The 2017 Absa Cape Epic route: from whales to trails

News bot

Are they taking on.... THE COBRA (drum roll). Just remember what happened when everyone went down that little downhill near the blockhouse on table mountain in the prologue a couple of years back. 

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Today, 13:34

sometime, on 05 Oct 2016 - 12:15 PM, said:snapback.png

Says the girl who no doubt has never attempted this event?

Did you just assume my gender?

Fixed it for you

I must be missing something. I just don't get the appeal of this event.

I get the appeal of this event, and I am a roadie. What I don't get is the price tag

Oom is JCZA.... he is older and more respectable than me..... (not by much)

Not so sure about the more respectable.

PS: Hope your royalty cheque is in the post. Great footage :thumbup:

Hey, look, they are doing a Staalwater on steroids for Stage 3. I see Oak Valley is coining it again this time. Know some of what they are going to ride.

On a positive note, I will be able to smell their sweat from my home. Maybe I will go and check some interesting bits.

If the SE is having a bad week, then some of those days will really be tough.

Edited by Moridin

Not so sure about the more respectable.

PS: Hope your royalty cheque is in the post. Great footage :thumbup:

I hope they don't fax the cheque.... :) think 2 sec is worth a couple of cents... :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

At least my designer was pleased....

I get the appeal of this event, and I am a roadie. What I don't get is the price tag

You're exactly the typre of rider the Epic is designed for!

Keep in mind that in 2014 Christoph Sauser's team mate was František Raboň, who had only swithced over to MTB a few months before riding the Epic (he was a pro road and TT rider) and they ended up in 2nd in the GC.

Edited by Odinson

You're exactly the typre of rider the Epic is designed for!

Keep in mind that in 2014 Christoph Sauser's team mate was František Raboň, who had only swithced over to MTB a few months before riding the Epic (he was a pro road and TT rider) and they ended up in 2nd in the GC.

Not really at all - Epic is not a roadie event by any means - it has some of the toughest technical race routes around in SA - it is not as technically easy by any means as your local mtb marathon or xc race - not by a long chalk. Clearly not every stage is equally difficult, but the bits you see on tv are not really reflective of the average difficulty - only the easy places to access get tv cameras

Sausers partnering with Rabon was driven by Spez - their reasons for it are their own - but please don't for a moment think that pro roadies don't necessarily have off road skills - plenty of them do - watch this

and you will see.