Anyone using Zwift?

Might be a silly question, but here goes.

I have noticed that some TV`S have android and bluetooth capabilities now built into them.

So i assume you can get into the google play store on the tv and download zwift directly onto the tv.

Would it then be possible to pair the smart trainer directly to the tv`s bluetooth or would that not be possible ?

I am a tad technologically challenged so please no flaming.   

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Might be a silly question, but here goes.

I have noticed that some TV`S have android and bluetooth capabilities now built into them.

So i assume you can get into the google play store on the tv and download zwift directly onto the tv.

Would it then be possible to pair the smart trainer directly to the tv`s bluetooth or would that not be possible ?

I am a tad technologically challenged so please no flaming.   

No flaming here at all ! :mellow: :thumbup: Swift will have to bring out an app for the TV (i.e. Web OS/Android) but TV's are very under powered with low capability CPU's. Do not think they will be ableto handle the Zwift app.

is your laptop picking up the Ant+ dongle ?

Think you may need to install drivers for it.

use to pick it up before.....I'm not an IT expert, but I just uninstalled zwift and reinstalled it, will check tonight

No flaming here at all ! :mellow: :thumbup: Swift will have to bring out an app for the TV (i.e. Web OS/Android) but TV's are very under powered with low capability CPU's. Do not think they will be ableto handle the Zwift app.

There is an app for the Apple TV already, I’ll be surprised if there isn’t something for Android devices, but I wouldn’t know.

I think it was more about the guys forgetting how to ride a race in real life - she would set them intervals and they would program the trainer using ERG and then just sit in one gear while the trainer did all the work - come race day and they would forget that they had an extra 9 or 10 gears to play with.  I'll chat to her tonight and get her to refresh my memory why, but I remember it was a few of her athletes who were of the first on Wahoo Kickrs after using normal dumb trainers and their goal races were very disappointing. 

This is very disappointing. So in fact then, what tf is the point of ERG mode if some real life examples have shown it's in-efficacy (if such a word exists).

But on the oppo end, I'm sure it's help a whole bunch of people too. 

This is very disappointing. So in fact then, what tf is the point of ERG mode if some real life examples have shown it's in-efficacy (if such a word exists).

But on the oppo end, I'm sure it's help a whole bunch of people too.

I find it strange that any rider would have this working against them.

Also if you continue to mix it up, train/do intervals indoors and ride out weekends etc then there shouldn't be problems.

If Zwift is 'played' for the gaming experience, then there'll be disappointment for sure. Conversely, if Zwift is 'played' for the workout effect, while it's storming outside, well the effect depends on legs and motivation. If both of those play nicely, then the outcome will be a good one. Pick one. Right now, both cannot be had

I think this is spot on - as a substitute for maintaining fitness when the weather conditions are less than ideal it's a great option. I have had my setup for about 2 months now and it's been awesome to have the flexibility, especially if you are trying to follow a program.

Endurance rides will always win being done outside, but interval sessions indoors on Zwift are super convenient.

use to pick it up before.....I'm not an IT expert, but I just uninstalled zwift and reinstalled it, will check tonight

Windows 10 ?

The regular updates introduce lots of issues ...

Just from a coaching perspective my wife has had athletes who have trained solely in ERG mode and had shocking IRL races because the trainer was doing all the thinking for them and they had become lazy. So she has actually told all her Athletes that they are not allowed to train with ERG on especially if they are training for a big race.

That’s my excuse to justify why I don’t need a smart trainer. Jokes aside, I feel much the same about being lazy in erg mode. But I guess I’ve only ever done two workouts in erg mode so my views are based on having to improvise like in the real world. Edited by Frosty

Also if you continue to mix it up, train/do intervals indoors and ride out weekends etc then there shouldn't be problems.

Totally sensible.

ERG mode may allow one to focus on the workout, but one also needs to focus on the other aspects of riding a bike.

I think it was more about the guys forgetting how to ride a race in real life - she would set them intervals and they would program the trainer using ERG and then just sit in one gear while the trainer did all the work - come race day and they would forget that they had an extra 9 or 10 gears to play with.  I'll chat to her tonight and get her to refresh my memory why, but I remember it was a few of her athletes who were of the first on Wahoo Kickrs after using normal dumb trainers and their goal races were very disappointing. 

Ok some feedback from the coach - she says there is definitely a time to use ERG mode - usually after a tough 3 or 4 week training block where your legs are fatigued and you might also be a bit mentally tired, or if you have just moved up to a new FTP value and you need to get used to the higher intensity.  She would then recommend it.  But for day-to-day training blocks she reiterated again that it makes you a bit lazy and you tend to forget how to change gears when it comes to riding IRL.

Ok some feedback from the coach - she says there is definitely a time to use ERG mode - usually after a tough 3 or 4 week training block where your legs are fatigued and you might also be a bit mentally tired, or if you have just moved up to a new FTP value and you need to get used to the higher intensity.  She would then recommend it.  But for day-to-day training blocks she reiterated again that it makes you a bit lazy and you tend to forget how to change gears when it comes to riding IRL.

Thanks for that.

My second question for coach would be - in Zwift, you have the choice between ERG and Incline, and even within Incline you can choose the severity. How do you pick which level you have to do you interval at?

post-63970-0-21207800-1598598509_thumb.jpg

Based on what the coach has said I'm going to train exclusively in Incline and see what happens.

I'd like to think this is what most time-crunched weekend warriors do. I know I fall under this category. Focused interval work in the week, LSD rides over the weekend with the obligatory coffee. 

Sorry not having a go at you, but I find it hard to believe this.

If you are doing intervals above FTP or above your "comfort" zone, ERG is not going to make it easier.

If your FTP is 250w, you cant set 20min intervals at 400w and expect to ride it out with ease. the trainer doesnt make it easier in ERG mode if you dont have the strength to hit the numbers.

I'd like to think this is what most time-crunched weekend warriors do. I know I fall under this category. Focused interval work in the week, LSD rides over the weekend with the obligatory coffee. 

I do the same most of time...

okay I havent been doing too much of intervals recently as there isnt anything to really train for, but I certainly dont become lazy or forget how to ride outdoors.

During L5 lockdown, I rode 30 days straight on Zwift, 1650km of intervals, races etc. Never had a problem riding outdoors on first day of L4.

I just find it strange, thats all.

Sorry not having a go at you, but I find it hard to believe this.

If you are doing intervals above FTP or above your "comfort" zone, ERG is not going to make it easier.

If your FTP is 250w, you cant set 20min intervals at 400w and expect to ride it out with ease. the trainer doesnt make it easier in ERG mode if you dont have the strength to hit the numbers.

Read the post again. It's not about easier/harder - its about getting mentally lazy about riding a bike outdoors.