The 2017 Absa Cape Epic route: from whales to trails

News bot

I know I'm not going to change your opinion, and that you're having a great time trolling all the Epic fans...

But, have you ridden the old wagon trail over the Witzenberg mountain (that's the bit in the video). I'm not ashamed to say that I left a bit of a poo streak down that bit of single track in 2013.

How do you break a wheel like that on 700kms of dirt roads?

attachicon.gifACE15_STG5_SC_M74A8124.jpg

Kristian Hynek - what a roadie - can't even ride on gravel without falling over.

attachicon.gifACE16_Stage03_NM_7417-810x540.jpg

Local rider Andy Davies falling himself into hospital with a serious knee injury. Was in 20th place at the time.

attachicon.gifIMG-20160315-WA0000.jpg

That was Andrew Duvenage, not Andy Davies, 

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

for one or 2 the Epic may be nothing of a challenge, but for the majority it is hell on 2 wheels...i think it is tough...tough enough to make some men cry....

I would suggest that you are one of the exceptions to the norm. For most of us, the freedom ride type of event is something that we talk about around the braai but is not something that we will actually ever do, normally because of priorities being more aligned to family, work, time etc.

For us, the stage race environment provides an opportunity to get out and test ourselves whilst still addressing life outside and the fact that we get to sleep on a mattress and eat a Lekker meal each evening does not make us feel that it was not a "proper" experience.

I would imagine that you might say that people who have climbed Everest are not "proper" climbers because they did not spend days hanging off cliff faces and may have been guided.

for one or 2 the Epic may be nothing of a challenge, but for the majority it is hell on 2 wheels...i think it is tough...tough enough to make some men cry....

hahaha

My point is that both the epic and Everest are tough... but they are NOT the toughest.

Climbing K2 is by far and away more dangerous and difficult than Everest.

So, my point is more, it is not easy but don't say it's the toughest. 

Marketing ploys and opinion being bandied about as fact on a wholly non quantifiable topic is just ridiculous.

So no. If you climbed everest, rad. If you have ridden the Epic... rad! But don't go saying things like 'it's the toughest race...' bla bla bla... a wonderful achievement yes, but meh....

Edited by Jewbacca

hahaha

My point is that both the epic and Everest are tough... but they are NOT the toughest.

Climbing K2 is by far and away more dangerous and difficult than Everest.

So, my point is more, it is not easy but don't say it's the toughest. 

Marketing ploys and opinion being bandied about as fact on a wholly non quantifiable topic is just ridiculous.

So no. If you climbed everest, rad. If you have ridden the Epic... rad! But don't go saying things like 'it's the toughest race...' bla bla bla... a wonderful achievement yes, but meh....

noted and as we have a democratic country where each person is entitled to their own opinion, you are entitled to yours, for the individuals that have done the Epic and even a one day event, that event might have been the toughest event in their lives and in their opinion the world...and as per each persons own feelings and opinions, the word "toughest" is open to interpretation. Heck some mornings have been the toughest for me to get out of bed let alone go climb an Everest.....

So my 2c is, unless you have done an Epic, Pioneer , climbed an Everest or K2, your opinion is exactly the same as all of ours....an opinion...for all the ones that have done the above..Respect...

noted and as we have a democratic country where each person is entitled to their own opinion, you are entitled to yours, for the individuals that have done the Epic and even a one day event, that event might have been the toughest event in their lives and in their opinion the world...and as per each persons own feelings and opinions, the word "toughest" is open to interpretation. Heck some mornings have been the toughest for me to get out of bed let alone go climb an Everest.....

So my 2c is, unless you have done an Epic, Pioneer , climbed an Everest or K2, your opinion is exactly the same as all of ours....an opinion...for all the ones that have done the above..Respect...

I've been lucky enough to ride the Epic, and for me personally it was the "toughest" thing ever done. Sure, the TDF, Freedom Challenge, climbing Everest of K2, swimming naked from Cape town to Antarctica might be tougher. But until I have done those things the Epic will remain the toughest MTB race...

Reading this is like watching a Fees Must Fall protest. 

With the majority of the riders being in the comfortable mid 40's  -  50's, in finance / property etc  and riding alot of Specialized then I doubt the Epic Fees will fall!

That was Andrew Duvenage, not Andy Davies, 

Indeed - couldn't figure out why that was Widowmaker at Hoogekraal, and yet Andy crashed out on Stage two ;)

Done them all..

your post actually kind of proves my point though.

