[Event] Bestmed Berge En Dale Classic

PRFullstop

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ASG don't seem to care if the events they host fall on the same weekend as other established events. . . 

Challenge to do both?

Great if you stay outside of Gauteng. Two proper classics on one weekend. Good for guys racing Tour of Good Hope and the Epic.

Seems the BnD date will be the 24th of Feb, given some inside info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Confirmed.  ASG sent out a mail this morning that it will be 24 and 25 Feb.  

• 2 months later...

Confirmed.  ASG sent out a mail this morning that it will be 24 and 25 Feb.  

Has the MTB event been cancelled this year? The entry portal says "closed", even though there is supposed to be 9 days left before it closes. The B&D website now only refers to the road race, where a week ago it still mentioned the MTB event.

Has the MTB event been cancelled this year? The entry portal says "closed", even though there is supposed to be 9 days left before it closes. The B&D website now only refers to the road race, where a week ago it still mentioned the MTB event.

Indeed. From ASG: 

The organisation today made the decision following a minimal entry uptake on the MTB event for this year.

“The Berge en Dale is solidly vested as a road race and the event is set to attract a record number of entries this year, but the interest in the mountain-bike component, which we introduced last year, simply doesn’t justify its presentation,” said ASG Group CEO Heinrich Dannhauser.
“We discussed it with Bestmed and we’re in agreement that it’s more beneficial for all parties to focus exclusively on the road classic and add as much value as we can by leveraging their contribution and our resources effectively to ensure a fantastic outing for road cyclists on Saturday 24 February.

Indeed. From ASG: 

The organisation today made the decision following a minimal entry uptake on the MTB event for this year.

“The Berge en Dale is solidly vested as a road race and the event is set to attract a record number of entries this year, but the interest in the mountain-bike component, which we introduced last year, simply doesn’t justify its presentation,” said ASG Group CEO Heinrich Dannhauser.
“We discussed it with Bestmed and we’re in agreement that it’s more beneficial for all parties to focus exclusively on the road classic and add as much value as we can by leveraging their contribution and our resources effectively to ensure a fantastic outing for road cyclists on Saturday 24 February.

Thanks for the confirmation, seems inevitable that under-performing mass participation events would suffer in the current economic climate. I have heard of 3 companies doing retrenchments within the next month or two, so less people to earn and spend their money. Tough times in a sense for all.

Thanks for the confirmation, seems inevitable that under-performing mass participation events would suffer in the current economic climate. I have heard of 3 companies doing retrenchments within the next month or two, so less people to earn and spend their money. Tough times in a sense for all.

and the race prices just keep rising

• 2 weeks later...

So on to the seeding calculations for this event ...

Wondering if they determined the seeding of the ASG Seeding List, or if they used another method?  If I compare my and my son's seeding from the PPA site I should be starting a batch or two ahead of my son, yet the batch info we received is to the contrary ...

Ah well, gives me someone to chase down ...

Indeed. From ASG: 

What did they expect with a R290 entry fee for a 40km race?

The problem is not with the uptake, more likely with ASG fees.

I asked on twitter yesterday if I was able to pick up my number on race day. They responded saying no number collection will take place on the day :cursing:  :cursing:  :cursing:  :cursing:

I asked on twitter yesterday if I was able to pick up my number on race day. They responded saying no number collection will take place on the day :cursing:  :cursing:  :cursing:  :cursing:

Yeah, if I knew this would be the case I probably wouldn't have entered. Only two collection points, one in Krugersdorp, the other in Fourways both only during office hours when most people work.

Have to schlep through from Pretoria now to collect during work hours.