Tour de France legends to ride in Absa Cape Epic

News bot

This does put the Epic in a tight spot:

"Any athlete (professional or amateur) under sanction by their federation or national anti-doping authority (NADA) after 31 December 2012, whether at another event or out of competition, will be banned for life from participating in the Absa Cape Epic. Not only will the person not be allowed to participate (as an amateur rider or UCI- licensed elite), but the individual will also be banned from being involved on any level including as a team manager."

After, Hincapies ban was before. 

Says Kevin Vermaak, founder of the race: “As of 1 January 2013, any athlete (professional or amateur) caught using performance enhancing substances, whether at another event or out of competition, will be banned for life from participating in the Absa Cape Epic.

Vermaak continues: “We’ve chosen not to apply this retrospectively because we believe that would be naive. As has been exposed in recent months, cycling has a dark past.

http://www.cape-epic.com/news/409/lifetime-ban-for-doping-offenders/

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is absolutely ridiculous! The Absa Cape Epic is turning into such a cesspool for washed up rugby players and now former dopers. 

“We are extremely excited to welcome two of the world’s leading cyclists into our Absa Pride family and I know that the support and camaraderie they will experience during their first tilt at the Absa Cape Epic will inspire them to ‘Conquer As One’,” said David Wingfield, Head of Marketing: Barclays Africa

David, are you smoking your socks? Hincapie should be banned from setting foot within 50km of a cycling race. 

We should leave these guys where they belong - in the past. 

Mmm

. Why the fuss.. he was given the sanction before the Epic imposed their ban..

Yes it's not ideal to have ex dopers racing/riding, most of us would like to see the dopers never return to the sport (especially the old US Postal crew).. but it is what it is.

For those racing the epic next year.. you have a golden opportunity to give big George a piece of your mind, if you like and if you have the balls to do it.????

But I kinda suspect there will be more selfies with the pair than lectures.????

Edited by Gen

Mmm

. Why the fuss.. he was given the sanction before the Epic imposed their ban..

Yes it's not ideal to have ex dopers racing/riding, most of us would like to see the dopers never return to the sport (especially the old US Postal crew).. but it is what it is.

For those racing the epic next year.. you have a golden opportunity to give big George a piece of your mind, if you like and if you have the balls to do it.

But I kinda suspect there will be more selfies with the pair than lectures.

It is what it is

Do you not get the bigger picture? Absa is promoting these riders as if this is a positive thing, something to be celebrated. 

Can you even begin to imagine how many blood bags Hincapie took lying next to Lance on the US Postal bus? Probably not. 

Hincapie stands for everything that is and was wrong with cycling. To promote him as a hero is utterly laughable. 

As I recall the story went like this:

Did you dope?

No!

Did you dope?

No!

Did you dope?

No!

We are the FBI and this is now a Federal Investigation. Did you dope?

And if you rat out the guy who made you rich, we'll let you off lightly and then go crucify him. All your mates have done it already.

Yes . . . .He made me do it anyway.

It is what it is?

Do you not get the bigger picture? Absa is promoting these riders as if this is a positive thing, something to be celebrated.

Can you even begin to imagine how many blood bags Hincapie took lying next to Lance on the US Postal bus? Probably not.

Hincapie stands for everything that is and was wrong with cycling. To promote him as a hero is utterly laughable.

Yes we all know.. yes there is a bigger picture.. BUT the epic set a date.. his sanction was imposed before that date.. should they say no thx we don't like what you stand for.. yes they should..

But they haven't... so now at next year's epic you guys can all go tell him what you think of him.

As I recall the story went like this:

Did you dope?

No!

Did you dope?

No!

Did you dope?

No!

We are the FBI and this is now a Federal Investigation. Did you dope?

And if you rat out the guy who made you rich, we'll let you off lightly and then go crucify him. All your mates have done it already.

Yes . . . .He made me do it anyway.

[emoji23] [emoji23]

Perhaps what has been said before is no longer applicable as the Ironman franchise are the new owners of the Cape Epic???

Who said what and when about banning etc might no longer be applicable as the new owners perhaps want high profile names to build the franchise further?

Getting yourself into a tizz of what was then and what is now is rather futile !! 

Edited by shaper

Just don't touch Cadel when he is here. . He doesn't like to be touched.

Was about to say he comes from a mtb back ground.

Hope he doesn't bring his dog...

Hope he doesn't bring his dog...

Oh my gosh.. yes he has a little dog that mos goes everywhere with him hey.

I forgot about that.