Titan launch first dual suspension bike, the Sonic

News bot

I am certainly not dissing the Epic or any other steep angled race bike. They have  their place - as fast efficient race bikes for skilled riders. They are a very specific tool, not an everyday mountain bike IMO. I think the skill required to pilot one down a steep rocky track at a decent pace is far greater than required on a slacker 120mm trail bike making them unsuitable for the market they have long been sold into in SA. Overseas they account for far less of MTB sales I imagine, partly because the terrain and lower focus on marathon events. Happily, as we can see, things are changing. Can't believe how long it has taken the industry....

Considering our local trails, I think an epic or XC bike is still the best choice. I had one, and am now on an enduro. I'm by no means a skilled expert rider, but on some segments/trails I'm still just as fast on my enduro. The only trails that the enduro shines through are the likes of upper canaries at Jonkers etc, and there aren't many of those around either.

On the other hand, I climb just as fast on my enduro as I did on my epic. So, no brainer, down hill fun over climbing efficiency. 

Also, I'd much rather spend my time on an epic riding 70 km than on a trail bike.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So we agree, they'll sell well.

And at the end of the day, turnover is turnover. no matter what we think, if it sells well, the Titan HQ will be happy.

Considering our local trails, I think an epic or XC bike is still the best choice. I had one, and am now on an enduro. I'm by no means a skilled expert rider, but on some segments/trails I'm still just as fast on my enduro. The only trails that the enduro shines through are the likes of upper canaries at Jonkers etc, and there aren't many of those around either.

On the other hand, I climb just as fast on my enduro as I did on my epic. So, no brainer, down hill fun over climbing efficiency. 

Also, I'd much rather spend my time on an epic riding 70 km than on a trail bike.

You seem a bit conflicted :-) An Enduro is not a 120mm trail bike.  I also have one, and I would not recommend one to your average beginner or to someone who wants to do marathon events.  My point is simply that most riders would be safer and have more fun on a slacker slightly longer travel bike, like the 2017 Anthem 27.5 or the new Spark. No doubt more people will be on them in the near future. 

Titan have a good business model... tidy good looking bikes (well most of them at least) at very competitive prices!

That's all.

Anything beyond that is over analyzing it :thumbup:  

I used to think my black and lumo yellow Nishiki Altron was the dogs bollocks 20yrs ago, I didn't care that Ned Overend rode something else or that the R&D budget was less than an ANCYL leaders IQ - it's all moot. These will sell well, bike prices have gotten seriously out of hand for most normal South Africans

Titan have a good business model... tidy good looking bikes (well most of them at least) at very competitive prices!

That's all.

I used to think my black and lumo yellow Nishiki Altron was the dogs bollocks 20yrs ago, I didn't care that Ned Overend rode something else or that the R&D budget was less than an ANCYL leaders IQ - it's all moot. These will sell well, bike prices have gotten seriously out of hand for most normal South Africans

You make some good points.

I reckon these are going to fly off the shelves. The price is smart, they're not awful to look at and the specs and geo are beyond 90% of SA's riding population's "F*cks given reserve".

Seriously, if you're a weekend warrior with the odd K2C and local stage race ambition, would you spend R50k - R60k or R30k for pretty much the same bike for what you're going to use it.

100% They will fly off the shelves!

The price and specs will almost guarantee that particularly to the thousands of people coming into the sport.

Prices are getting ridiculous and Titans approach/model will appeal to plenty!

That's all.

http://cdn4.gurl.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/ryan-gosling-laughing-gif.gif

What do you mean by "race proven"?

Do you sell Silverbacks by anychance?

He does not stop with his sales pitch of the Silverback and this whole shock position rubbish thing is now also getting long in the tooth.Time for some more

Comparing the expert to the outgoing spark 960 my wife bought (same price) after the recent cycle lab specials, I am glad we bought when we did. Rear shock aside I would even rather choose the spark over the titan Comp!

For what they are they should be a few grand cheaper than advertised. Suppose those are estimated rates and you could see them coming in a little cheaper anyway depending on shop bulk orders etc.

I would still have to think long and hard before laying down cash on these new titan's!

I started on a titan and have respect for the brand but if they are gong for that "gap" the prices #must fall :) :) :) :P

raleigh/probike late 90's mid 2000's

silverback early 2000's to now

titan late 2000's to now

momsen mid 2000s to now

all very similar business models - all getting lots of people on bikes, why the haters?

TITAN EVOLUTION

From humble beginnings in 2008 we combined our passion and knowledge for cycling into building a brand that challenged the African market. With over 50 combined years in the industry, we mastered technology, applied innovation and predicted new trends to ensure our bikes can compete with the best.

Today our goal is simply sharing what we love, the empowerment that a bicycle can deliver. Join us for the ride.

We are Titan, we strive to #RideBeyond

This is not aimed at anybody in particular but the "haters" that are commenting are not Titan's target market.

The percentage of Joe average, Mid pack, Single Track walking, 40km classic/Marathon riders vs the boutique bike riding #BroDoYouEvenEnduro gurus is probably around 80/20 (And even at that it's probably a bit optimistic)

IMHO it's a well priced bike that fills a gap. That target market just happens to make up the vast majority of your average weekend race. Not saying that 80% of the field will be riding Titan's by the end of 2016, rather that people on a budget now have another affordable option and TBH it's not a bad option at that price point.

This is not aimed at anybody in particular but the "haters" that are commenting are not Titan's target market.

The percentage of Joe average, Mid pack, Single Track walking, 40km classic/Marathon riders vs the boutique bike riding #BroDoYouEvenEnduro gurus is probably around 80/20 (And even at that it's probably a bit optimistic)

IMHO it's a well priced bike that fills a gap. That target market just happens to make up the vast majority of your average weekend race. Not saying that 80% of the field will be riding Titan's by the end of 2016, rather that people on a budget now have another affordable option and TBH it's not a bad option at that price point.

I have not done a test ride on this bike, but looking at the design, it seems a little 5-years-ago. The geometry contradicts the target market as well. A more relaxed geometry would appeal more to the target market. If it was my money, id get a mid-specced hardtail with decent wheels and fork for the same cash. The ride experience will be better.

The percentage of Joe average, Mid pack, Single Track walking, 40km classic/Marathon riders vs the boutique bike riding #BroDoYouEvenEnduro gurus is probably around 80/20 (And even at that it's probably a bit optimistic)

I get what you're saying, but small changes to the geometry and specification would've taken it from a bike that is 'just okay' to one that can appeal to even more experienced riders.

Maybe the 80/20 ratio you are talking about is the symptom of bike companies making entry level XC bikes and Joe Average buying what he thinks is a bike capable of riding techy single track like Nino Schurter.  Poor Joe gets to the single track and the bike does not want to do what Nino’s bike does, so instead he walks down the trail.  Maybe if Joe bought a entry level short travel trail bike he would be riding down the trail instead of walking.

So, are bike companies catering for a gap in the market or are they creating the 80/20 ratio?