takes, aside from a very accommodating wife/partner, and one day I will give it a go - might need to tranquilize the wife first before telling her..... and for a long time afterwards....

No...

I will only believe anything is tough if Die MUISHOND agrees...

No...

I would suggest that you are one of the exceptions to the norm. For most of us, the freedom ride type of event is something that we talk about around the braai but is not something that we will actually ever do, normally because of priorities being more aligned to family, work, time etc.

For us, the stage race environment provides an opportunity to get out and test ourselves whilst still addressing life outside and the fact that we get to sleep on a mattress and eat a Lekker meal each evening does not make us feel that it was not a "proper" experience.

I would imagine that you might say that people who have climbed Everest are not "proper" climbers because they did not spend days hanging off cliff faces and may have been guided.