wanna increase my avg speed

Hi guys. Im stil new in the mtbing. I think im fit enough at thus stage and can do 60ks easily or 4 hours in the seat nonstop. I cant seem to be able to do better than 20km in an hours time. Should I change gears to x1 with the oval ring or any help would.be.appreaciated.

Thanks.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for the advice frost. its true I always go solo. I also have a 650b & im looking to go for 29er. I think it might also help a bit.

thanks

Trap net die sewe soorte wit waks uit die fiets uit. No on a serious note, I upped my cadence, try to be more aerodynamic (on a mtb) and I use my smallest cog at the back minimal but found that I quite like my 32T oval front and on 16T rear is a nice combination for myself cadence wise. (geared bike)

A bad day cycling is better than a good day working.

Hi guys. Im stil new in the mtbing. I think im fit enough at thus stage and can do 60ks easily or 4 hours in the seat nonstop. I cant seem to be able to do better than 20km in an hours time. Should I change gears to x1 with the oval ring or any help would.be.appreaciated.

Thanks.

20km on what terrain? if it is on 'mtb terrain' with steep ascents then 20kmh is actually good imho. x1 won't make a difference, you just need to trap more and harder

I managed to increase cadence and then speed by forcing myself to stay on my 26t chainring when riding with my group. Invariably you have to then force yourself faster.

Also added 2 short rides a week of about 15km's, but hammer yourself into utter exhaustion. Ride so hard that you almost can't make it home. If you arrive at home and can say hello to your dogs then you know that you did not ride hard enough.

There is many ways to do it. Apart from the obvious (just going faster) I found the best way is to loose less speed - If you are focused on upping the average - look at what makes you slow and work on that.

- Every corner entry and exit - also the manor in which you corner.

- Every hill and bump - go harder and lose less speed.

- Lose weight - sounds simple enough.

- Ride faster - especially with a group that's faster.

There is plenty ways but remember equipment is 10-15% the rest is you.

My advice would be to add interval training,instead of only training distance. If possible,do a FTP test, and also train in your FTP sweetspot,for example,warmup for 10min, do a 5min ftp sweetspot interval (90-95% of ftp), rest 1-2min, repeat the intervals. Then you gradually increase your FTP times. Also have a go at tempo training.

20km on what terrain?

This is the crux of the matter.

All advice posted here may lead to improvement, but without knowing how and where you ride, it is impossible to say which WILL do so.

Give us a view of the routes you ride: gnarly singletrack requiring a high level of technical skills, open road riding requiring an improvement on your FTP, hilly routes requiring an improvement in your power to weight ratio, etc.

If we know what you ride, we can give better advice on how to improve.

Even better, post a Garmin/Strava file or two.

Edited by eddy

I think technique also plays a part here.

Imagine of you could rail pretty much every corner consistently? You will be much smoother meaning faster.

I can feel when I've railed a corner compared to when I haven't and I don't rail them often. The difference is big.

Working on technique will help.