The Munga - The Toughest Race On Earth

nathrix

.....Going to be interesting to see how these bodies are going to hold out in the heat! Big heat wave in the Free State. I bet the next few hours to sunset is going to be trying & taxing and this is only the start! .... :blink:

For sure...it must be effing murder in that heat right now. I would be praying for sunset!!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For sure...it must be effing murder in that heat right now. I would be praying for sunset!!

Absolutely...looking at the leaders - they are cooking - the pace...and probably literary...

There is no training for sleep deprivation, but I did read an article once by the dude who has won RAAM (Race Across America) a couple of times. He says that when he did train in a sleep deprived state for the event, he didn't do as well in the race as when he trained and rested properly.

Perhaps she has a cunning plan and will only start once the heat of the day is gone and go through the night?

Look who's suddenly in the lead :clap:

Something I noticed at SS champs , the guy on a cyclo cross bike did not win(or was not nearly as fast as I predicted) or at least I won him and i felt like I was riding like sh#t(riding a 13kg steel hardtil with 140mm up front) 

So i don't feel a cyclo cross bike is ideal.

For this race, I think it is the smart move. Slightly higher top end speeds, slightly more aero, and slightly lighter. All those "slights" will make a massive difference.

If Tim Deane can keep his eyes out of Harm's way he will be in with a crack at a podium..

Jeanie Dreyer might surprise the odd man too!

There are a few names who pop... I wonder if Kev Benky has the legs to beat the guys who have some AR/Freedom/24 hour pedigree.

Will be helluva interesting

Jeanie might well surprise everyone - I wouldn't be surprised to see her take it (my outside bet)

Agreed. The ability to have multiple hand positions would be a massive bonus, IMO. 

Exactly the reason Tim Brink is riding the cyclocross bike - hand options. Took strain on the MTB last year with limited options.

Now, if it happens that JD takes it, will she receive prize money for first ladies and first overall?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

For this race, I think it is the smart move. Slightly higher top end speeds, slightly more aero, and slightly lighter. All those "slights" will make a massive difference.

Jeanie might well surprise everyone - I wouldn't be surprised to see her take it (my outside bet)

Exactly the reason Tim Brink is riding the cyclocross bike - hand options. Took strain on the MTB last year with limited options.

KB had choice between cyclocross and MTB, he took MTB due to congregations. Sounds like the best bike could be the cannondale Slate.

We're getting some updates and images from Johan Badenhorst who is following Kevin Benkenstein.

Im trying to catch up on whats happening, been in a meeting for the last 2 hours. Seems JD is putting in some pace, hope she can sustain it.

I think JD could certainly hold her pace, she is seasoned...

BS I have feeling not so much tho...looks like he is treating it like an ultra marathon and going hard from the gun.

The Sheriff is sitting pretty in mid field...true 24hr racer style...start easy and let the eager beavers pop then cruise on past.... :clap:

...Jeannie "Bomb is stamping her treads early! Wow! I give her plenty credit......but its also 900 kays still to go. Nevertheless, one tough cookie!!

Something I noticed at SS champs , the guy on a cyclo cross bike did not win(or was not nearly as fast as I predicted) or at least I won him and i felt like I was riding like sh#t(riding a 13kg steel hardtil with 140mm up front) 

So i don't feel a cyclo cross bike is ideal.

who knows maybe he was just enjoying SS chmaps

Good luck to everyone riding , I take my hat off to all of you :thumbup:

"SS Champs" & "win" & "fast" in the same sentence?  

I was that guy.

Top day out with some mates, the wife and a few cold ones. 

I also believe that a Cyclo Cross bike would be the right weapon for Munga, 

On the other hand, I have had some extremely uncomfortable sections of corrugated roads & this would get me down if it extends for long periods.  So 45+mm rubber, maybe a Lauf up front and even a thud-buster-type saddle would go a long way.

Maybe next year choosing gear might actually be a reality and not only a discussion on the forum...

First time I follow Munga.

Man!!!

There is something truly special about endurance events.

Archived