PPA: Please obey the rules of the road

News bot

Nothing profound, but we really are our own worst enemies. 

Take a drive to from Green Point to Noordhoek on Saturday or Sunday, and witness.

For the most part, I don't blame motorists for having attitude towards us, if you 100% disagree with me, you are blind to the truth.

I think you're blind to the fact that most motorists drive with equal disdain for other motorists. Look at how many accidents and incidents of dangerous driving you see on a daily commute around CT. Stop victim blaming cyclists. I hardly dare go out on the road because its so dangerous thanks to dangerous car driving. Drivers need to stop seeing their car as an extension of themselves or some some body part and drive safely and patiently, full stop. 

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing profound, but we really are our own worst enemies. 

Take a drive to from Green Point to Noordhoek on Saturday or Sunday, and witness.

For the most part, I don't blame motorists for having attitude towards us, if you 100% disagree with me, you are blind to the truth.

And DARE you say something to a fellow cyclist.....then you are the *************

I think you're blind to the fact that most motorists drive with equal disdain for other motorists. Look at how many accidents and incidents of dangerous driving you see on a daily commute around CT. Stop victim blaming cyclists. I hardly dare go out on the road because its so dangerous thanks to dangerous car driving. Drivers need to stop seeing their car as an extension of themselves or some some body part and drive safely and patiently, full stop. 

No, not blind to anything, why would you even say that?

Just because I say cyclists can also be wrong?

This thread however is meant to address cyclists and our own responsibility to be safe and obey the rules.

Agreed, yesterday I watched someone trying to pull out of their drive way on a double carriage way road, the dude that was in the inside lane, instead of slowing down, indicating and passing in the outstide lane, decides to jump on horn, then brakes and then tell the poor oke he is a P**s and rattled off some more stuff as well. Zero chill.

So you and your family don't own cars then? Or do you happily break the law in your car so you can reinforce your own stereotyping?

So you and your family don't own cars then? Or do you happily break the law in your car so you can reinforce your own stereotyping?

I don't think he's stereotyping. Cape Town drivers don't appear to know of, understand or give a rats ass to following the rules of the road.

Overtaking in the left lane is the norm and that's generally where you'll find a cyclist or pedestrian.

Turning left without checking to see that its clear and yielding to cyclists whilst doing so is a completely unknown rule of driving.

Red traffic lights mean get ready to accelerate. Orange lights mean dice-is-on.

We do suck at driving, its a fact

I don't think he's stereotyping. Cape Town drivers don't appear to know of, understand or give a rats ass to following the rules of the road.

Overtaking in the left lane is the norm and that's generally where you'll find a cyclist or pedestrian.

Turning left without checking to see that its clear and yielding to cyclists whilst doing so is a completely unknown rule of driving.

Red traffic lights mean get ready to accelerate. Orange lights mean dice-is-on.

We do suck at driving, its a fact

That is a fair point but as long as people use "but theeeeeeey do it" as a defense nothing will change right?

My point is here I told a FELLOW cyclist to aboey the rule and was told that he will give me PK? 

WHY? Because some motorist is driving like a ****** it give him the right to not obey the road rules ==== NO it does not.

I will keep telling my fellow motorist to get of his phone and my fellow cyclist to obey the rules. 

That is a fair point but as long as people use "but theeeeeeey do it" as a defense nothing will change right?

Or you get the "so do you want to tell me you NEVER do it?"

EDIT: spelling

Edited by Quagga

Motorists should be following the rules.

Cyclists should be following the rules.

Pedestrians should be following the rules.

And each group should be doing it regardless of what the other group does.

Threatening each other (heck, even our own groups) with things like a PK, showing nasty signs, etc. is, to put it quite mildly, ineffective at curbing the problem. All you have now is someone who is not following the rules, while feeling angry and self-righteous, and who'll be telling all willing to listen about the stupid motorist/cyclist who wronged them, thereby spreading the bias.

Threatening each other (heck, even our own groups) with things like a PK, showing nasty signs, etc. is, to put it quite mildly, ineffective at curbing the problem. All you have now is someone who is not following the rules, while feeling angry and self-righteous, and who'll be telling all willing to listen about the stupid motorist/cyclist who wronged them, thereby spreading the bias.

You may have a doubke bells sir!

To be honest, if someone offered me a PK I'd immediately assume they are familiar with Database design best practices and offers to create a physical index in a sorted order, that will not only serve a link for many joins to come, but also potentially improve any queries. 

To be honest, if someone offered me a PK I'd immediately assume they are familiar with Database design best practices and offers to create a physical index in a sorted order, that will not only serve a link for many joins to come, but also potentially improve any queries. 

Next time, ask if you could join him. But, I'm not sure the PK guy would relate to that very well.

Following the rules is one thing, but my feeling is that the vast majority of road deaths on our SA roads are due to alcohol or drug abuse.

I base this on the fact that I have been cycling the very same route for many years, along a busy road, and the week following a payday or "big event" weekend where people are consuming alcohol, the roads show clear signs of cars smashing into poles, walls, anything else that can't get away and as per a few occasions the poor pedestrians who could not get out the way or even knew there was a car coming for them.

The above said, people need to realise that speeding or reckless driving is just not acceptable, if you cause an "accident" whilst speeding or driving recklessly it is not an accident, but a crime.

Next time, ask if you could join him. But, I'm not sure the PK guy would relate to that very well.

I recon the PK guy would just slip stream him all the way and not work in the front!