The toughest morning/day YOU'VE had. Yet you likely woke up in a comfy bed with a duvet/blankets under a roof... So the guys born into poverty who woke up with no roof, freezing and ill on the same day probably weren't as comfortable...

Exactly what I was saying. 

Tough for you. Not the toughest.

Perspective is king. Opinion. Yes. But having an opinion and speaking in absolutes is also frowned upon. "You never wash the dishes" from the wife is jus as ridiculous as saying, "bla bla is the toughest race..."

That is my point. I will not argue further.

Finishing Epic is awesome. Finishing Freddom is awesome.. finishing EA is even better.

It is all a point of perspective so stop trying to sell it as an absolute. It is rad.. not the raddest.. because, well, perspective

Done them all..

your post actually kind of proves my point though.

The toughest morning/day YOU'VE had. Yet you likely woke up in a comfy bed with a duvet/blankets under a roof... So the guys born into poverty who woke up with no roof, freezing and ill on the same day probably weren't as comfortable...

Exactly what I was saying. 

Tough for you. Not the toughest.

Perspective is king. Opinion. Yes. But having an opinion and speaking in absolutes is also frowned upon. "You never wash the dishes" from the wife is jus as ridiculous as saying, "bla bla is the toughest race..."

That is my point. I will not argue further.

Finishing Epic is awesome. Finishing Freddom is awesome.. finishing EA is even better.

It is all a point of perspective so stop trying to sell it as an absolute. It is rad.. not the raddest.. because, well, perspective

You have done all the previously mentioned events, wow good for you, however note that tough is a definition interpreted by each individual. It is one thing to have an opinion, but to become personal that is another issue all together, you know nothing about me or where i have come from nor do you know 90% of the hubbers here, it is clear that you are looking for an argument and I suggest we leave it here.... I wish you all the best in your future events and with life itself.....

I think what Jewbacca is alluding to, is the CE marketing team selling this as the toughest mtb event out there.

i know exactly what he is trying to get across, but if the founders or the marketing teams sells it as the toughest and you go and do it and find it not as tough as another event you have done, then you are entitled to your opinion, for another individual this was probably the toughest event ever done and because of this they agree with the marketing teams....It is the toughest mtb event ever....in 5yrs time they might do another event which they find tougher, until then...The Epic remains the toughest they have ever done....I have the utmost respect for "Jawbecca" having done all the events listed before, I watched the movie.."Everest" and could NOT even begin to imagine what it must feel like to have your body go through that...but i suppose we can debate this until we all have no teeth and grow as old as the trees stumps.....

I think what Jewbacca is alluding to, is the CE marketing team selling this as the toughest mtb event out there.

Indeed, I think the marketing approach and soulless corporate nature of it grind many folks up the wrong way. If you can survive the amount of cheese in that video commentary, you should be able to survive the event.

Edited by Baracuda

i know exactly what he is trying to get across, but if the founders or the marketing teams sells it as the toughest and you go and do it and find it not as tough as another event you have done, then you are entitled to your opinion, for another individual this was probably the toughest event ever done and because of this they agree with the marketing teams....It is the toughest mtb event ever....in 5yrs time they might do another event which they find tougher, until then...The Epic remains the toughest they have ever done....I have the utmost respect for "Jawbecca" having done all the events listed before, I watched the movie.."Everest" and could NOT even begin to imagine what it must feel like to have your body go through that...but i suppose we can debate this until we all have no teeth and grow as old as the trees stumps.....

selling snake oil is selling snake oil......with that same mindset, someone can organise a 30km gravel grind ride and call it the toughest mtb ride ever, because the organiser and his marketing buddy thinks it is the toughest route "evva".

Jewbacca has a valid point.

It is one of the toughest out there, more than likely the best organised and the event with the best media coverage, but a race like the Freedom challenge is just another league of toughness.

Always wanted to do the CE, and I still have a mental image of the first ride they did where they had a couple of Scott MC's (Yellow ones) stacked under a tree during a break. That image, and the accompanying images of that ride stirred up feelings of adventure for me. It was also affordable back then.

So all in, best wishes to the CE and the riders for 2017.

To the marketing CE Dept..... well you did what you do best.

They should market it as the most expensive mtb race, that would be the truth, or maybe I don't know of another more expensive race ... saying it's the toughest is dof, tough for one person is not so tough for another. Blanket statements like that grinds people, especially on a Friday ...