MTB Rigid fork riders

Heel Drop

Ride a steel rigid on one bike. It's pretty rad because the front end is so light so you learn to pop over small obstacles rather than absorb them as you would if you had travel.

Same thing applies to climbing. So much better feel between the bike and the ground. Admittedly I only ride smooth forest ST so nothing overboard but throw on some extra-chunky ESI's and a 2.3 and you should be golden.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a Lauf

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-oRCbBmxAyKc/TY75lY9lrlI/AAAAAAAACHA/paEcpk2pjBU/s1600/Walrus+Bull.jpg

That is a Lauf .../

Had a rigid carbon fork on my mtb and found the feel to be very harsh. To the extent that my gravel bike on 30c tyres felt much,much more forgiving. Needless to say the shock went back on.

I've seen the more slender type of mtb rigid fork that resembles that of a road bike. I suspect that these might give a far more comfortable ride. If I'm not mistaken, I think you can pick up one at Redhub.

Lauf would be a nice option, just that it costs a fortune.

As a matter of interest roughly how much is it for a Lauf?

Niner: R9000.00 new. Carbon steerer.

On-One/MKM 35: R2999.00 new. Aluminum steerer.

I've been hammering the MKM 35 mercilessly for 6 months. So far so good. Besides, axle to crown on the MKM 35 is 490 vs 470 on the Niner. It was suprising how much difference the little bit of extra length makes (I had a Niner before).

Edited by henningvr

apparently the enve is great

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

The enve is a great fork. 

My brothers been riding a niner rdo for about 5 years now, no rider weight limit and the new one is stupid light! That thing tracks insanely! I use an X-lite Ragley branded fork (its what came with the bike back in 09) and its great, but that niner is another level and I believe the Enve is in the same league! 

Absolutely love my rigid. It's a imported one from China, with a 15mm thru axle. 

BUT, I did Van Gaalens one year with the Rigid, and it was not lekker. Promised myself that I will never do it again with a rigid, but definitely with the SS. 

For rides that is one to two hours, rigid is more than ok to handle most trails out there. But I still prefer my Lefty for rides longer than 4 hours

post-14677-0-92553200-1489395250_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wil6

I switched my Niner RDO  fork on the Salsa El Mariachi for this Salsa FireStarter.

Getting the Salsa more gravel travel/bike-packing orientated.

The fork is paired with my Answer 20/20 carbon bar. 

The steel fork is a wet noodle compared to the Niner RDO. 

You can see the fork-ends flexing on the corrugations.

Makes the ride feel smoother than the Niner RDO.  

Also a bit longer than the Niner RDO so bike feel more relaxed and stable.

(above mentioned might be just my perception)  

The Niner RDO is going onto the Contraband SS

Then and Now. 

post-59281-0-58401900-1489398293_thumb.jpeg

post-59281-0-03880400-1489398297_thumb.jpg

We were discussing this on our ride yesterday. The rigid fork beats you up on longer rides, unless you have very good conditioning. Yes, they lighten up the front end, yes, they make you feel more connected, yes, on long rides you are going to feel it.

I currently have the Ritchey Carbon Pro on my bike:

55bf48ef6c1ad74057f7cd678ac9ae6e.jpg

It replaced the steel Niner "licorice" fork:

053730f1867e34ed79400028851cf0d9.jpg

The steel fork was more comfortable, but the steering was vague to say the least, carbon fork sharpened up the handling, but today I feel yesterdays ride between my shoulder blades!

Riding rigid is just a different mindset, that's all. Someone recently posted here on the hub, "Rigid, the thinking man's fork." Very true.

Line choice becomes more important. Fit some decent riser bars, a bigger front tyre with the right pressure, and don't keep as much weight on the front as you normally would on a suspension fork.

Stay relaxed on the bike, with a relaxed grip on the bars. In other words, "moenie die handle bars probeer verwurg nie". Riding "light" is key.