Statement regarding cancellation of the 40th Cape Town Cycle Tour from David Bellairs

News bot

I read some of these comments that suggest the organisers profit if the race was cancelled and this was some of their motivation. No one wins when the race is cancelled (organisers, participants and sponsors) It must have been the absolute last resort to make this call.

And on that point, the final call does not come from the organisers, it will come from the VOC commander who has input from police, disaster management, medical, the organisers and others.   

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The only complaint I have is that it is disingenuous to use the wind as an excuse AFTER starting 4 batches of the race in the EXACT place where the wind is the strongest in central Cape Town knowing that the forecasts were for strong wind all week.

Particularly after the experience in 2009 where the start was the problem.

I have not once used any of the terms inept, incompetent or useless. I used arrogant. And I used it purely because of the lack of action around taking precautions at the start.

Did the wind really increase in strength over the forecasts in the time between the Elites being in the chute before 6:15 and the time of the cancellation at 6:38? Or were they genuinely surprised that the wind accelerates through the Civic Centre like it does, despite using it as a start point for a number of years?

Not once have I criticised the organisers ability to run a brilliant race. I have questioned using the wind at the start as THE excuse when it should not have surprised them.

There is no option of me running the cycle tour next year. The organisers are extremely possessive and take no heed of advice or input from lay people. So I'm afraid you won't be joining a GRAND cycle tour as you so sarcastically put it.

You de realise of course that Albert Einstein said "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

The wind blows. We start the cycle tour in the same place every year.

Have you not noticed that your drum is getting worn out, and nobody seems to care about the beat?  The only thing I can offer is this: Just don't enter!  Nobody is forcing you! In fact, PLEASE don't enter. 

And maybe have a cookie - low blood sugar often leads to endless and repetitive rants on the hub. 

I read some of these comments that suggest the organisers profit if the race was cancelled and this was some of their motivation. No one wins when the race is cancelled (organisers, participants and sponsors) It must have been the absolute last resort to make this call.

And on that point, the final call does not come from the organisers, it will come from the VOC commander who has input from police, disaster management, medical, the organisers and others.   

Seriously Rob22, you are RUINING this thread with insightful commentary, fact-based responses and downright good common sense! HOW DARE YOU!!

There are special insurance products for this type of scenario. I am hopeful that the PPA looks at these for future events.

But honestly, why would they?? We will moan for a month then all enter again next year.... they aren't really at risk here.

Its not a PPA event. Its a Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust event. PPA and Rotary are the beneficiaries - not the organisers. 

"by letting the protesters win" bla bla bla "I trained all year..." bla bla

All I see is entitlement. The decision to cancel the largest timed bicycle ride in the world was not made easily.

Apart from that the protesters have tried other avenues to communicate but have been ignored. By us, by the government, by everyone.

Those left homeless with all their belongings burnt with nothing, nowhere to go... they chose this. It is their fault your 3 hours of fame was cut short.... NO

The protesters want water and other, beyond basic services which have been denied them. Their plea has fallen on deaf ears for years now.

I do think OMTOM will be sabotaged, maybe CTCT next year as well. Until people are heard. Until we address the WHY and not just react.

I am appalled by some of the comments on here. I do not condone the destruction of property but this goes far beyond lowering fees or decolonising science. 

Go home and have a good think about why you feel you can be angry and disgusted, when your loss gave thousands of people food, water and support in their hour of need.

Don't get me started on why we as a public sector have to wait for tragedy to supply said things, but rather, for now, look at yourself and ask some serious questions.

Not riding the Argus or the assistance of thousands who really need it. Albeit temoprarily. 

What this man said. i have typed this and deleted this many times.

Exactly, and for me it would def be chappies where the risk of getting blown of that section is very high.

hmmm, I wonder?  Surely if they started the race in a different place it would have changed the weather?

hmmm, I wonder?  Surely if they started the race in a different place it would have changed the weather?

You ARE a clever chap. Were you even in Cape Town?

I didn't read through everything but as far as a Refund goes... the organisers "did the work" they were suppose to setup the race so due to mother nature they cant be blamed. They cant undo the last years work so I feel sorry to them also.

Good call to cancel !

And a very good suggestion here to give us that entered "first option" for next year... hope it happens though !

Sorry that we couldn't do it this year and sorry for all those that have a sub 3 in their legs and you wont get a chance to show it but im sure hard work gets rewarded some whow...keep up the training and before you know we are all back riding this thing (hopefully in December and not March)

So many people on such high horses on both sides of the fence here *SMH*

Hammer meets nail.

Theres no in between.

Its not a PPA event. Its a Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust event. PPA and Rotary are the beneficiaries - not the organisers.

Regardless of who organises the event, the point about insurance still stands.

I said PPA, because they do lots of other events too.

So if the weather was so obviously going to cause chaos, where are all the calls on the Hub from Friday and Saturday that the organisers should move/cancel the race?

Good point, but I think they really wanted to give it every chance possible of proceeding and only after the start of the race did they realise it will not be possible.

As for move/cancel - I am disappointed that they use the term "cancelled". I would much prefer if they say it is moved or postponed by a year. You can't control the external factors so if push comes to shove as it did, just move it on by a year.

Sure you can pay the extra money for applications for contingency road closures, more signage a week before that the M3 inbound lane may be closed, find another start point, reroute everyone after all the planning has been done and plans approved.

I don't think you have any idea of what it takes to pull off an event involving city officials, Emergency services and traffic control. There are laws and by-laws governing massive public participation events like this. Besides the fact that the wind decided that it would prove the meteorologists wrong on the day and put on a show of near gale.

But nothing will change the minds of those who feel aggrieved by the cancellation right. The organisers suck at making this race happen thats why it is the first one ever that has been canceled, because they have no clue. The other 39 were all flukes.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Which met sites do you use? Mine was pretty clear. 12 m/s in CT which can easily be amplified to near gale by venturi effects of buildings at the start.

So after 40 years of experience surely you would have an alternative start point as part of your plan when the wind shows up??? 

I last rode the CTCT in 2014. I remember it being quite windy, particularly just after the start as you went through an 'arch' of buildings.

From those that were there y'day, was this the key problem area this year?