Protocol when riding/ joining in a group

Viv911

Hi,

New to this site and also a bit new to cycling again after break of about 15 years..!

I do weekend rides in the Cradle on a roadbike on my own. My question is what is the protocol (if that is even relevant) when I find myself doing the same speed as another cyclist or group of 2/3/4 and we sort of end up riding together. Can I just join in the group and sit at the back or is that frowned upon?  (I do not want to look like I am intruding in their ride hence rather be at the back- or help by alternating on the front..?)

Also when a large group like a club passes, could I join in or do people generally not like that?

I found myself joinig a small group of riders last weekend and the one guy kept looking back at me as if to say get off my back wheel, or should I have helped at the front? They ended up pulling away after accelerating at a corner and I could not catch them after that.

My main aim is to try and keep up with faster cyclists in order to push myself and get my fitness and skills up.

Is there a standard line to ask to join the ride or do I just join in?

Thanks

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i generally greet the guy infront of me and ask if i may tag along for the ride.

then if their keen i ride along.. and do my part of work in the group.

then if their too slow or too fast i kindly say "seeya later" and continue on my own for a while :)

If you caught up to them then you should pass them and continue along your way, there would be no need to join them.  If they overtook you then it is a good thing to greet first.  Followed by a "Can we work together?"  This is better than "Can I join you," because it implies that you are willing to do your share of work at the front.

If Im riding alone and I pass someone and they jump on my wheel without saying anything.....and they do not come to the front within the next two kays I'll get out the saddle and make a very obvious effort to sprint a good distance to get rid of them.  I wont tolerate a stranger staring at my backside having a free ride.

Just join in and see how it goes - you will pick up their attitude pretty soon and don't stress about it.

If they have a system going don't mess it up.

Just say Hi. It's their fault if they're unfriendly. Worst case they tell you to get lost or ride you off their wheel, best case you go for beers after the ride and you've made new cycling buddies.

If they looking like they got an organised paceline going (single file, continuously rotating), it's prob best to ask if you can roll some turns with them (assuming you're of similar strength) otherwise you might be interfering.

Don't say a word, latch on the back and leave enough of a gap so that you don't have to take a turn. Draft away so when you spot a good sign post, Strava segment or the crest of a rise you can nail them with a well timed sprint or injection of pace. ;)

Don't say a word, latch on the back and leave enough of a gap so that you don't have to take a turn. Draft away so when you spot a good sign post, Strava segment or the crest of a rise you can nail them with a well timed sprint or injection of pace. ;)

Accompanied by the words "So long suckers . . .!"

If Im riding alone and I pass someone and they jump on my wheel without saying anything.....and they do not come to the front within the next two kays I'll get out the saddle and make a very obvious effort to sprint a good distance to get rid of them.  I wont tolerate a stranger staring at my backside having a free ride.

Why the hell does it matter? It's not like he is holding you back...You are riding anyway and getting a workout while he is loafing... Pfft roadie mentality

Hi,

New to this site and also a bit new to cycling again after break of about 15 years..!

I do weekend rides in the Cradle on a roadbike on my own. My question is what is the protocol (if that is even relevant) when I find myself doing the same speed as another cyclist or group of 2/3/4 and we sort of end up riding together. Can I just join in the group and sit at the back or is that frowned upon?  (I do not want to look like I am intruding in their ride hence rather be at the back- or help by alternating on the front..?)

Also when a large group like a club passes, could I join in or do people generally not like that?

I found myself joinig a small group of riders last weekend and the one guy kept looking back at me as if to say get off my back wheel, or should I have helped at the front? They ended up pulling away after accelerating at a corner and I could not catch them after that.

My main aim is to try and keep up with faster cyclists in order to push myself and get my fitness and skills up.

Is there a standard line to ask to join the ride or do I just join in?

Thanks

Move over Rover..let Jimi take over

Why the hell does it matter? It's not like he is holding you back...You are riding anyway and getting a workout while he is loafing... Pfft roadie mentality

Because it's rude to just hop on and not say a word. It's not the accepted social convention.

If they said "howzit dude, mind if I tag along", there is no problem at all.

So OP.

ALWAYS greet and ask, if you do that you will find that 99% of the time that you will end up having a lekker ride and probably making a friend.

Because it's rude to just hop on and not say a word. It's not the accepted social convention.

If they said "howzit dude, mind if I tag along", there is no problem at all.

So OP.

ALWAYS greet and ask, if you do that you will find that 99% of the time that you will end up having a lekker ride and probably making a friend.

Fully agree with the above. I have on many occasions, when cycling alone, found a group or so passing me.

I give a few kicks to get up the pace and get to the back of the group.

The back cyclist will immediately look at you, if you say howzit and have a quick chat you will realise 40km has gone by and you are still having a chat.

Very cool people out on the road if you just stick to normal social behaviour.

You do get the occasional D**S, but that says more about them, than it does about you

Good luck out there are welcome back on the bike!!!