wanna increase my avg speed

Even better, post a Garmin/Strava file or two.

You of all people should be well aware that average speed on strava is not worth much ito comparison... ;)

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't jogging help too?

I try to run about 4,5km daily and when I ride my bike I feel I can go on for longer and also I feel that I can go faster for longer periods before getting really tired. 

Albeit, this is only on the road for now, also short distances. 

Will get back on the tracks after the exams. 

You of all people should be well aware that average speed on strava is not worth much ito comparison... ;)

Ahhh, but we can see where and what he rides.

20kph along the seafront from Muizenberg to Simonstown is different to 20 kph around Suikerbosrand or 20 kph through Hakahana.

I want to see what he rides.....

Ps. I know you spend all your time waiting for me

Try and ride uphill in a smaller cog ( harder gear) than the previous attempt, see how far you get before changing, try and better your attempt each ride.

As for all the advice in this thread, it is all kinda moot, because you say you are fairly new to MTB. Speed is also an effect of experience and base training.

Concentrate on getting the basics mastered, as the good doctor said, do a skills course and then take it from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi guys. Im stil new in the mtbing. I think im fit enough at thus stage and can do 60ks easily or 4 hours in the seat nonstop. I cant seem to be able to do better than 20km in an hours time. Should I change gears to x1 with the oval ring or any help would.be.appreaciated.

Thanks.

Just keep pedalling. Intervals are probably your best friend for increasing speed. If you want a training plan go to fittrack.co.za It is free. I always cycled better when I had a structure in place, not just aimlessly riding

I managed to increase cadence and then speed by forcing myself to stay on my 26t chainring when riding with my group. Invariably you have to then force yourself faster.

Also added 2 short rides a week of about 15km's, but hammer yourself into utter exhaustion. Ride so hard that you almost can't make it home. If you arrive at home and can say hello to your dogs then you know that you did not ride hard enough.

This!

Nobody asked... So I will?

Why do you want to go faster and why 20kmh?  :ph34r:

I ride MTB slow, suck up the scenery, enjoy the trails and views.

Stop and eat your heart out at the waterpoints. Nissan Trailseeker have the best WP's.

Enjoy it. 

I've recently started road riding and my fiancé is a complete newby never having ridden before. The other day we weee having this same chat and I said to her I think we can raise our average speed but put in almost zero extra effort. Some of this might not apply to you but this is kinda what we figured.

1. Get the gearing right. Just being in the right gear makes a difference

2. Plan braking a little better. Don't snatch at the brakes

3. Try to carry a little more speed onto the flats from the downhills. Without compromising safety of course.

4. Know the route

5. Know your body and know how hard to push.

Nobody asked... So I will?

Why do you want to go faster and why 20kmh?  :ph34r:

I ride MTB slow, suck up the scenery, enjoy the trails and views.

Stop and eat your heart out at the waterpoints. Nissan Trailseeker have the best WP's.

Enjoy it. 

Maybe the OP has ambitions of winning races one day.

You can only increase cadence so much. The key is to build strength so that you can comfortable push a bigger gear in a sustainable way. Then your avg speed will increase. But yes also less/more efficient braking.

Well we know he is out there applying all the advise he has received and has not had a moment to join the conversation

Well we know he is out there applying all the advise he has received and has not had a moment to join the conversation

Alternately..... he might have slept in this morning..... :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Archived