Do eBikes belong on the mountain?

Bike Hub Features

why do you not just motocross or dirtbike. cycling is for those that power themselves

e-bikes are for wannabees and tv coverage of the pros.

Edited by s14phoenix

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw an e-bike being washed at the Croc2croc... Not sure if it actually raced or not but what is an e-bike doing at a race?

Cheating! That's what it's doing!

And then you read the article that is curretly front page on the Hub - of the Sani2C photographer on the eBike ....

Maybe one day we will have an eBike class ??

I currently ride SHORT distance .. all my bust knees can do.  Only a few years and the little one will be too fast for me, and wanting longer distances .....  I may well then get an eBike to ride with him .....  NO transponder, no bragging rights for time or position, purely to get the best out of our time together.

For those that dont have shower facilities at work .... light cycle to work, with plenty electrical assistance, then a harder cycle in the afternoon .....

Should these bikes "compete" with standard bikes - heck NO !!  But there certainly are many out there that can actually get some real use out of this new technology ......

see THIS is what happens when you visit a Specialized store .. they warp your brain ...  :devil:   :devil:

And yet another offering :

https://www.bikehub.co.za/features/_/gear/gear-news/rocky-mountain-introduce-the-altitude-powerplay-e-bike-r6586?source=sidebar

Looks NICE !!

So now there are four motor types :

- Shimano

- Bosch

- Yamaha

- Rocky Mountain (they claim this is their own design, and according to the reports works differently to others).

Seems the lessons of the PV solar game is filtering down to these bikes as well.

Going from 36 to 48V means lower current draw, less losses, less heat generated.

But they conveniently provide "W.h" figures where the rest provide "A.h" figures, so not easy to do a paper comparison

With the high sales figures of eBikes in Europe this may well see an explosion in design technology for the next few years .... GOOD !

And yet another offering :

https://www.bikehub.co.za/features/_/gear/gear-news/rocky-mountain-introduce-the-altitude-powerplay-e-bike-r6586?source=sidebar

Looks NICE !!

So now there are four motor types :

- Shimano

- Bosch

- Yamaha

- Rocky Mountain (they claim this is their own design, and according to the reports works differently to others).

Seems the lessons of the PV solar game is filtering down to these bikes as well.

Going from 36 to 48V means lower current draw, less losses, less heat generated.

But they conveniently provide "W.h" figures where the rest provide "A.h" figures, so not easy to do a paper comparison

With the high sales figures of eBikes in Europe this may well see an explosion in design technology for the next few years .... GOOD !

Not being funny here, but I recon those guys in white coats with pocket protectors in their pockets, are watching and using e-bikes as a development platform for motorbikes, who in turn are being watched by the white coats watching motorbikes in order to develop and carry over tech to electric cars.

now if we can get reliable transport devices (e-bike, bikes, cars, whatever's) that will be running on clean or cleaner power from alternative power sources to the typical coal or nuclear stations, then the world will be an exciting place......well I hope a less polluted place at lease.

Not being funny here, but I recon those guys in white coats with pocket protectors in their pockets, are watching and using e-bikes as a development platform for motorbikes, who in turn are being watched by the white coats watching motorbikes in order to develop and carry over tech to electric cars.

now if we can get reliable transport devices (e-bike, bikes, cars, whatever's) that will be running on clean or cleaner power from alternative power sources to the typical coal or nuclear stations, then the world will be an exciting place......well I hope a less polluted place at lease.

Well I am seriously getting gatvol of traffic. Need to work out a way to afford an ebike or electric motorbike. 

Does anyone know about services on these electric bikes?

Just jumping in here as I just found this thread.....

There is a difference between an ebike and a peddal assist bike, Levo's from Specialized are called pedal assist bikes.... you only get out what you put in....and believe me you still get a proper workout riding these bikes.

There will be haters and there will be people riding them.....just don't understand why everyone have a problem with these bikes, especially the strava junkies!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

And on a sidenote I found this interresting article in a magazine here in Germany.  The ADAC (the German version of the AA-Automobile Association) launched a pilot project in Berlin and Stuttgard beginning of 2016.  They used e-bikes with a trailer to get to stranded motorists in urban areas quicker.  

I take it that they have had quite a bit of success with it as they now launched a similar project in Cologne with this customised e-bike as there has been some challanges with the trailer concept. It turned out that a stock standard e-bike with the trailer and all the tools was pushing the limits of the e-bike.  This customised version should deal with this problem.  Sorry for the bad quality photo.

post-71-0-04930400-1498037001_thumb.jpg

And on a sidenote I found this interresting article in a magazine here in Germany.  The ADAC (the German version of the AA-Automobile Association) launched a pilot project in Berlin and Stuttgard beginning of 2016.  They used e-bikes with a trailer to get to stranded motorists in urban areas quicker.  

I take it that they have had quite a bit of success with it as they now launched a similar project in Cologne with this customised e-bike as there has been some challanges with the trailer concept. It turned out that a stock standard e-bike with the trailer and all the tools was pushing the limits of the e-bike.  This customised version should deal with this problem.  Sorry for the bad quality photo.

attachicon.gifIMG_5252.JPG

The clever things you can do when you dont need to worry about all the kit being stolen!

And then you read the article that is curretly front page on the Hub - of the Sani2C photographer on the eBike ....

Maybe one day we will have an eBike class ??

I currently ride SHORT distance .. all my bust knees can do.  Only a few years and the little one will be too fast for me, and wanting longer distances .....  I may well then get an eBike to ride with him .....  NO transponder, no bragging rights for time or position, purely to get the best out of our time together.

For those that dont have shower facilities at work .... light cycle to work, with plenty electrical assistance, then a harder cycle in the afternoon .....

Should these bikes "compete" with standard bikes - heck NO !!  But there certainly are many out there that can actually get some real use out of this new technology ......

see THIS is what happens when you visit a Specialized store .. they warp your brain ...  :devil:   :devil:

Well written, I agree.

My Mrs.  uses an e-bike and we go for long rides together without her having to stress about the hills. It is also a good workout for me as I battle to keep up with her on these hills as she motor paces me  :blush:

Edited by coppi

• 1 month later...

Bit of an old thread, but this is Moab's take in the matter.

img_0570.jpg

http://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/stories/2014/11/21/max_1653733_793262870736749_2765881818956663103_n_947190.jpg?1416595988

Edited by IH8MUD