Lane Hoggers

Moondust

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wake up very early to ride road when there are little or no cars around.  Our roads are quiet except for the occasional car. I think it is then ok to take up a little more room, I hate riding on the yellow line with all the glass.  I consider myself as being considerate to not ride road at times when the traffic is busy and I could inconvenience others.  I also think it is acceptable for me to expect motorists to understand that early mornings cyclists are training and to be a little more aware and patient. 

you are also allowed to overtake a cyclist across a solid white line, as long as it's safe to do so.

Really?Where does it say that?

There are a lot of cars in the driving lane

Yea, but they allowed to be there.  Navigating debris while alone is easy but not so much in a bunch.  

It was the last day of the year 530am in a quite time, I think you and the guy that shouted should take a chill pill 

"the car's" lane. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Bicycles have every right to be in "the car's" lane. We tend to ride in the emergency lane because it feels safer

The driver's perceived impatience has nothing to do with the cyclists reaction.

A Poooos will be a Poooos, regardless of their mode of transport.

Like I have said before, welcome to the SA and TheHub, where attacking others for pointing stuff out is ok.

Bicycles have every right to be in "the car's" lane. We tend to ride in the emergency lane because it feels safer

And I have every right to ride my bike through down town JHB too!

Not impatient or aggressive Spinnekop, merely bringing selfish behavior to light. The tractor and the rubbish guy don't hog an entire lane when there is space on the side. I am more than willing to wait behind them.

Shame man.  Not very accommodating are you?  Must be a hell of a stressed out life you are living getting yourself worked up about your fellow cyclist at 5:30 in the morning.  Hahhahahahaha. 

They also don't swear at me when I talk to them. If you are going to tell them to get off the road and drive off, I bet you they will......

Also, they would have less chance of being hit by the "storm dronk" okes if they weren't in the middle of the road.

I disagree.  But let's leave it at that.  You think the road is for motorists only.  Just another Pretoria driver.  Don't worry......just like the MTB golfers we are slowly starting to get used to you......

I am not there to protect ignorance.  So protect your own sanity.  HR.  Stress levels.

Chill.....wait.....when it is safe, pass.

Easy.

Seriously.

VERY EASY.  Strange.....

So it sounds like the drivers perceived impatience is the bigger issue here?

In general it is.

5:30 in the morning.

You have two choices. 

1. Be pissed off.......*** a cyclist out for being wrong.....try to kill him on your way passed
  2. Wait a bit until it is safe to pass, wave at the people and enjoy your day.

People need to relax a bit.

The driver's perceived impatience has nothing to do with the cyclists reaction.

A Poooos will be a Poooos, regardless of their mode of transport.

Like I have said before, welcome to the SA and TheHub, where attacking others for pointing stuff out is ok.

Aaaaa...but Patchy.....you for get one thing......it is a REaction.

For it to be a REaction, there first had to be an ACTION.  No? 

A cyclist does not swear at a motorist just because he feels like it.  Never ever happened in my 25 years of cycling in and around Pretoria.  Never.

The only swearing takes place when there was an ACTION from the motorist FIRST. 

And that is where the 3 stories comes in and who's is longer and thicker and why don't you ride on the gravel and why warra warra warra.....

Wait.  Safe.  Pass

Smile and wave. 

In general it is.

5:30 in the morning.

You have two three choices. 

1. Be pissed off.......*** a cyclist out for being wrong.....try to kill him on your way passed
  2. Wait a bit until it is safe to pass, wave at the people and enjoy your day.
  3. Pass him safely, make mention that he should rather move over, get shat on and then flamed on the Hub.

People need to relax a bit. - You too dude :)

Ask yourself the question:

Do you think the average South African motorist or Taxi driver, gives a crap about your legal right as a cyclist?

Nope.

That is why it is safer to travel in a group where you are seen and the avg Saffa will HAVE to slow down to pass you.  irritated and impatient but he has to slow down otherwise he gets a dent in his Fortuner and blood and brains in the grill is nasty to clean.